Pattaya's Fareng Police Volunteers

MeetJohnDoe

Our very own fereng Tourist Police Volunteers are profiled in a cover story in today's Bangkok Post Spectrum magazine. One interesting thing from the story is that most of the foreign tourists quoted in the story found them a somewhat menacing presence on Walking Street while most of the local Thais seemed much more comfortable with them. Go figure.

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A fine piece of 'investigative' journalism. It's a pity the author had to revert to the cliché military-style, battle dress, army boots, intimidating black, etc, and the pointless reference to one volunteers tattoos before characterizing them as 'Working Stiffs'.

One group of Russian woman "appeared confused and even frightened" and the author knows enough Russian to hear what they said to their male companions but not enough to actually interview them. And "Tourists from other countries questioned the purpose of the mobile unit" and "The presence of the foreign assistants sporting handcuffs, batons, radios and other gadgets on their belts made some people feel uneasy" but he doesn't actually quote anyone saying as much which leads me to assume the author has been shown a few posts on TV's Pattaya forum?

The couple of (real) Thai police he mentions were probably wearing jackets because... it's cold this time of year for Thais?

For what it's worth, the article can be read here

By the way JD, what on earth is a 'fereng' ?

This article reads to me as if the "Journo" already had preconceived ideas & had his own agenda.

Volunteer Police , "Specials" , Appointed Deputies , Authoriused Officers ,Honoraries , etc. are used in most countries . What the hel_l is the big deal???

Good on 'em.

I don't doubt for a minute there are some idiots amongst them , but, I can tell you from experience there are idiots in all organisations & you don't tar them all with the same brush.

Good Guys wear Black anyhow.

:o

As the Group Leader of the FTPA's I can say that the article was a poorly written and poorly researched piece. Let me let you into a few facts behind this article.

The so-called journalist has been living in Thailand for hundreds of years, and he came over as if he knew everything and anything I said to him in our interview didn't matter because he already had a opinion on us....and the opinion was based on......yes you guessed it.....threads about us on chat forums......now, he did make a small attempt to see for himself what we do and spent.........less than one hour......with us on Walking Street. Not exactly good research was it. Those quotes in the paper article, which are not shown on the web, were obviously made-up. Russians love us, infact they always want their pictures taken with us....why.....because most are Russian Police Officers who come to Thailand because their government offers them free flights. I have NEVER met any Russians who are scared of us....that is simply ridiculous.

That picture of Lewis helping the Thai Woman was probably the best part of the article. We were called there because she was passed out on the sidewalk and no one wanted to help her......we wanted to help....and rehydrated her and took her back to the Mobile Unit. Yes, he has tatoos....is that a crime....why did the writer focus on that so much?

I get criticisms all the time about how I write articles for Pattaya One News......now I feel a bit better knowing I am not the only bad story writer in Thailand......by the way......the Police Captain featured in the article was fuming when he saw the article because he twisted his words during his interview.

I wonder if I could sue his arse...any legal experts out there?

I understand that we get negative and positive press and our group is contraversial, however when a so-called reputable publication comes out with rubbish like that...it makes me think that journalism in Thailand is in a bad way.

Howard

Edited by hm1973

I understand that we get negative and positive press and our group is contraversial, however when a so-called reputable publication comes out with rubbish like that...it makes me think that journalism in Thailand is in a bad way.

Howard

I have never seen any positive press about you.

Howard

I have never seen any positive press about you.

We have received quiet a lot of good press actually. Not only in English......which is why you may not have seen it. As I said...I don't mind as long as it is based on fact rather than fiction.

Edited by hm1973

I honestly believe HM provides a service to help people at the end of the day. TPV receives a lot of criticism for really no reason, anyways I know its a thankless position and some would wonder why you keep at it - I'd say because you enjoy helping people in need when the occasion arises. (true spirit of a volunteer)

Howard,

at least you are the only guy on Thai TV who i understand lol.The vpf do more good than harm but you have to stop wearing the black gear.This gives a slightly intimidating look so maybe white shorts with yellow top and flip flops or trainers.

I forgot,trainers are better for chasing people,unless you had a push bike,now that woyld look the <deleted>.

Howard, we love you. Always did. How would we know where to eat if it weren't for your culinary adventures? Your radio show is the best,, mind your adverts are a bit boring. As for the journalist who slagged the Volunteer Cops, make sure you nick him next time. I am sure he will be guilty of litterbugging or some heinous crime.

Howard,

at least you are the only guy on Thai TV who i understand lol.The vpf do more good than harm but you have to stop wearing the black gear.This gives a slightly intimidating look so maybe white shorts with yellow top and flip flops or trainers.

I forgot,trainers are better for chasing people,unless you had a push bike,now that woyld look the <deleted>.

But that would mean people would see my legs!!!!

