The Mexican Food In Pattaya Is Not Good

Jingthing

One poster says the enchiladas he had sucked.

Wow. When did I say that?

If I recall correctly, I gave a very balanced opinion of them, saying that the beans and rice were pretty good. If the restaurant doesn't do enchiladas well (I picked it because it seems a very basic Mexican item and nothing else seemed much more appealing), why do they even offer them?

I admit I could be wrong-that I picked the one mediocre thing on the menu, but they should take it off or improve it. As thing are now, I'm never going back because spending 260 baht on a mediocre meal is not appealing to me (nor to most expats).

I guess it depends upon your definition of "sucked", Jimmy. :) As I define it, your description of the enchiladas (I didn't mention the other items on the plate) was bad enough to say that they sucked; especially when including the "value" issue you noted.

But I do disagree with your personal feeling that you'd never return to a place because of a bad experience with one meal. I would never say that it's "wrong". It's your personal policy, and obviously you have every right to it. But I'd always give a place a second chance; particularly for a hard to find ethnic food.

Mexican food... a ethnic food? better check in the dictionary what that word means lol and explain us why not just Mexican people eat Mexican food, and why I have costumers from USA, Mexico, Latin America, Japan, India, England, Australia, Sweden, Germany, Thailand, China, Singapore, Philippines and Canada?

And, I am agree with Jimmy, I was there last Saturday and the enchiladas where just as he described and Nachos just ridiculous, plus the no very friendly atmosphere.

I hope that the improve that after they move by Next month

Salud !

:D

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am getting sick and tired about all that crap where is the best Mexican food or Italian food or what ever it is you are in Thailand don't forget if you like good Mexican food book a ticket to Mexcico or what ever food you like but I guess all you expats are the same. Complaining about the devaluation about your currancy might it be $ or pounds. Why not try to live like every body here in Thailand.

That was weird ! lol

Cha yen yen my friend, we expats want just to help you to improve your country, if you get tired of this topic just switch to an other one and relax :)

Cheers

Tried Mikes last night, apart from being in a plastic cocoon to shelter from the dust from the ever ongoing road works, the food was great with massive portions.

The bike had about a inch of dust over it at the time to leave, will they ever finish the road?

Their range of Tequila is good too with the top end at 1300 baht a shot.

Good news, the road is now blacktopped and the plastic curtain gone and Mike's has not yet moved to it's new location.

Tried Mikes last night, apart from being in a plastic cocoon to shelter from the dust from the ever ongoing road works, the food was great with massive portions.

The bike had about a inch of dust over it at the time to leave, will they ever finish the road?

Good news, the road is now blacktopped and the plastic curtain gone and Mike's has not yet moved to it's new location.

Pattaya needs a TACO BELL. :)

This is an old thread........surprised to see it come back. I still would like to see a chain of Taco Bells in Thailand. It isn't "gourmet" but it is OK. It would really be a big hit in some farang section of town near the bars.

About what is in Pattaya now:

Mikes was just OK to me........nothing really special.

Tequilla Reef makes good pork fajitas and the LA Burrito is OK (horrible salsas)

Blue Parrot makes very good beef tacos.......beans and rice also good BUT each time I ate there I have come away sick at my stomach (but have not eaten there in five years.....maybe it is fine now).

Really......the only place I have had decent Mexican food in Thailand was at Tacos and Salsa in Bangkok.

Maybe Jorge (the owner) will eventually set up a place in Pattaya.

Still, I have yet to find what I crave: Tex-Mex like back home.......places like El Fenix and Joe T. Garcias (a few of you probably know what I am talking about here but most no doubt do not).

No small portions.........nothing healthy on the menu.......good prices......delicious food. People say they serve Tex-Mex........but I know better........you can't even find Tex-Mex in Thailand.

So, for me, if Taco Bell came I would probably go there given the other choices are not that great and overpriced.

Try out the Beaver Bar in Ban Chang for excellent Tex-Mex.

The owner is a good old boy from South Texas and he knows how to cook American down south food as well. How about bisquits and sausage gravy for breakfast??

