Top Posters In This Topic

• midas

• Naam

• flying

• 12DrinkMore

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

More debt to fix the debt problem:

"The two largest banks in crisis-stricken Greece need a total of 13bn ($17.2bn) to recapitalize, as they took huge losses in the countrys debt restructuring.

Greeces second largest bank by assets, Eurobank, needs 5.8bn, with the fourth largest lender Piraeus Bank being short of 7.3bn, according to the Wall Street Journal. In the first 9 months of the year the two banks reported combined losses of 1.7bn, with a huge part of that due the banks participation in the countrys debt restructuring programme.

The four biggest banks in Greece were left technically insolvent, after they joined the 200bn debt restructuring programme. It left them dependent on extremely expensive loans from euro zone member states and the International Monetary Fund.

In the framework of Greeces second bailout package the country reserved about 50bn to recapitalize its troubled banks. 18bn of that was provided to lenders in May through bonds issued by the European Financial Stability Facility (EFSF) – Europe's temporary bailout fund.

Bridge financing will be another way to support Greek banks until they complete a formal recapitalization early next year. The Greek bank rescue fund will act as an underwriter as the lenders boost capital and are set to take up about 90% of the new stock issued. This would practically mean nationalization of Greeces banking system.

Bridge financing is a way of financing, aimed at maintaining liquidity while waiting for an anticipated and reasonably expected inflow of cash.

There have also been bank mergers in Greece to make them more efficient and attractive to potential investors. Among the most recent cases are Eurobank thats set to team up with National Bank of Greece.Alpha Bank SA also said it would acquire the Greek unit of French lenders Crdit Agricole, with Piraeus Bank saying itll acquire the local unit of Socit Gnrale. Piraeus has also acquired the healthy assets of state-owned farm lender ATE Bank.

-rt app

"hat doesn't mean the promise itself is worth anything" history proved that sometimes promises (even empty ones) can work. Germany's hyper-inflation of the 1920s was stopped overnight when the "Rentenmark" (backed by future social insurance contributions) was introduced. before introduction one US-Dollar fetched 4 trillion Reichsmark, a situation similar to nowadays Zimbabwe. a day later four Rentenmarks were paid for one dollar.

Interesting to remember that UK went through devaluation under Harold WIlson and it worked - after a fashion and for a short time.

But look at the big picture - we still waste more food than would feed all the starving people in the world. It is not the money that matters really - we just have that fixation. In former times it was not unusual to find a family living in a nice enough house, all paid up because it was inherited, but the family struggling for cash and working hand to mouth on a daily basis. Here in Thailand familes have their farms and can live cheaply enoughh, only need to make a few Baht to buy some stuff that they can not grow. Living in Spain around the time they joined the EU was the same - everyone kept a pig and had an orangery full of chickens. City dwellers have a much worse time and I have never understood the need to live in a city. MAybe the pension we all want is more akin to having a house, a big garden and some family around us to take care in our old age. That had been working for generations, but we seem to have lost our humanity.

Before you start taking pot-shots at me -- yes I have a private fund for my own pension - but I also have a family that have said many times that they want to take care of me when I stop wandering. My pension will probably all go on the ridiculous cost of owning your own house in UK.

"hat doesn't mean the promise itself is worth anything" history proved that sometimes promises (even empty ones) can work. Germany's hyper-inflation of the 1920s was stopped overnight when the "Rentenmark" (backed by future social insurance contributions) was introduced. before introduction one US-Dollar fetched 4 trillion Reichsmark, a situation similar to nowadays Zimbabwe. a day later four Rentenmarks were paid for one dollar.

Interesting to remember that UK went through devaluation under Harold WIlson and it worked - after a fashion and for a short time.

But look at the big picture - we still waste more food than would feed all the starving people in the world. It is not the money that matters really - we just have that fixation. In former times it was not unusual to find a family living in a nice enough house, all paid up because it was inherited, but the family struggling for cash and working hand to mouth on a daily basis. Here in Thailand familes have their farms and can live cheaply enoughh, only need to make a few Baht to buy some stuff that they can not grow. Living in Spain around the time they joined the EU was the same - everyone kept a pig and had an orangery full of chickens. City dwellers have a much worse time and I have never understood the need to live in a city. MAybe the pension we all want is more akin to having a house, a big garden and some family around us to take care in our old age. That had been working for generations, but we seem to have lost our humanity.

Before you start taking pot-shots at me -- yes I have a private fund for my own pension - but I also have a family that have said many times that they want to take care of me when I stop wandering. My pension will probably all go on the ridiculous cost of owning your own house in UK.

yeah well that depends on how long the Ponzi can be sustained sad.png

http://www.amazon.ca/Pension-Ponzi-Bankrupting-Education-Retirement/dp/1118098730

Reading *midas* applied wisdom is the main reason why people jump from balconies in Thailand !

No one should do anything that drastically but you can't escape the fact that the reset button has to be set sooner or later

http://www.amazon.ca/Pension-Ponzi-Bankrupting-Education-Retirement/dp/1118098730

I saw my parents loose / stitched out of their pensions in the 90s. I never got in to it and never will. I'd rather trust myself to make money and produce income than some faceless bunch of goons.

"The controversial NDAA bill, which allows for the indefinite detention of US citizens, was approved by the Senate despite White House threats to veto the legislation. Republican Senator Rand Paul (R-KY) has decried the law as an abomination.

The libertarian Republican voiced his concerns to a conference committee following the decision to give the present version of National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) the go-ahead. Paul cited the committees decision to scrap an amendment that would have prohibited the indefinite detention of US citizens suspected of terrorist activities.