OK, maybe it did not come over too clear in the article so let me try and explain our uniform and why it is black.

We actually have two uniforms...a black and a white one. The white one we wear on special occassions or parades, similar to the Thai Police.

We work mostly on Walking Street which gets very hot, especially during the Summer. Next time you go on Walking Street see if you can notice the temperature change as soon as you leave the street. At the moment it is OK but it gets very hot and we do not have the luxury of an air-conditioned station....we are on the street come rain or shine. For this reason...it was practical for us to have a dark coloured unform, to hide the dirt, sweat and sometimes blood that may get onto our uniforms. White was out of the question because at the end of a normal night, we would look terrible and our uniforms would have to be replaced on a regular basis. We pay for our own shirts so a dark color is the best option for us.

We could have chosen dark blue...or dark brown....or black. We went with black because brown was out of the question because it is the color that the Thai Police use and dark blue was used by other organizations such as the rescue and the Thai volunteers, so we wanted to look different. For our peace of mind we had two shirts made up...a black one and a white one and road-tested them. The White shirt looked terrible at the end of the night and the black one looked fine.

There is also another reason why we went with the black because it is a color of authority. What I mean by that is that it is a a color that physycologicaly gains respect more than white. We deal with situations on the street, sometimes they can involve violence. If just by turning up at a situation in our black shirts, the violence stops, then that is a good thing. The Thai Police can then gain control of the situation and deal with it how they see fit with us assisiting them.

Maybe this seems a bit long-winded but those are the reasons behind our appearance.

Howard

Edited by hm1973

Howard, I am sure you and your guys make a difference. Is this the same platoon as Niels and his mates are in, or are they a different kettle of fish altogether?

We have absolutely no association with his group whatsoever.

I thought it was a pretty balanced story.

What in it do you object to?

The main bugbear seems to be the uniform, you say you have little authority but you seem

to want to project more authority through the wearing of a black uniform with batons and handcuffs.

And remember be careful out there.

The black uniform is ridiculous and gives everyone a giggle as they pass by . :o

Explain further what is so ridiculous....I am fascinated to know what you mean.....

sorry...I cannot help having a giggle as well. You guys look so martial with that black uniform and the batons and stuff dangling from your belts. A less bold appearance might turn the perception of you guys much more positive!

The black uniform is ridiculous and gives everyone a giggle as they pass by . :o

Explain further what is so ridiculous....I am fascinated to know what you mean.....

sorry...I cannot help having a giggle as well. You guys look so martial with that black uniform and the batons and stuff dangling from your belts. A less bold appearance might turn the perception of you guys much more positive!

OK then...tommorow just for you I will wear a yellow T-Shirt and white shorts with flip-flops as a previous poster suggested :D

We are POLICE ASSISTANTS....working in a street environment....dealing with real cases ranging from someone who may have lost their way to a 10 man brawl to someone having a heart attack. We are prepared for all eventualities and therefore require equipment to deal with those cases. We have strict rules of engagement and are ALL aware of what we can and can't do within the constraints of Thai Law. What we do is ALL positive work from helping a Tourist out of a problem to breaking up a fight. Trust me....it is better we get there first than a bunch of Thai Police Officers. Whether we should or should not do it has already been decided. We are there and are completely authorised to do what we do. If we look a bit intimidating then, in my opinion, that is a good thing because just our appearance could deter someone from causing trouble. We are under heavy scrutiny from the authorities on a daily basis and are dedicated to helping everyone (Thai or foreign) in any way we can. Sometimes we are powerless to help, other times we can genuinly make a difference, it really depends if the Thai Police want us involved in a case or not, they are in-charge...not us.

most of you guys are scary and could use a few less trinkets on your belt. you run in packs and have a serious mean look on your faces, maybe to look tougher and keep us in line, not sure, but a smile and friendly attitude would go a long way. A hello once in awhile? Maybe then we might think you are there to help us, rather than "keeping us in line". One guy looked like he was considering a goose step to keep us in line and I had to get out of the way or be trampled, I dont think he would have done it the same way with just the two of us present. I am sure there are some of the volunteers that sincerely want to help, but I think the majority see there one chance in life for a bit of perceived power, scary

OK then...tommorow just for you I will wear a yellow T-Shirt and white shorts with flip-flops as a previous poster suggested :o

We are POLICE ASSISTANTS....working in a street environment....dealing with real cases ranging from someone who may have lost their way to a 10 man brawl to someone having a heart attack. We are prepared for all eventualities and therefore require equipment to deal with those cases. We have strict rules of engagement and are ALL aware of what we can and can't do within the constraints of Thai Law. What we do is ALL positive work from helping a Tourist out of a problem to breaking up a fight. Trust me....it is better we get there first than a bunch of Thai Police Officers. Whether we should or should not do it has already been decided. We are there and are completely authorised to do what we do. If we look a bit intimidating then, in my opinion, that is a good thing because just our appearance could deter someone from causing trouble. We are under heavy scrutiny from the authorities on a daily basis and are dedicated to helping everyone (Thai or foreign) in any way we can. Sometimes we are powerless to help, other times we can genuinly make a difference, it really depends if the Thai Police want us involved in a case or not, they are in-charge...not us.

