The Pub Chiang Mai

Globeliner

Most of this doesn't sound like the Pub that I know. Its one of only 3 or 4 Farang run places in Chaing Mai that I'm happy to visit. One reason is the clientele is not the usual bunch of loud mouthed louts (Usually from the UK) and tourists you find in places like the UN Irish, CM saloon, Red Lion etc. etc. etc.

Always found the food to be great, the staff friendly and the atmosphere pleasant and homely. It's not somewhere I'd go for a big night out when in party mode, but it is a nice place to enjoy good food and a chat in a relaxed environment. If the management discourage some of the riff raff from other places then I'd say they're doing a good job :o

ok so you like it, but many don't

went yesterday and food was good but overpriced and certainly no atmosphere. usual thai service.

if un, cm red lion etc were that bad would they not be empty?? and they aren't are they?

let people decide themselves

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it amazing that yet again some find it necessary to bash a business of some hard working people on a public and well-read forum and try to cause damage to them.

If you don't agree with something, you find the service bad or you find the staff rude or whatever you are displeased about show some back-bone and take it up directly with the owner or manager at THEIR place and NOT on a public forum hidden behind a nick name.

Whether the chef or manager at the establishment mentioned was rude or not. None of us can verify that as we were not there. We only hear/read one side of the story.

posters have already said they have done that and got nowhere. he is not a friendly mein host by anyone's standards. he was arguing loudly with two regulars when i was there then went off in a huff. the argument was so loud you couldn't hear any mobile phones ringing.

if un, cm red lion etc were that bad would they not be empty?? and they aren't are they?

:D Actually, exactly my point, they are full, but full of the kinda people I'd rather not be in the presence of. If these places were empty I might actually go there :o

:D Actually, exactly my point, they are full, but full of the kinda people I'd rather not be in the presence of. If these places were empty I might actually go there :o

good idea. would leave the other pubs in chiangmai for the rest of us

:D Actually, exactly my point, they are full, but full of the kinda people I'd rather not be in the presence of. If these places were empty I might actually go there :D

Enjoy! :o Anyway, there are so so many much better Thai places to go to where there are no Farangs :D

What a ridiculous comment - sounds like you'd be better staying at home alone, then there would be no chance you'd come into contact those 'kinda people'. I get the distinct impression from some posts that the pub is looked on by some as there own personal gentlemans club. And those 'kinda people' are not welcome. (Whoever those kinda people are)

The pub has been going down hill for some years and the above attitude of some of the patrons along with the unfriendly management of the place will eventually, it seems to me, bring it down. Certainly any pub/bar/restaurant cannot survive if people don't return for whatever reason, customers having stand up arguments with the manager/owner, televisions being turned off early, turn your mobile off, and a take or leave it attitude is a sure fire way to lose a business and money.

It would be a shame if a place like the pub closed all together as it does have a few things going for it that other bars/pubs don't. Although in its current state - as has been amply demonstrated on this thread - maybe its days are numbered.

I'd like to go back there but not the way its being run at the moment.

I have been to this establishment twice and both times got a very frosty reception from mainly the regulars who gave me the impression I was invading their territory by being there in the first place.

I also know who the fat chef is to who you are referring. Fair enough, some patrons might not want to listen to mobiles ringing, but if the bar wanted to become a mobile free zone, it should advertise this fact on the front door, after which I am sure they would get a lot less customers.

The chef could have asked you politely to turn down your phone as well. I will not go there ever again.

[/quotethe

The real issue is the rudness.Ihave noticed over many years that some Thais have a real contempt for falangs for a variety of reson and demonstrate their lack of education and class by vent on them.They take our business for grantide.I would have told him as I was leaving how rude he was and that I'm never comming back and I will spread the word to all my falang frinds including the owner. :o

I am not in CM for 365 days of the year and (maybe because of this) do not often frequent "farang" establishments. My personal preference is to entertain gf and friends at a Thai venue.

I have, however, been to both Tuskers and The Pub several times and have always received a warm welcome at both.

If I were to receive rude treatment, then I would simply vote with my feet.

There are too many great venues in CM to get upset about this.

Mark

It just came to mind that most, if not all, mobile phones can be switched to silent mode by simply holding down the # key for a few seconds. By pressing the # key again for a few seconds the normal mode will be reactivated.

Edited by Blinky Bill

Was at 'The Pub' the other day, sat at the bar with a couple of friends, our phones went off simultaneously and the chef who was sat at the other side of the bar told us very rudely to turn them down, this is after we all had a bill for over 1000baht.

Is it me or has anyone else felt the frost on entering this establishment? :o

Yammering away on the phone while in a restaurant is rude. I wish the staff at more restaurants would tell their customers to <deleted> when they start doing that.

