Is Buying Decent Clothes In Bk Worth It At The Mo?

vrsushi

I have one day in Bangkok to do a major clothes shop. Actually, before this I have to decide whether it's even a good idea or not. Te baht being so strong.

I am after jeans, t-shirts, work trousers and shirts, shoes and suits. I am not looking for cheap, but rather fashionable and good value. Is Thailand good for this?

So if you wanted to go to one or two places and buy good mid range clothes where would you go?

And what kind of price can I expect to pay? For example a fashionable pair of jeans costs?

I am trying to decide if I should do a shop or not. (current exchange rates dictating it I guess)

And importantly how much for a good suit?

I have one day in Bangkok to do a major clothes shop. Actually, before this I have to decide whether it's even a good idea or not. Te baht being so strong.

I am after jeans, t-shirts, work trousers and shirts, shoes and suits. I am not looking for cheap, but rather fashionable and good value. Is Thailand good for this?

So if you wanted to go to one or two places and buy good mid range clothes where would you go?

And what kind of price can I expect to pay? For example a fashionable pair of jeans costs?

I am trying to decide if I should do a shop or not. (current exchange rates dictating it I guess)

And importantly how much for a good suit?

A good friend of mine buys what he considers fashionable jeans for 700 baht - I personaly pay 7000 baht for what I consider fashionable jeans

Basicaly Thailand is not cheap for quality clothes - or even low quality for that matter

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I know oyur point on what is fashionable.

For example, in my local Gap a pair of jeans costs 3800 bht. Any idea on the comparable quality in Thailand?

lots of sales currently in bkk was 40-50% discount at zegna, and hugo boss the other day

If you can find a store with the name "export" in it in Bangkok then check them out. They have several in Chiang Mai, with names like 71 Export and Der Export. Gap, Old Navy, Columbia, Champion, Pierre Cardin. Levis. Ralph Lauren, Wrangler, Cabelas, L L Bean are just some of the names I see. There are lots of what could be designer jeans but I am not that fashionable so I stick with Levis. Shirts from 79baht to 280 baht, I have seen jeans around 380baht and columbia jackets for 1400baht. The problem is that all stores don't have the same inventory and stores in more touristy locations charge double or more for the same items as at other stores. You also have to examine each piece closely, some have obvious defects but there is a lot of stuff that is perfect. I saw a ton of Eddie Bauer stuff at one of the local stores here, many sizes. Some have the tags cut, some don't. Almost all of it is made in Thailand and Cambodia.

I don't know of any in BKK, maybe someone else does. I don't know if you could do it all in one day, as it is always hit or miss when I go to one. I think it would be worth it though if you happened to see one of these stores to go in and have a look.

MBK is one of the biggest places in BKK where many Thais go, I go there to get cheap and fashionable clothes- everything i've bought there has lasted a long time. The best deals are actually on the street, but you have to be knowledgealbe in clothes to spot them