You guys look scary and repulsive and to a certain extend pathetic that causes me to giggle once in a while when I see you. After one of you was wearing that long black coat (I think Friday night it was) and walked down WS in a rather fast pace, Herr Flick from 'Allo 'Allo came to mind and yes, we had a good laugh at your expense. Not sure if this is the image you wanted to create, but there you go.

This is my impression/perception and apparently I am not the only one. I mean this by no way offensive, but maybe you take this as a positive critique as there is room for improvement.

Look at the Shore Leave Guard of the US Navy. They wear white T-shirts, identifying them as what they are and jeans. No (visible) handcuffs, truncheons and whatever other gizmos dangling from their belts. Nevertheless they look official and capable enough that I would not try to get into a brawl with them.

Moreover, regular police and related forces undergo training in open hand techniques such as Aikido, (Brazilian) Jujitsu and other martial arts designed for that purpose (I am not sure for Thailand, I must admit, but this applies to plenty of countries). Such techniques are quite efficient and usually also sufficient to control and restrain offenders as long as no firearms are involved. If properly applied they immobilize an offender without injury. Not sure if your truncheons can do that.

I just wonder whether or not you also attend such training as you apparently get involved in brawls.

I agree with the others that your uniforms look ridiculous--like jack-booted thugs. You don't look like people who altruistically want to help others, instead you look like guys who could never get on an actual police force back home and now are happy to be able to play with police gear in public.

From the article in the Bangkok Post.

Applicants with a non-immigrant visa are preferred because they can be granted a one-year extension.

Is this the reason that some guys apply to be a TPV, so they can get a visa extension, which they may not have been eligible for otherwise (under 50, not enough money etc.)?

Edited by eyebee

....After one of you was wearing that long black coat (I think Friday night it was) and walked down WS in a rather fast pace, Herr Flick from 'Allo 'Allo came to mind and yes, we had a good laugh at your expense. Not sure if this is the image you wanted to create, but there you go.

You are assuming he is part of our group....he is not....in fact he is an FPV working at Pattaya Police Station and wanted our help to find somewhere....I agree the jacket looked a bit "Matix" for me!!!

From the article in the Bangkok Post.
Applicants with a non-immigrant visa are preferred because they can be granted a one-year extension.

Is this the reason that some guys apply to be a TPV, so they can get a visa extension, which they may not have been eligible for otherwise (under 50, not enough money etc.)?

That was one of the inaccuracies in the article....don't know where he got that from. We get no special visas or other priveleges for doing what we do.

most of you guys are scary and could use a few less trinkets on your belt. you run in packs and have a serious mean look on your faces, maybe to look tougher and keep us in line, not sure, but a smile and friendly attitude would go a long way. A hello once in awhile? Maybe then we might think you are there to help us, rather than "keeping us in line". One guy looked like he was considering a goose step to keep us in line and I had to get out of the way or be trampled, I dont think he would have done it the same way with just the two of us present. I am sure there are some of the volunteers that sincerely want to help, but I think the majority see there one chance in life for a bit of perceived power, scary

Hello Lost in LOS!!!

....After one of you was wearing that long black coat (I think Friday night it was) and walked down WS in a rather fast pace, Herr Flick from 'Allo 'Allo came to mind and yes, we had a good laugh at your expense. Not sure if this is the image you wanted to create, but there you go.

You are assuming he is part of our group....he is not....in fact he is an FPV working at Pattaya Police Station and wanted our help to find somewhere....I agree the jacket looked a bit "Matix" for me!!!

Well, from far that looked like the same black uniform that the other bald-headed guy who was walking with him was wearing. Maybe you should really wear a different colour to tell you guys apart.

Well, from far that looked like the same black uniform that the other bald-headed guy who was walking with him was wearing. Maybe you should really wear a different colour to tell you guys apart.

He was not wearing a uniform.....he was just wearing his normal cloths which happen to be black.

I have to agree with Raro, the black uniform with the batman belt does give give a menacing impression. Maybe shorts and a light t-shirt would give a more friendly impression. (This obviously goes for both groups)

Edited by Phil Conners

I have to agree with Raro, the black uniform with the batman belt does give give a menacing impression. Maybe shorts and a light t-shirt would give a more friendly impression. But perhaps you don't really care what your "customers" think?

With legs like mine...shorts are definetly out of the question.