:D Actually, exactly my point, they are full, but full of the kinda people I'd rather not be in the presence of. If these places were empty I might actually go there :D

Enjoy! :o Anyway, there are so so many much better Thai places to go to where there are no Farangs :D

Always found the food to be great, the staff friendly and the atmosphere pleasant and homely.

changed your mind about the pub now that so many have pointed out its limitations then have we?

What a ridiculous comment - sounds like you'd be better staying at home alone, then there would be no chance you'd come into contact those 'kinda people'. I get the distinct impression from some posts that the pub is looked on by some as there own personal gentlemans club. And those 'kinda people' are not welcome. (Whoever those kinda people are)

The pub has been going down hill for some years and the above attitude of some of the patrons along with the unfriendly management of the place will eventually, it seems to me, bring it down. Certainly any pub/bar/restaurant cannot survive if people don't return for whatever reason, customers having stand up arguments with the manager/owner, televisions being turned off early, turn your mobile off, and a take or leave it attitude is a sure fire way to lose a business and money.

It would be a shame if a place like the pub closed all together as it does have a few things going for it that other bars/pubs don't. Although in its current state - as has been amply demonstrated on this thread - maybe its days are numbered.

I'd like to go back there but not the way its being run at the moment.

GOOD HONEST SUMMARY of this thread. those trumpeting its merits have lost the plot and must have been wearing blinkers

It's not a place (The Pub) that I now visit frequently.

I might say that it has lost a lot of it's character over the years.

AND to still be quoting "one of the worlds best bars" is a bit of a joke. It might have been in 1987 (when it was so judged)

My best memories are during the time that Nai and Peter were in the chair.

............................... The pub has been going down hill for some years and the above attitude of some of the patrons along with the unfriendly management of the place will eventually, it seems to me, bring it down..........................

Hhper, how many years can you base this observation on? I have been going to The Pub since 1983 and have seen it go through many ups and downs since then with various owners, but it is still there and hopefully will continue for many years to come. Actually there is a chunk of the front door step missing where I once rode my old AJS 500 motorcycle in during the Nigel and Darunee Parker days.

It was a long established business back in the early 1980's and along with the Riverside, the only non-Thai owned restaurant businesses from back then to be still operating today that I can recall.

Edited by Blinky Bill

I don't think its unreasonable to answer a mobile phone in a pub/bar. It is an entertainment venue after all not a library. Mobile phones are here to stay im afraid so the establishment may as well get used to them sooner rather than later.

You're assuming that the OP was really scolded for answering the phone as opposed to yammering away on it.

Was at 'The Pub' the other day, sat at the bar with a couple of friends, our phones went off simultaneously and the chef who was sat at the other side of the bar told us very rudely to turn them down, this is after we all had a bill for over 1000baht.

Is it me or has anyone else felt the frost on entering this establishment? :o

The reason the chef is usually sat at the bar is because the food is so bad these days that no one wans to eat it, so he has nothing to cook ! Used to be quite acceptable a year ago.

Always found the food to be great, the staff friendly and the atmosphere pleasant and homely.

changed your mind about the pub now that so many have pointed out its limitations then have we?

Nope, you just missed the point, I was reffering to UN Irish, Red Lion etc etc which are places I avoid, NOT the Pub. The Pub is OK, for an occasional meal/beer and chat; if I want a good night out then I go with Thai friends to Thai places. It's my choice as to where I like and where I don't and I'm entitled to my opinion, please respect that.

I've always found the Pub management polite and courteous, I'd say the food has actually improved recently, particularly the pies. I've never witnessed any of the kind of incidents described in this thread. Others clearly have different opinions and experiences, or maybe are the owners of rival establishments trying to denigrate a competitor, who knows?

Nope, you just missed the point, I was reffering to UN Irish, Red Lion etc etc which are places I avoid, NOT the Pub. The Pub is OK, for an occasional meal/beer and chat; if I want a good night out then I go with Thai friends to Thai places. It's my choice as to where I like and where I don't and I'm entitled to my opinion, please respect that.

I've always found the Pub management polite and courteous, I'd say the food has actually improved recently, particularly the pies. I've never witnessed any of the kind of incidents described in this thread. Others clearly have different opinions and experiences, or maybe are the owners of rival establishments trying to denigrate a competitor, who knows?

good point. i'm all for respecting other people's views. i respect yours and you clearly respect mine. thank you.

i don't own rival establishments but for information what is the rabble bit about for UN and Red Lion. I've never been and like you I prefer thai places with no farang.

As pointed out by many posters, if you don't like it then don't go. EASY

I believe it should not put off new visitors or locals who have never visted the establishment, in fact it's intrigued me enough to pay a visit later in the year when I'm in Chiang Mai (if still open)

People have different tastes so until you have tried it yourself............................

