The Pub Chiang Mai

Globeliner

Was at 'The Pub' the other day, sat at the bar with a couple of friends, our phones went off simultaneously and the chef who was sat at the other side of the bar told us very rudely to turn them down, this is after we all had a bill for over 1000baht.

Is it me or has anyone else felt the frost on entering this establishment? :o

The chef is likely to be either the host or his brother.

I don't know about the frost but the management could certainly do with a kick up the a$$$. Many people have been through the doors to the Pub and only a very small number feel the need to return. If even a small percentage did return to the place it would be a very good business, they somehow manage to piss people off. The whole set up makes it difficult to really like the place or the owners.

65craig is right its full of oldies and very few young people, thats been the way for a long time and slowly but surely that will kill the place off. The only trade will be tourists and the way things are that too could soon dry up.............being rude to customers is not a smart move at any time especially just now.

The food is nothing special apart from being over priced. So sadly I agree with Globeliner why give a place your business if its not appreciated, plenty of other pubs/bars who can do it better.............and be friendly.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hhper.

100 % agree with you on the managements attitude to obvious newcomers.

ive been there twice in three years and will go back again in 5 years to see if things / attitudes have improved ?

NOT holding my breath for any improvement from these arrogant ar#oles who think they are above EVERYONE

.... dave2

i've got a temper and surely would of caused a scene ...especially if i'd just had such a relatively large bill... that being said, i usually keep my phone on vibrate, with all the noise in chiang mai it's easier for me to know when it's ringing...

those who find it annoying, welcome to 2009. if the person your with chooses to answer and chat away on the phone for more than a minute or so instead of enjoy your company you're hanging with the wrong person/people.

IMHO The Pub serves the best Sunday Roast in town.

They don't even charge for extra roast potatoes if you ask for them !!

I have been there many times and never had any problems with the management.

Ahh... but do they provide free water?

I find it amazing that yet again some find it necessary to bash a business of some hard working people on a public and well-read forum and try to cause damage to them.

If you don't agree with something, you find the service bad or you find the staff rude or whatever you are displeased about show some back-bone and take it up directly with the owner or manager at THEIR place and NOT on a public forum hidden behind a nick name.

Whether the chef or manager at the establishment mentioned was rude or not. None of us can verify that as we were not there. We only hear/read one side of the story.

[/quote

Hardly bashing a business, mearly describing an experience, which I think is very valid, people use the internet allot before deciding where to eat, drink, holiday, live - so on, and then we as readers make our own intelligent decision as to wether to give these business' our hard earned cash. A hairdresser in Chiang Mai turned my hair blued yesterday, I will not "bash" their business but I will put my experience out there so that people can make up their own minds as to wether or not they wish to visit this salon. Its called "word of mouth" a practise that is been in operation for centuries, the only difference is that the internet reaches more people faster! Hurrah!

exactly a good post. sponsors here are very protective of this business ethic. they don't want business interests in chiangmai spoilt

there is nothing wrong with using the internet to report an experience with a chiangmai business. that is not business bashing. it is reporting a personal experience for the benefit of others

bad businesses remain because valid criticism is not encouraged here. just think of some of the restaurant critiques you get in chiangmai media. they usually bear no resemblance to the actual meal and ambience you see when you try it out.

AH I may be missing something here

Yes you are. The Pub is not a cheap, no thrills, boring, girlie, no profit, shithole on Loi Khroh Road filled with losers. It is an establishment that has been running in Chiang Mai since the 1970's.

Have a look here to see what the place is.

You are right! It looks like an EXPENSIVE, BORING, NO THRILLS BAR filed with LOSERS!. You would think someone trying NOT to be a PUB would be able to come up with a better name than ' The Pub " :o

Yes you are. The Pub is not a cheap, no thrills, boring, girlie, no profit, shithole on Loi Khroh Road filled with losers. It is an establishment that has been running in Chiang Mai since the 1970's.

You are right! It looks like an EXPENSIVE, BORING, NO THRILLS BAR filed with LOSERS!. You would think someone trying NOT to be a PUB would be able to come up with a better name than ' The Pub " :o

Have you ever ventured to visit the said establishment?

