Tourist Visa Question

Hello visa experts,

Me (29) and my girlfriend (25) are now in Phnom Penh after spending about three weeks in thailand. We will be on the road for about 4 months. We now trying to figure out the best way two stay more than a month when we head back to thailand. Since we come from sweden we do have the visa on arrival thing, but we need to stay longer than that, then go to vietnam and after that back to thailand again for maybe a month or so. We have in other words used one visa on arrival all ready.

We are now thinking of applying for a tourist visa (60 days right?) here in Phnom Penh, but if we get it can we still use our two remaining visa on arrivals after that?

The reason we need to stay longer than 30 days in thailand is that we're meeting my girlfriends little sister and we don't want to leave her alone and since she's staying 30 days we want to stay longer than that so we can meet her and drop her off at the airport..

Sorry if I make it more complicated than it is, but any advice is much appreciated.. thai visas are a djungle! :o

Yes, you can still use a visa exempt entry after the tourist visa. There is no limit anymore to how many visa exempt entries you can get (it is not a visa on arrival, that is something different). However now you only get 30 days with a visa exempt entry at an airport, at a landborder you will only get 15 days.

Note that you can extend a tourist visa with 30 days if you go to an immigration office and pay 1,900 baht.

Ok that sounds good... but if I understand you correctly they have lifted the 90 days in 180 days/three entries per 180 day rule? So in theory, instead of getting an tourist visa we could do a visa run after two weeks?

Btw, is it hard to get a tourist visa?

Ok that sounds good... but if I understand you correctly they have lifted the 90 days in 180 days/three entries per 180 day rule? So in theory, instead of getting an tourist visa we could do a visa run after two weeks?

Btw, is it hard to get a tourist visa?

There is no more 90 day rule. But remember that if entering at a border crossing you only get 15 days now.

Tourist visas are easy to get. If you got a 2 entry visa (2000 baht) you would get 60 days each entry.

You could get it while you are in PP.

A similar question....

My parents will visit Thailand for 12 days (so 'visa on arrival' at airport should cover that). However, I want to take them to Angkor wat during that time, then come back to Thailand for their return flight to Europe.

Can they get a second 'visa on arrival' at Poipet, or will it be more complicated?

Any words of wisdom much appreciated. Thanks.

A similar question....

My parents will visit Thailand for 12 days (so 'visa on arrival' at airport should cover that). However, I want to take them to Angkor wat during that time, then come back to Thailand for their return flight to Europe.

Can they get a second 'visa on arrival' at Poipet, or will it be more complicated?

I assume you mean a visa exempt 30 day entry not a visa on arrival that have to apply for and pay for when you arrive.

No problem for them to leave and return but if you enter at a border crossing it will only be for 15 days on a visa exempt entry. If it is a true VOA they would not be able to enter by a land border crossing from Cambodia.

A similar question....

I assume you mean a visa exempt 30 day entry not a visa on arrival that have to apply for and pay for when you arrive.

No problem for them to leave and return but if you enter at a border crossing it will only be for 15 days on a visa exempt entry. If it is a true VOA they would not be able to enter by a land border crossing from Cambodia.

Thanks for replying so fast, Ubonjoe. Can you clarify for me please? What exactly does 'visa exempt' mean? Do my parents need to apply for this before coming to Thailand? (It's been years since I left The Kingdom, so all visa types and regs are completely new to me.) Thanks again. Himachal