Looking For Farmer Markets In Cm

Maccheroncini

Muang Mai is the best food market in CM. Caters to the wholesale trade so the best prices as well. Many farmers selling direct off the back of pick ups.

It is located in the triangle between the river road, Wichayanon and Muang Samut. Star at the US Consulate and head north and you can't miss it. For any food lover looking for a wide variety of quality and exotic produce it is a must.

Muang Mai is the best food market in CM.

That one is a good choice. My wife gets her restaurant supplies from there. Parking can be a hassle though. Another big one, assuming it is still there, is near Chang Puak gate and another one at Chiangmai Gate.

I hope this won't infringe any forum rules - though I have no direct "interest" (i.e. financial etc) in what I am going to mention other than thinking it's a potentially a very good win-win for both local producers and local consumers.

A Thai woman I know in Mae Jo grows organic produce (on a relatively small scale) and is actively encouraging other farmers in the area to also go organic and grow produce for that market (market as in those who want organic produce). Understandably, this is a classic "chicken and egg" situation - will the smaller local farmers be persuaded that there is a worthwhile and dependable demand to justify switching versus will there enough dependable supply to ensure that such demand is met?

I know she has already experimented on a small scale with weekly "produce baskets" to go out to those interested - but expanding the scheme is plainly fraught with potential difficulties......... sometimes these things get too popular and thus potentially too unmanageable for their own good. From what I understand, the scheme will be run as a co-operative and a website giving details is in process of being prepared.

Anyhow, as mentioned, it does seem a very good idea with benefits for both local producers and consumers. For now, to at least identify/quantify the potential demand side of the equation, maybe you'd like to drop me a PM expressing your (serious) interest? As soon as the website and a detailed description of the scheme become available, I can then simply respond with a PM giving contact details to those who PM'd me.

• 1 month later...

We will be back out in Mae-on next week and on the shopping list is to buy a bull/Buff to to keep our 6 jungle cows company.

Wiffee has mentioned a particular local market where we will be going so will let you know. ...........Mooooooooo :o

An update note to follow on from my previous post (I've already sent this as PM's to all those who already contacted me). For the benefit of those who are thinking about it but haven't yet PM'd me: the scheme is still taking shape - the lady concerned is in Brussels until mid-April but is still working on things from there. More news by PM/e-mail when I have it.

An update note to follow on from my previous post (I've already sent this as PM's to all those who already contacted me). For the benefit of those who are thinking about it but haven't yet PM'd me: the scheme is still taking shape - the lady concerned is in Brussels until mid-April but is still working on things from there. More news by PM/e-mail when I have it.

Is she getting sprouts? They are expensive here... :o

Is she getting sprouts? They are expensive here... :D

:o Best laugh I've had today! :D