"It's [the amendment] been removed because they want the ability to hold American citizens without trial in our country. This is so fundamentally wrong and goes against everything we stand for as a country that it can't go unnoticed, Paul told the committee. He went on to condemn the bill as an abomination that deprives US citizens of the right to a fair trial."

-rt app

This coupled with the FEMA camps looks like USofA is prepping for an uprising at home in case of a dollar collapse / economic melt down scenario.

The EU usurping democracy and the sovereign powers to govern ones own country, putting Goldman Bankers in charge across the board.

Both promising unlimited QE.

Elites crimes let off with fines; too big to fail and too big to jail.

We are witnessing the death of western democracy before our eyes.

http://www.amazon.ca...t/dp/1118098730

I saw my parents loose / stitched out of their pensions in the 90s. I never got in to it and never will. I'd rather trust myself to make money and produce income than some faceless bunch of goons.

What Ponzi scheme are you referring to?

Anyone can make their own pension arrangements. Just work and save like crazy and invest it somewhere you can trust. If you choose to invest in a Ponzi scheme and don't check the details, I'd suggest the "ponce" is you ;)w00t.gif

http://www.amazon.ca...t/dp/1118098730

What Ponzi scheme are you referring to?

here is an example of one country.... i haven't looked at uk ( although mccw's rermarks

about his parents sounds like uk has problems too ? )

The Great American Ponzi Scheme

U.S. public pension systems are underfunded by about $1 trillion....................

The deficit, is huge—indeed, it dwarfs the losses suffered to date by the federal government in the mortgage crisis.

http://www.businessw...23078651500.htm

Edited by midas

here is an example of one country.... i haven't looked at uk ( although mccw's rermarks

Agreed - and they should be locked up along with Madoff and his brother w00t.gif

Underfunded does not = Ponzi scheme,but vice-versa certainly applies. Those not understanding economics do get confused though and start ranting.

would never expect anything other than this kind of response from you yoshiwararolleyes.gif

based on your never ending posts denying anything at all is wrong in the economy

and your call for even more borrowing, i could even imagine you a promoter of one these ... erm..... "schemes " yourself....

Underfunded does not = Ponzi scheme,but vice-versa certainly applies. Those not understanding economics do get confused though and start ranting.

Without wanting to wander too far offtopic .. The Financial Crisis was in large part started by the "Ponzi Scheme Style of Banking" that ran with government non-interference for so long that they ran out of money, in the same way as that is the ultimate fate of any ponzi scheme.

Relying on new members money rather than the growth of investments is the very definition of Ponzi scheme. The much talked about pension time bomb due to demographics and a lack of new or insufficient saving proves that pensions are indeed Ponzi schemes, no other way of looking at it.

Relying on new members money rather than the growth of investments is the very definition of Ponzi scheme. The much talked about pension time bomb due to demographics and a lack of new or insufficient saving proves that pensions are indeed Ponzi schemes, no other way of looking at it.

here is just one example..... as the california highway patrol reduces staff in an austerity drive

California Highway Patrol Cutting Back in Austerity Move

California Highway Patrol officers have also tentatively agreed to take furlough time to help solve the state’s $16 billion budget gap.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/06/11/California-Highway-Patrol-cutting

one officer retired recently on this :-

California Highway Patrol division chief Jeff Talbott retired last year as the best-paid officer in the 12 most-populous U.S. states, collecting $483,581 in salary, pension and other compensation.

Talbott, 53, received $280,259 for accrued leave and vacation time and took a new job running the public-safety department at a private university in Southern California. He also began collecting an annual pension of $174,888 from the state.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/highest-paid-california-trooper-chief-030402254.html

would never expect anything other than this kind of response from you yoshiwararolleyes.gif

based on your never ending posts denying anything at all is wrong in the economy

and your call for even more borrowing, i could even imagine you a promoter of one these ... erm..... "schemes " yourself....

There is plenty wrong in the world's economies and debt generation and management is one aspect of ongoing serious problems.

I just don't subscribe to the hysteria and conspiracy fruitcake websites which gives some that extra frisson.

Agreed - and they should be locked up along with Madoff and his brother w00t.gif

The company was Equitable Life and this is in the UK.

The company was Equitable Life and this was in the UK.

The company was Equitable Life and this was in the UK.

There is plenty wrong in the world's economies and debt generation and management is one aspect of ongoing serious problems.

I just don't subscribe to the hysteria and conspiracy fruitcake websites which gives some that extra frisson.

Study by the IMF and reported by the telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/pensions/9198756/IMF-warns-of-750bn-pensions-time-bomb.html

Of pensions were self funding investments then "living longer" shouldn't be a problem, ergo it is a big Ponzi reliant on new members money!

A lot of people find denial easier than facing the truth because the logical conclusions when confronted with the enevitable are so unpalletable. Like the politicians you prefer this state and hope the "scheme" can just keep running long enough for your own needs to be met.

Study by the IMF and reported by the telegraph:

http://www.telegraph...-time-bomb.html

Of pensions were self funding investments then "living longer" shouldn't be a problem, ergo it is a big Ponzi reliant on new members money!

A lot of people find denial easier than facing the truth because the logical conclusions when confronted with the enevitable are so unpalletable. Like the politicians you prefer this state and hope the "scheme" can just keep running long enough for your own needs to be met.

and the ponzi needs more workers to keep going but the elephant in the room is that

the next generation of workers wont pay pension contributions because they dont

expect to get a pension themselves.........

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2012/08/robots-to-rule-world-taking-all-jobs.html

Apparently at the end of 2011 the heads of Greek navy and army were replaced; there is speculation this was to head off a coup. google it. With more waves of austerity due I don't think it's out of the question another could be coming.