Financial Crisis

5. goldbugs who can lay their hands on their physical gold any time they please are either poor people or crazy.

6. goldbugs who are able to carry their physical gold across borders are paupers.

Well I guess I am poor or crazy but that is not to suggest anyone else could lay their hands on it.

Also as you say a pauper but again not to suggest just one trip across the border :) It would seem more crazy to keep everything in one place/country.

Actually those that are able to carry gold across borders may feel happy to do so while they still can.

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• midas

• Naam

• flying

• 12DrinkMore

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5. goldbugs who can lay their hands on their physical gold any time they please are either poor people or crazy.

6. goldbugs who are able to carry their physical gold across borders are paupers.

1. Well I guess I am poor or crazy but that is not to suggest anyone else could lay their hands on it.

2. Also as you say a pauper but again not to suggest just one trip across the border :) It would seem more crazy to keep everything in one place/country.

3. Actually those that are able to carry gold across borders may feel happy to do so while they still can.

1. that is what i was referring to.

2. i envisage emergency situations which only allow one trip across the border. also, i don't know too many people who hold their physical gold in several countries. actually i only know one person. ;)

3. this has become already a problem and the outlook is progressively worsening.

2. i envisage emergency situations which only allow one trip across the border. also, i don't know too many people who hold their physical gold in several countries. actually i only know one person. ;)

3. this has become already a problem and the outlook is progressively worsening.

2. Now you know two.

3. Can you elaborate? I haven't heard about any trouble moving gold around.

2. Now you know two.

3. Can you elaborate? I haven't heard about any trouble moving gold around.

90% of our financial matters are handled in Singapore C-Hopper. no problem to buy gold in SIN and take it out. however, when taking it back duty is levied even if you submit proof that it was bought in SIN. and that applies to valid currency coins in a number of countries too, no matter what fairy tales are spread on ThaiVisa.

I haven't heard about any trouble moving gold around.

there is direct trouble and indirect trouble. i can fly to my home country in Europe, carry a standard gold bar weight 12.5kg, declare the value (€ 400k) of my negotiable monetary instruments and stash it in my bank locker. can i fly to Laos, Cambodia or Myanmar (assuming the import of gold is duty free), declare the value at customs and then take a taxi to my desired destination without being "bothered"?

:unsure:

But really, how much gold can you carry as cargo across borders on a ROTAX-powered ultra-light without either crashing from overload or being shot down?

Oh it could easily take Mrs. C (if sufficiently forced) and all the gold, the problem is the only place to escape to with it's range would be Burma. And it's Verner-powered. For longer range I have a different sort of craft powered by twin Yanmars and two thousand square feet of dacron-mylar laminate, if need be.

But in the event of a global SHTF financial meltdown, rural LOS will be a pretty good place to be IMO and people will be escaping TO, not from here.

however, when taking it back duty is levied even if you submit proof that it was bought in SIN. and that applies to valid currency coins in a number of countries too, no matter what fairy tales are spread on ThaiVisa.

OK well one of those tales was that gold bullion was not subject to VAT. What is the import duty? I wonder how they can sell good delivery kilo bars competitively (which they do) if they need to pay an import duty first.

however, when taking it back duty is levied even if you submit proof that it was bought in SIN. and that applies to valid currency coins in a number of countries too, no matter what fairy tales are spread on ThaiVisa.

OK well one of those tales was that gold bullion was not subject to VAT. What is the import duty? I wonder how they can sell good delivery kilo bars competitively (which they do) if they need to pay an import duty first.

the import duty applies to private persons only who import gold to SIN. the same goes for Thailand. fairy tales are "no import duty when legal tender".

the import duty applies to private persons only who import gold to SIN. the same goes for Thailand. fairy tales are "no import duty when legal tender".

Well most of my stack was accumulated pre-2000 and is in the States and I expect to bring it here if any sort of export controls on capital or bullion were to be announced there, but probably wouldn't declare it.

Thus far however, I haven't been able to find out what the import duty would be, if any,for private person me if I did declare it though.

Edited by cloudhopper

Here's a very interesting essay on the nature of financial crisis -

http://peakcomplexity.blogspot.com/2010/09/limits-to-complexity.html

how much fiat money, respectively ounces of gold, will you add to your net worth after having digested that interesting essay? :huh:

and how about you Midas? did Dyler Turd from zerohedgeomegavilleblockpotty.com hand out any interesting recommendations enabling you to buy additional rice fields?

no offence intended Midas! :jap: i am still waiting for your acceptance of my invitation to discuss "judgment day" over a good bottle of wine in my house.

Edited by Naam

Here's a very interesting essay on the nature of financial crisis -

http://peakcomplexit...complexity.html

how much fiat money, respectively ounces of gold, will you add to your net worth after having digested that interesting essay? :huh:

I'm not sure I understand the question. How much fiat currency of any denomination an ounce of gold can be traded for in the future depends largely on what the major political powers do. If there comes a rapid loss of faith in currencies globally however, I think gold will be the primary standard against which the subsequent global fiat currency that finally restores financial order is valued. And therefore will be the best way to preserve monetary wealth during the transition. On the other hand, if government efforts are unable to offset a deflationary financial collapse then cash in whatever form (including gold!) will become increasingly rare and gain in purchasing power. Since in the current global economy the purchasing power of credit exceeds the purchasing power of cash by around 50X, I think a deflationary collapse is inevitable despite anything governments can do except make it happen faster and badder via a currency crisis.