Or are your remarkable observations based on your visit to the Internet Site. and what you THOUGHT BB wrote

You have made an error that makes you appear a bit silly...BB said The Pub was NOT a cheap, no thrills, no profit ,shithole filled with losers.

He was referring to bars on Loi Khroh Road....not "The Pub"

Personally I think when entering a restaurant all patrons should set their mobile telephones to silent mode. It sure pisses me off when noisy phones start wailing and then the idiots using them start yelling into them as if they were having to be heard 2 kms away.

I don't blame the staff for telling you to turn them down. I would have too had I been there. Only 1,000 baht at the pub between 3? You didn't spend much.

Agreed wholeheartedly. Mobile phones are sometimes used as DEs (dick extenders) or BRDs (brain replacement devices).

Edited by Tyke

I shall not turn off my phone being in whatever company for the simple fact that I have family around that might find it an emergency to get in touch with me at any point of time.

if you spend all of your waking hours worrying with your phone on "just in case" of some terrible emergency befalling them then your life must be very worrying indeed .... are your family working in afghanistan , climbing mount everest , swimming with sharks ?

if you are so concerned about your family then you should spend less time in the pub and more time at home.

how many life and death emergencies have you encountered in the past five years that necessitated your being constantly available.

how did you manage 10 years ago before mobiles were so commonplace ? you survived , and so did everyone else.

get a life.

peoples reliance on mobile phones has become a crazy obsession , and an annoyance for those in their company.

the frequency with which people keep checking them just in case they have missed that all important message or call , (you know .... the call that never comes ... to tell them that some terrible event has occurred that they cant do anything about except tell everybody else before dissolving in panic ), is surely a symptom of a particularly nasty form of obsessive compulsive disorder.

you people need a doctor.

the sooner bars , resaurants , banks and all public buildings ban their use the better.

Have you ever ventured to visit the said establishment?

Or are your remarkable observations based on your visit to the Internet Site. and what you THOUGHT BB wrote

You have made an error that makes you appear a bit silly...BB said The Pub was NOT a cheap, no thrills, no profit ,shithole filled with losers.

He was referring to bars on Loi Khroh Road....not "The Pub"

He did not say he had been there.

I looked at the web site and it is well presented and makes the place looked very well. It would be nice if the prices they charge for food drink and water were on the menu. I have been there once for a drink and found it ok

I shall not turn off my phone being in whatever company for the simple fact that I have family around that might find it an emergency to get in touch with me at any point of time.

if you spend all of your waking hours worrying with your phone on "just in case" of some terrible emergency befalling them then your life must be very worrying indeed .... are your family working in afghanistan , climbing mount everest , swimming with sharks ?

if you are so concerned about your family then you should spend less time in the pub and more time at home.

how many life and death emergencies have you encountered in the past five years that necessitated your being constantly available.

how did you manage 10 years ago before mobiles were so commonplace ? you survived , and so did everyone else.

get a life.

peoples reliance on mobile phones has become a crazy obsession , and an annoyance for those in their company.

the frequency with which people keep checking them just in case they have missed that all important message or call , (you know .... the call that never comes ... to tell them that some terrible event has occurred that they cant do anything about except tell everybody else before dissolving in panic ), is surely a symptom of a particularly nasty form of obsessive compulsive disorder.

the sooner bars , resaurants , banks and all public buildings ban their use the better.

Maybe its you who needs a doctor if mobiles upset you so much.

I think the opening post was something to do with being spoken to rudely and the frosty reception he/she received as a paying customer and not about the virtues of mobile phones.

get a life.

i merely stated whats important for me. if thats unacceptable to you, go piss off to some other forum. having a mobile phone around is handy "to me". its provides that extra benefit to me of not being in the need to look for a telephone box when I do need to make a call or to receive one. It is not an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder that I have.

and who are you to assume whether i spend more time at home or the pub? do you know me? do i know you? of course not. I wouldn't hang out with people like you anyways!

seriously tell me that you do not carry a mobile phone and i'll leave it at that. otherwise perhaps you need to see a doctor.

let's not even talk about the number of people i know who carry their GPS around. In case u don't know what that stands for, its a Global Positioning System you old git!

