H.M. King Praises Hospitality And Unity Of Thais

Larry Banks

HM King praises hospitality and unity of Thais during crisis

king2005.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 1 (TNA) - His Majesty King Bhumipol Adulyadej, whose grandson was among the thousands killed when massive tsunamis struck on Thailand's southern coastlines on Sunday, addressed the nation yesterday evening with a New Year's speech in which he praised the Thai public for their response to the tragedy.

In a speech made poignant by the tragic death of Khun Poom Jensen, His Majesty the King urged the public to help assist the survivors and engage in repair operations, while ensuring that such disaster did not happen again.

However, he also noted that the disaster had shown the kindness of the Thai people, and had demonstrated the unity of all Thais, whether soldiers, police officers or civilians.

As soon as the disaster struck, Thais were ready and willing to make sacrifices for those affected, irrespective of race or nationality.

"I want to stress to you all the thing that I said many years ago: that in our lives we cannot just have happiness, but that there is also constant suffering and danger which is difficult to avoid", he said.

"In the New Year, I urge all of you to help maintain unity and good will. These are the special characteristics that have enabled our nation to remain safe, and which help us all to live together…for as long as we preserve these characteristics, our nation will be secure".

Calling on 'those sacred things which Thai people respect and believe in', His Majesty the King called for all his subjects to be free from suffering and danger over the coming year.

--TNA 2005-01-01

Dear Sir,

Dear Sir,

My reason is this :

xxxxx

/ edit out personal rant

This is pathetic. Not a time to venge personal grievances on a country which has been hit by a terrible disaster. I and my friends have just spent 2 days distributing aid to the needy and most of our time at a temple in Khao Lak moving masses of corpses. If you saw what we did, you would put your hand in your pocket. Have a heart, some of the people have lost everything. The compassion and caring shown by the remaining Thais (and farangs) in the last few days has been sensational. The human race still has a chance.

I don't know what that guy's problem was but even a yank llike me can see that now is not the time nor place, and if there ever is(doubtful) alot more respect is in order. Long live the Thai people! Long live the The King! May this year be better for everyone.

The Thai people are fortunate indeed to have a monarchy who undoubtedly has the interests of all in the Kingdom at heart. I would not mind betting that, like in the UK HM King Bhumipol donates some substantial aid to those most in need, irrespective of race, colour, creed or sexual orientation.

Queen Elizabeth II has donated a substantial undisclosed amount to the Relief Project that has so many nations seriously affected. Likewise the UK Government is being put to shame by the sheer financial support coming from ordinary British people; 60 million pounds sterling at the last count.

From what I have seen, the Thai people, as have others in the Indian Ocean area, have demonstrated that humanity is alive and well; people have not totally lost it to the greed of materialism and 'everyone for themselves'.

The first post doesn't deserve a reply from anyone.

Sawatdee won pee mai 2005 to all.

Laulen

Edited by Wolfie