As pointed out by many posters, if you don't like it then don't go. EASY

I believe it should not put off new visitors or locals who have never visted the establishment, in fact it's intrigued me enough to pay a visit later in the year when I'm in Chiang Mai (if still open)

People have different tastes so until you have tried it yourself............................

sometimes threads - if they are kept running - are good for business. best recent example is kevin hunt's free water thread which even he thought exceeded his own expectations for length. good marketing. it's still being talked about, weeks after it started

any news is good news

IMHO The Pub serves the best Sunday Roast in town.

They don't even charge for extra roast potatoes if you ask for them !!

I have been there many times and never had any problems with the management.

!00% agree with you. I returned to the Pub yesterday (Sunday 25th January) with an old mate from England and a Thai friend. We had 2 roast beef lunches and some Thai food. The food was excellent. Large portions and the roasts accompanied by good gravy and horse radish. My family have been patrons for many years and have always found the same quality and good service. Also a very warm welcome from both Grahame and Richard.

As a by-the-way the many customers who use The Pub seem to be a broad spectrum of both tourists and ex-pats of all ages. I have yet to see anyone come away unsatisfied.

TRY READING THE POSTS.

If The Pub management want to brush off these criticisms like they do with the complaints of their customers, than that’s up to them.

Plenty of other eating establishments in Chiang Mai. Now many of us have changed our venue to the Queen Victoria. And, no, I don’t have shares in that.

Edited by sassienie

!00% agree with you. I returned to the Pub yesterday (Sunday 25th January) with an old mate from England and a Thai friend. We had 2 roast beef lunches and some Thai food. The food was excellent. Large portions and the roasts accompanied by good gravy and horse radish. My family have been patrons for many years and have always found the same quality and good service. Also a very warm welcome from both Grahame and Richard.

As a by-the-way the many customers who use The Pub seem to be a broad spectrum of both tourists and ex-pats of all ages. I have yet to see anyone come away unsatisfied.

TRY READING THE POSTS.

If The Pub management want to brush off these criticisms like they do with the complaints of their customers, than that's up to them.

Plenty of other eating establishments in Chiang Mai. Now many of us have changed our venue to the Queen Victoria. And, no, I don't have shares in that.

Thank you,

Yes I have read the many posts on this thread and I stand by what I have posted - I have yet to SEE anyone come away unsatisfied. With respect to Blinky Bill, I first visted Chiang Mai in 1976, my family have lived here for 40 years and I have resided here for the past 10 years. Yes, The Pub has passed through many hands and I am more than satisfied with the current owners, service, quality of food and variety of patrons.

I am also a customer of the various other establishments listed in this thread and depending on my mood and inclination - I am happy to eat/drink at most of them.

However The Pub is special and for what it is worth - they get my vote

TRY READING THE POSTS.

If The Pub management want to brush off these criticisms like they do with the complaints of their customers, than that's up to them.

Plenty of other eating establishments in Chiang Mai. Now many of us have changed our venue to the Queen Victoria. And, no, I don't have shares in that.

Thank you,

Yes I have read the many posts on this thread and I stand by what I have posted - I have yet to SEE anyone come away unsatisfied. With respect to Blinky Bill, I first visted Chiang Mai in 1976, my family have lived here for 40 years and I have resided here for the past 10 years. Yes, The Pub has passed through many hands and I am more than satisfied with the current owners, service, quality of food and variety of patrons.

I am also a customer of the various other establishments listed in this thread and depending on my mood and inclination - I am happy to eat/drink at most of them.

Your vote has been "registered" and you are entitled to your opinion

But what the other poster said is valid. Most people are dissatisfied. Count the responses yourself. You are in the minority but to be clear yes we all respect your opinion, But please respect majority oinion.

Queen Victoria still open?? :o

edit: Just to add that i am sure business is booming at The Pub right now. Thanks to the OP. Hope Graham comes forward to confirm this :D

Edited by jalebi

TRY READING THE POSTS.

Thank you,

Your vote has been "registered" and you are entitled to your opinion

But what the other poster said is valid. Most people are dissatisfied. Count the responses yourself. You are in the minority but to be clear yes we all respect your opinion, But please respect majority oinion.

The vast majority are dissatisfied and the proof of that is to visit anytime during the daytime when its almost deserted and nightimes when it doesn't fair much better.

This is from the website -

'Enjoy the warm friendly atmosphere of this genuine olde English pub situated near the heart of the city. This tranquil oasis offers you cool drinks, good food and service with a smile.'

Its soo tranquil................. its dead. Warm and friendly atmosphere............well read a few posts to get a flavour of the warmth and friendliness.

Queen Victoria still open?? :o

edit: Just to add that i am sure business is booming at The Pub right now. Thanks to the OP. Hope Graham comes forward to confirm this :D

exactly

the older thread started by kevin hunt improved takings at his establishment, this is doing the same

there is no such thing as bad news for a business. tv is good free advertising.