TB..

get a life.

I agree with you 100%. I hate the dam_n things. Other than perhaps doctors, lawyers, or bail bondsmen, etc., I don't see why people need to carry them with them wherever they go, particularly in a public place. I also disapprove of people who talk on them while driving. I almost witnessed a little girl being run over one day in Europe by a woman who ran a red light; not paying attention while chatting on her mobile. It was very close... and very frightening.

Maybe they should have a talking zone for people who need to talk on mobiles like they have smoking areas for smokers in some countries.

it's painful to read some of the cell phone haters in here... if i can talk to someone next to me, <deleted> can't i talk to someone on the phone? yes, it's rude if you're with company or in a place where talking is frowned upon (eg movie theatre), or while driving...there are more accidents in the states from cell phones than drunk driving...but see if you'll catch a bid from talking on the phone while driving... a ticket maybe, but not a bid)...incidentally, it's illegal in many states in america now and rightfully so...but if it's in a public place where talking is aloud, wtfc if someone takes a call... i suspect most of you complaining are geezers.

I never wanted a mobile phone until I started running a business, but once you have one and can solve problems quickly and easily from far away, it is hard to live without. :o

By problems do we mean, "yes tialc, I come Pattaya see you soon, of course I still love you", kind of problems? In that case I understand!

Funny, isn't it. Why exactly should mobile phone users irritate so many people? After all, people are usually talking all around us.

Speaking personally it's certainly not the ring tone, which only lasts a short while in any case. And a lot of users speak in pretty normal conversational tones. I think you just don't notice these as it blends in with other ("real") conversations.

The irritation (for me) is caused by those users who have to raise their voice, or even shout, into the phone. Probably less common here than on the trains in the UK, where you are commonly forced to overhear what ought to be quite private chit chat for extended periods of time. You also see / hear them in supermarkets, toying distractedly with the merchandise. And yes, in pubs and restaurants, where the volume of their conversation may even preclude talk between the phone user's colleagues.

Why some people have to do this eludes me. Troublesome, as I seem to one of those people :o .

Solution seems to be to limit the call to necessities.

But the really, really bad news is that their use is slowly being introduced onto aicraft.

But the really, really bad news is that their use is slowly being introduced onto aicraft.

The airline industry hasn't seen real air rage until such time as I find myself seated next to a mobile obsessed passenger on a long haul flight! It just doesn't bear thinking about.

get a life.

Sigh, would like to say so many things in response to this, but I prefer to explian my argument rather than attack, because I'm a mature intellectual.

I actually have family in Iraq, which I consider to be dangerous, also my children are under someone elses supervision. I do not spend my life worrying and waiting for the phone, but I choose to have it constantly on and with me because, if there is an emergency, thank fully due to modern technology I can be contacted immediately and therefore react immediately. If venues ban phones, they will be empty.

get a life.

i merely stated whats important for me. if thats unacceptable to you, go piss off to some other forum. having a mobile phone around is handy "to me". its provides that extra benefit to me of not being in the need to look for a telephone box when I do need to make a call or to receive one. It is not an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder that I have.

and who are you to assume whether i spend more time at home or the pub? do you know me? do i know you? of course not. I wouldn't hang out with people like you anyways!

seriously tell me that you do not carry a mobile phone and i'll leave it at that. otherwise perhaps you need to see a doctor.

let's not even talk about the number of people i know who carry their GPS around. In case u don't know what that stands for, its a Global Positioning System you old git!

TB..

High Five!

I don't think its unreasonable to answer a mobile phone in a pub/bar. It is an entertainment venue after all not a library. Mobile phones are here to stay im afraid so the establishment may as well get used to them sooner rather than later.

I have only ever been to the pub once around a year ago. I had no problem with the staff but did find the food extremely overpriced.

get a life.

TB..

:o Go at em Tiger!