I would pay attention to the Chris Martenson links because in the event of an actual global financial collapse people will find that they cannot eat their gold or their cash.

Not quite sure that you've got this living business quite right yet Herr Naam. No kids, right? You're eleventy four years old and you think you're adding to your pile? Hahahaha. Your heirs are pissing themselves laughing. 'And the harder you work, the harder they laugh. Don't get me wrong......they will be sooo grateful. Might even put up a plaque to you. A statue even.... :)

Or write an operetta in your honour.....in Klingon.

"Your net worth"......classic.

Regards.

P.S. I deleted the invitation to Midas as I didn't see it in the original post, only in the reply function.

"If there comes a rapid loss of faith in currencies globally however, I think gold will be the primary standard against which the subsequent global fiat currency that finally restores financial order is valued."

Cloudhopper,

there is no way that those in power will allow any commodity to be the dominating primary monetary standard because they'd be out in the cold! and those in power will always be in power and you and me will always be the poor àssholes who will have to go for the crumbs left on the floor no matter how "wealthy" we consider ourselves. howling with the wolves is in the card for us, hoping the wolves do not realise we are only helpless puppies recently waned and allow us to pick up the crumbs. we have to bury any wet dreams to beat an established system which cannot be beaten no matter what the "gurus" in alphahedgezeroville advise.

Not quite sure that you've got this living business quite right yet Herr Naam. No kids, right? You're eleventy four years old and you think you're adding to your pile? Hahahaha. Your heirs are pissing themselves laughing. 'And the harder you work, the harder they laugh. Don't get me wrong......they will be sooo grateful. Might even put up a plaque to you. A statue even.... :) Or write an operetta in your honour.....in Klingon.

"Your net worth"......classic.

Regards.

P.S. I deleted the invitation to Midas as I didn't see it in the original post, only in the reply function.

actually you got everything wrong Honourable Sir Teletiger, Esq. as you seem to lack logical complex thinking. 50% of every single penny i add to our net worth goes to my "better half" who is in charge to broadly diversify our holdings in several countries such as immobile property, agricultural land, physical precious metals and other tangible non-fiat assets. and why not let our heirs be happy? will you be able to take anything with you when they carry you to the crematorium or graveyard?

p.s. as far as the plaque is concerned you hit bull's eye. we are making (albeit slow) progress building an orphanage where sooner or later a plaque "established by Mr & Mrs Naam" will be placed somewhere.

"If there comes a rapid loss of faith in currencies globally however, I think gold will be the primary standard against which the subsequent global fiat currency that finally restores financial order is valued."

Cloudhopper,

there is no way that those in power will allow any commodity to be the dominating primary monetary standard because they'd be out in the cold! and those in power will always be in power and you and me will always be the poor àssholes who will have to go for the crumbs left on the floor no matter how "wealthy" we consider ourselves. howling with the wolves is in the card for us, hoping the wolves do not realise we are only helpless puppies recently waned and allow us to pick up the crumbs. we have to bury any wet dreams to beat an established system which cannot be beaten no matter what the "gurus" in alphahedgezeroville advise.

Well it seems to me that those in power already control a considerable share of the world's total gold, not to mention big armies. Puppies who own the rest will be the big dogs in their respective neighborhoods...

Cloudhopper,

Well it seems to me that those in power already control a considerable share of the world's total gold, not to mention big armies. Puppies who own the rest will be the big dogs in their respective neighborhoods...

I don't know about Gold, but you've got the concept right. All wealth is relative.

'I don't know about Gold, but you've got the concept right. All wealth is relative. ' :rolleyes:

I don't imagine this is going to go down at all well especially in Thailand

The IMF itself has become the problem as Europe's woes return

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/ambroseevans_pritchard/8012175/The-IMF-itself-has-become-the-problem-as-Europes-woes-return.html

'In Greece it backs a policy that will leave the country with public debt of 150pc of GDP after its ordeal – allowing French and German creditors to shift a big chunk of Greek risk to Asian taxpayers through the IMF, and to EU taxpayers through the eurozone rescue.'

IT's OVER!!!

partytime2.gifpartytime2.gifpartytime2.gif

http://www.bloomberg...panel-says.html

The longest U.S. recession since the Great Depression ended in June 2009, lasting 18 months, the National Bureau of Economic Research said."The committee decided that any future downturn of the economy would be a new recession and not a continuation of the recession that began in December 2007," the Cambridge, Massachusetts-based bureau's business cycle dating group saidtoday in a statement. "The basis for this decision was the length and strength of the recovery to date." The committee is the accepted arbiter of when recessions start and end.

Now, do I detect a certain amount of hogwash coming across the Atlantic? Or maybe Pacific, for those of us in Asia?

"Length and strength of the recovery to date"?????

Really! Are those guys living on the same planet? Inhabiting the same universe?

Oh well, at least its official.

No possibility of a double dip anymore, they have ruled against that. If a recession strikes again, it will be a NEW one! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif No double dipping old one.

Aahh, the up and coming generation, just rarin' to get goin' and pay the pensions of us old'uns well into the future are looking to have another set back. sorry.gif

http://www.telegraph...-on-report.html

Still, no more worrying about avoiding inheritance tax, I guess.whistling.gif