His enchiladas (beef and chicken) are worth the drive over. I usually get several of them and freeze them for later. You will not be disappointed.

Beaver Bar is on the Street of Dreams where all the bars are, just past McAllisters.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I also know El Fenix and Joe T. Garcia's. Had many a meal there in the past.

Edited by chuckd

• 2 weeks later...

First, I'd like to agree that there is a lack of proper Mexican food in Pattaya. Sunrise in Bangkok is excellent, and Miguel's in Chiang Mai is alone almost worth the trip up there.

I've tried most Mexican places here...

Mikes - good portions, but not at all spicy (when requesting the spicy entrees).

Tequila Reef - went there once about four years ago... enough said.

Blue Parrot - see above.

There is another well hidden Mexican eatery that hasn't been mentioned in this thread (at least not in the first three pages of the thread). The Pattaya Cantina, which is located near Soi Yensabai makes decent food, but not perfect food - but it gives these other places a run for the money. A plus for me is that they stock habaneros, and will add them to any dish you request. The owner is Mexican from San Diego, and I once had the pleasure of eating there when his mother was visiting... had a fabulous meal. On the downside, there isn't much to choose from on their menu - the Thai food section is bigger, but what they make is good. They tend to skimp on the cheese, but they always give extra cheese without charging extra for it. They also do not offer ground beef, which is what I prefer on nachos. The tortilla chips are great. Atmosphere is OK, there's a nice free pool table to use while you wait for your food. All in all, it's not on the same level as Miguel's or Sunrise, but it's where I choose to go in Pattaya when I'm too lazy to cook myself.

The place is situated in the southernmost of the new blocks of buildings built opposite the Family Mart on Soi Yensabai, right at the bend near Yensabai Condos. The coordinates are:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=12%C2%B055%2...l=en&tab=wl

I agree, I thought the Taco Bell in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia was good.

Taco Bell? Fast food. NOT Mexican food.

Fast food, yes.........but in relationship to what is being presented in Pattaya as "Mexican food," Taco Bell looks good. I would eat there any day before eating at any of the other places mentioned here. At least Taco Bell can make a simple bean and cheese burrito (and probably sell it in Thailand for 40 - 60 baht).

Taco Bell? Fast food. NOT Mexican food.

Fast food, yes.........but in relationship to what is being presented in Pattaya as "Mexican food," Taco Bell looks good. I would eat there any day before eating at any of the other places mentioned here. At least Taco Bell can make a simple bean and cheese burrito (and probably sell it in Thailand for 40 - 60 baht).

I will reluctantly give you that point but I would hope we can set the bar higher. After all more than one restaurant has proven it is possible to do decent versions here in Thailand.

The owner is Mexican from San Diego

No he's not. Puro gringo!

Tal vez no es puro mexicano, but I did meet his mother, she WAS latino. He has latin blood in him, but this is besides the point. The POINT was that it was another Mexican place here that hadn't previously been mentioned.

Edited by Hobgoblin

i have just returned from the Hilton hotel Irufushi in the Nooru Atoll in the Maldive Islands, where every Wednesday night they have a $50 all you can eat Mexican buffet. I can attest it was very good. They used only the best available ingredients and was of a very high international standard.

Oddly, they didn't have tacos but they had just about everything else Mexican.

It sounds expensive by pattaya standards, or any standard, but for the expensive Maldive islands, it was really quite a bargain.

I think Villa Market still carries these frozen Mexican burritos which are guaranteed to make you "drive that porcelain bus" if you know what i mean.

• 2 years later...

I went to Mikes today and will not go back. The chicken fajitas were burnt, the flour tortillas the worst I ever ate, and the chips/salsa a bad imitation of the real thing.

The place is no where near a real tex-mex restaurant in the US.

I went to Mikes today and will not go back. The chicken fajitas were burnt, the flour tortillas the worst I ever ate, and the chips/salsa a bad imitation of the real thing.

But how does it compare to the other available Tex-Mex options in Pattaya?

Who cares?