As someone else said, if the gaffer doesn't like em in the bar, then have a sign up, or if they'd been talking for minutes on end, then fair enough, but for a simple ring, <deleted>... perhaps the Op pee'd them off somewhere along the line. Always had a pleasant experience there myself.

Seems a bit daft the way the thread has gone though, knocking the concept of the mobile. In this day and age, and being where we are, I find it foolhardy that someone wouldn't have one as backup. I also have mine as a timepiece because I don't like to wear a watch :D

If venues ban phones, they will be empty.

That's what the nicotine addicts said when the smoking ban was introduced :D

If venues ban phones, they will be empty.

I think their use is banned now from cinemas, libraries, and some hospitals & schools too. Who will follow?

Of course mobiles are useful. I doubt anyone would argue that. They're also great a great way of keeping in touch with folks. I think the issue here has been more about the disrespect 'some' mobile users show to those around them. Especially the finger in the ear yellers who feel the need to draw attention to themselves. And perhaps the worse lot are those who interrupt an evening with a friend to chit-chat with those who aren't even there. If there's just 2 of you out socialising, surely it's disrespectful to kick back and ignore your date while catching up with the uninvited guest on the other end of the blower. Isn't it?

And what about all those poor hen-pecked men whose wife's are constantly calling them? "Don't forget to pick up some milk on the way home." How much longer are you going to be? You said you'd be here over 10 minutes ago" and so on.. A lot of poor blokes can't go 30 minutes without the lady of the house chasing him up! And of course, when she's nagging down the mouthpiece at him, she's also interrupting those in his company, be it a friend, work colleague, client, or secret lover.

Being able to use mobile phones on flights is to become a reality across all airlines very soon. As someone else pointed out, i think this will generate more harm than harmony on-board, and we'll probably see a new crime categorised for beatings on the Boeing!

Oh, and let's not forget those ladies of the night, who might just slip into the loo and have a secret chat with husband No.6 to let him know how they're home alone and missing him more than words can say (roughly translated as toooo mut)

Hmm! Maybe it is best to forget the latter, as the minx and her mobile is perhaps a topic for another day :o

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch

tigerbeer

if thats unacceptable to you, go piss off to some other forum. ............ It is not an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder that I have.

......... you old git!

TB..

if treatment for OCD is not your cup of tea , then try anger management counselling. :o

I have visited The Pub 4 times.

Each time there was only available about 60% of the meals listed on the menu.

The waitress treated us as if she was doing us a favour by taking our orders and we litually had to shout across the room when trying to gain the staffs attention when wanting to order something else.

When we spoke to the owner (Graham) about it, he would try and brush it off and his attitute was, take it or leave it.

His last excuse for the miserable waitress was, sorry, it`s the wrong time of month.

The food for whatever was available is quite good, that is why I gave it a good try before giving up after the forth time, because we found the place as not very user friendly and I will not visit The Pub again.

Edited by sassienie

I, ve fond most COOKS , well thats what they are, tend to be full of themselves. Especially since the advent of the TV chefs. You get them now thinking they are Gordon Ramsey. After spending a grand in a place and then being told to turn down your phone would P*&s me right off. I would call someone I knew and tell the very loudly about the lousy, expensive meal I'd just had. :D
I couldnt agree more, i watched parts of some tv programmes in the uk where these arrogant rude @ssholes were obviously playing to the cameras and being complete tossers, no wonder kids are like they are when adults behave this way, as you say glorified cooks,having tantrums and showing off, ! :o

tigerbeer
if thats unacceptable to you, go piss off to some other forum. ............ It is not an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder that I have.

......... you old git!

TB..

if treatment for OCD is not your cup of tea , then try anger management counselling. :D

that was exactly what i would prescribe to you! .. your old git! go back and read your reply to me and see who needs anger management.... :o

I, ve fond most COOKS , well thats what they are, tend to be full of themselves. Especially since the advent of the TV chefs. You get them now thinking they are Gordon Ramsey. After spending a grand in a place and then being told to turn down your phone would P*&s me right off. I would call someone I knew and tell the very loudly about the lousy, expensive meal I'd just had. :o

what do you know, go and phone someone if it makes you feel better