Very soon we will have Sunrise here and have at least half decent (California style mostly) Mexican food here.

Until then, save your pesos! Why spend on Mexican dreck?

Edited by Jingthing

Luckily, wifey does some great mexican dishes. We ate at Mike's one time and we thought it was OK. Not perfect, but way better than horrible. We enjoyed our food, considering where we were. Just had mexican today here in Nevada at our favorite hole in the wall. Tough to beat.

Luckily, wifey does some great mexican dishes. We ate at Mike's one time and we thought it was OK. Not perfect, but way better than horrible. We enjoyed our food, considering where we were. Just had mexican today here in Nevada at our favorite hole in the wall. Tough to beat.

Lucky dog!

It tastes like every other Mexican place in Pattaya -- Simply Horrendous Imitation Tacos........:whistling:

It tastes like every other Mexican place in Pattaya -- Simply Horrendous Imitation Tacos........:whistling:

For now, I'll stick with Beefeater's weekend B 250 Tex-Mex buffet...decent food and good value.

• 3 months later...

Sunrise Tacos Review: Taco Tuesday/Friday Promotion

I paid my first visit to Sunrise Tacos, Jontiem Beach this past Friday to sample their all-u-can-eat taco promotion which happens every Tuesday and Friday (2-7pm only). This restaurant was reviewed extensively during their opening period a few months past however now that the teething period is over and nothing has been said in the mean time, it's time for another review of this ThaiVisa sponsor.

I paid a visit @ 4pm on the day and most of the tables were occupied (by singles or duos) and I was greeted promptly and my (first) order taken promptly (there have been issues mentioned in previous posts about lack of service, but this was not apparent on this visit).

The 220 baht taco promotion (http://sunrisetacos.com/tacotuesdaymenu.pdf) includes the following unlimited items:

- access to the salsa bar

- soft flour, soft corn, or crispy tacos of the following types: grilled chicken, ground sirloin (beef), carnitas (pork), or grilled vegetable

- All Pastor tacos (soft flour with pork)

- Baja fish tacos (soft flour with Red Snapper)

- Apple or Pumpkin pie

Additionally, there is a 100 baht promotion on selected cocktails and wine

What I ordered:

- soft chicken (x1)

- soft beef (x1)

- soft pork (x1)

- Al Pastor (x1)

- Baja (x2)

- crispy beef (x2)

- pumpkin pie (x1)

- Coke @ 40 baht

- Horchata (beverage) @ 69 baht

Total: 387 baht (including 33 baht service charge & 25 baht VAT)

Service:

Service was good but there were a couple of minor issues: I ordered water but was served Coke (Coke can @ 40 baht is severely over-priced. I think the server was confused because I wanted the promotional gigante Coke in the souvenir glass, but they had ran out. Another issue was that I ordered hard/crispy tacos for my 1'st round, but everything was served soft ( I think you need to be clear about what you prefer (ie point to the photo of a hard taco like I did for the 2'nd round, also there is no mention of hard/crispy tacos on the promotion menu but it is included). I did not have to wait long for my food (an issue mentioned in previousposts) and I did not wait long for the server to take orderes for additional rounds of tacos). A nice touch was when the server asked if I wanted my pumpkin pie served warm or cold.

Food:

Let me start by saying that I am neither a soft taco kinda guy nor one who makes much use of a salsa bar. Firstly the salsa bar: I ended up picking one of the smooth salsas to go with my tacos but I never ended up using it. I did not use the 2 chunky salsas I picked to go with my tacos but i did 'snack' on them between rounds of tacos (pineapple & mango), they were quite tasty on their own. I thought the tacos had enough variety of fillings already but I know there are those who cherish fresh salsa, but to each his own)

I ended up consuming 6 soft tacos, 3 by accident plus the Baja and Al Pastor which only come in soft versions. I could not tell which was the Carnitas and which was the Al Pastor of the 2 pork soft tacos, one had fajitas style pork and the other had a rather dried-out semi pulled pork style. Both were OK. The chicken soft was the weakest of them all in terms of flavor and if I had ordered more than one I would have added some salsa to liven it up. The beef was my favorite, thus for my 2'nd round I ordered 2 hard/crispy versions. By the time I tried the Baja tacos (2'nd round) I had already consumed 4 soft tacos and was getting fed up of them, however the fish was very nice, crispy and fresh. By this time I would have preferred them as a salad topping, the subtle flavor of the fish I personally feel is not suited for a taco as salsa would easily overpower the fish. Some of the soft tacos came as flour and some came as corn, I did not note much of a difference. The hard/crispy tacos were terrific and I'll make sure in future to order my tacos hard/crispy.

Round 3 was the pumpkin pie and the Horchata beverage. I've had pumpkin pie dozens of times over the years and this is a decent version. The Horchata is a cinnamon rice milk beverage. It was very nice but I didn't like the fact that it came iced, just chilled from the fridge would have been better.

Verdict:

Great value and quality. Decent service. I will definately come for Taco Tuesday/Friday on a semi-regular basis.

• Like 2

Just a clarification/amplification. On the taco promotion days for the meat/fish fillings offered you can request the type of taco shell you prefer even when there is a type specified on the menu. No problem at all. For example, they show the Baja Fish with a soft flour shell. If you want cripsy corn shell or a soft corn shell with that, just ask, you will get. Also of note, when you order a soft corn shell option taco from the REGULAR non promotion menu, they give you TWO shells per taco. On promotion days, one shell. This isn't a real problem as you can have all you want to eat on promotion days so if you leave hungry its your fault, just saying.

Something rather curious that I have observed while eating at their restaurant. Pretty much every time there I have watched groups of Russians walk in, take a seat, look at the menu, and walk out! I've never seen that kind of predictable pattern at any other place. Is it the type of food (there are good pictures), prices, or lack of a Russian menu? Anyway, watch out for it ... free entertainment.

Edited by Jingthing

Prospero has given you some good advice!

Mike's is a regular stop for me every couple of weeks, when I feel the need for a "Mexican food fix".

I lived in So Cal for most of the last 30 years before moving here. Mike's, IMO, rivals any of the good Mexican restaurants there; and, by the way, that includes his Margaritas, which are excellent.

I have had better in So Cal, mind you. But Mike's would definitely rate as above average there. Good sauce, quality ingredients, and great quantity. The 'quesadilla supreme' he serves is really more like a burrito than a quesadilla, in that it is "burrito shaped". You can't pick up a triangle-shaped piece of it, as is the case with quesadillas served in So Cal. But it is HUGE, and it is delicious!

I'll be most interested to see the opinions of others, when you try Mike's. Especially you, Jingthing, since I haven't tried any of the others; and, if you like Mike's, I won't bother to! :-)

Since I'm happy with Mike's, my only regret is that there is no Mexican food place over here on the Darkside. We've got nearly everything over here now, with the exceptions of Mexican and Japanese restaurants.

Mike's is definitely the place for mexican in Pattaya. Always go when I am there.

Just a clarification/amplification. On the taco promotion days for the meat/fish fillings offered you can request the type of taco shell you prefer even when there is a type specified on the menu. No problem at all. For example, they show the Baja Fish with a soft flour shell. If you want cripsy corn shell or a soft corn shell with that, just ask, you will get. Also of note, when you order a soft corn shell option taco from the REGULAR non promotion menu, they give you TWO shells per taco. On promotion days, one shell. This isn't a real problem as you can have all you want to eat on promotion days so if you leave hungry its your fault, just saying.

Something rather curious that I have observed while eating at their restaurant. Pretty much every time there I have watched groups of Russians walk in, take a seat, look at the menu, and walk out! I've never seen that kind of predictable pattern at any other place. Is it the type of food (there are good pictures), prices, or lack of a Russian menu? Anyway, watch out for it ... free entertainment.

I saw the "Russian thing" too and thought about telling Gil to print a Russian menu, but decided he obviously is aware of that, so no need to tell him what he already knows. I wonder what a "Russian taco" would look like?