Great American Rib Co. In Bkk

jfchandler

When I was at the Chok Chai on the way to Korat, they only offered their own Thai beef, and it was pretty bad, to be honest. I rarely find decent beef which is raised in a tropical clime (a few Japanese subtropical islands do pretty good with specialty beef, though) and Thailand is not exception to this.

The burgers at Choke Chai are passable, which is a pretty good grade for a Thai-made burger,  Not great, not even good, but passable.

Tony Roma's? That is not BBQ. That is microwaved and roated ribs covered in a cloying sauce.

I am rather a BBQ elitest, and it has to be done with real wood and indirect heat. None of these gas grills.  Those grills can do a decent job for a steak if you add smoking chips, but they cannot do BBQ.

Having said that BBQ Sandwich King as perhaps the best BBQ I have had in Thailand, but it is not outstanding.  However, their pork sandwiches are truly delicious, and I love the tater tots they offer. That alone is worth the trip out there.

I will give the Great Americn Rib Company a try, but I am not holding my breath.

Don't forget about their monster 200baht long island ice teas. Seriously the strongest drink ive had in BKK since I moved here. It's huge and not easy to drink. Also a great Mango Margarita. Fresh mango and nicely prepared....and only 75baht.

Agree with On-On. The Buffalo wings at Roadhouse are the best I have had in BKK, especially with their blue cheese dipping sauce.

Agreed. Have you tried their Jamaican shrimp? No idea if they're authentic, but they are superb.

I don't really like the Roadhouse as a venue (price/atmosphere), but the wings and shrimps are fantastic. As is their Roadhouse beer - although I heard they stopped doing that.

I think the wings at both Roadhouse and Great American are good wings, especially with the Great American ATOMIC sauce which is reportedly imported.

The funny thing about wings is that I first tried them in Thailand and now am rather addicted. I never tried them once in my previous American life. I guess that's like a Thai trying tom yum for the first time in New York. Gotta love globalization.

I will give the Great Americn Rib Company a try, but I am not holding my breath.
I grew up in a small town around Houston and went to school in Austin, so you can imagine I have opinions on barbecue, burgers and Tex-Mex. Still, you take what you can get here in my experience. I would not expect anything like home when you to to GARC, but as far as Thailand goes (and probably SE Asia for that matter) it's not bad and in a couple of cases it's quite good.

If you're looking for a meal that would stand up to some level of scrutiny back home I'd really go with chicken quesadillas (they're not as cheesy as back home, but the flavor and consistency's right) to start off and a half order of beef ribs for the main course with a side of cornbread. The dry rub on the beef ribs really lets you see how much smoking goes into the meat and avoids the problem of slathering everything in ten quarts of sauce. The key to the quesadillas and the cornbread seems to be that they brush both with butter somewhat generously before cooking and before serving (if I'm right). Follow it all up with the apple pie and a scoop of vanilla if they haven't run out of pie (they often run out of pie). Make sure to specify not to put any crazy stuff on the pie. For some reason I've had it served with chocolate syrup drizzled on top and other things that simply do not belong on either key lime or apple pies.

I'd think if you order that you'd say, "That wasn't bad for Thailand." Make sure to point to the beef ribs on the menu when you order as I've had a waitress focus on the word ribs before and serve me pork ribs instead (which I ate anyway and didn't comment on, heh).

Thanks for the tip on the beef ribs. I will surely try as I am not a fan of their pork ribs. I agree the chicken quesadillas are good there, but the salsa fresca is not done properly to my taste (no spice). I also agree their burgers are not great. Are the beef ribs not supposed to be served with BBQ on the side as the pork ribs are?

Edited by Jingthing

Thanks for the tip on the beef ribs. I will surely try as I am not a fan of their pork ribs. I agree the chicken quesadillas are good there, but the salsa fresca is not done properly to my taste (no spice). I also agree their burgers are not great. Are the beef ribs not supposed to be served with BBQ on the side as the pork ribs are?
Yeah, the pico's not right, but it's as close as any pico I've had in Thailand. Too pickled, not fresh enough. The beef ribs back home would or wouldn't be served with sauce on the side based on the establishment in my experience, but I'm sure they'll bring out a side of sauce if you ask (I can't remember if they're served with sauce, but they might be). Best of luck!

How does this place compare to Australian Outback (Discovery tower or were-ever they are located) for instance?

That place is one of the worst restaurants I have had the misfortune of giving my custom to in Bangkok.

You know it's bad when 'chips and cheese' is a bona fide menu item. :o

Edited by SmugFarangBore

I had one of better meals in Bangkok at GARC last night. Being from L.A. I wouldn't dare to say that I know what the best BBQs taste like but what I have tasted in L.A. wasn't half bad. I think GARC was par with some of the BBQ joints in L.A. Meat was falling off of the ribs, pull pork was as good as I tasted and I especially liked the sauce as it wasn't too tangy. GARC is going to be a place I am going to make sure to stop by every week.

The Great American Rib Company is top shelf for most things but I agree that the hamburger could be better. I go to Bully's if I want a hamburger. Between Bourbon Street, Bully's and the Rib Company you will cover the bases. Neils's steaks are also good but quite expensive as is the rest of their menu. None of the above is cheap.

I grew up in a small town around Houston and went to school in Austin, so you can imagine I have opinions on barbecue, burgers and Tex-Mex. Still, you take what you can get here in my experience. I would not expect anything like home when you to to GARC, but as far as Thailand goes (and probably SE Asia for that matter) it's not bad and in a couple of cases it's quite good.

If you're looking for a meal that would stand up to some level of scrutiny back home I'd really go with chicken quesadillas (they're not as cheesy as back home, but the flavor and consistency's right) to start off and a half order of beef ribs for the main course with a side of cornbread. The dry rub on the beef ribs really lets you see how much smoking goes into the meat and avoids the problem of slathering everything in ten quarts of sauce. The key to the quesadillas and the cornbread seems to be that they brush both with butter somewhat generously before cooking and before serving (if I'm right). Follow it all up with the apple pie and a scoop of vanilla if they haven't run out of pie (they often run out of pie). Make sure to specify not to put any crazy stuff on the pie. For some reason I've had it served with chocolate syrup drizzled on top and other things that simply do not belong on either key lime or apple pies.

I'd think if you order that you'd say, "That wasn't bad for Thailand." Make sure to point to the beef ribs on the menu when you order as I've had a waitress focus on the word ribs before and serve me pork ribs instead (which I ate anyway and didn't comment on, heh).

OK, I will give the beef ribs a try.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Have been to both Roadhouse and Great American Rib.

I have to say that for quality and taste, Roadhouse was better. You get real North American portions at Roadhouse , even more then at GARC.

Price wise, Roadhouse is also more expensive then GARC.

"GARC" pretty much sums up the noises i make after eating at GARC

• 2 months later...

Had another very good meal the other night at the Great American Rib Co. branch on Suk. Soi 36...

625 baht "Half feast" for two people with pork ribs, pulled pork, BBQ chicken, and sliced pork loin with wasabi sauce, accompanied by small helpings of jalapeno corn bread, potato salad, cole slaw, french fries and BBQ beans.

Washed down with a litre or so pitcher of very good mango margaritas. With GARC's mandatory 10% service charge and 7% VAT the total came to about 1,150 baht. Had the same meal before with the same result -- pretty consistently good.

Once again, as with past visits there, there were more Thai families there eating good ole' U.S. BBQ than farang folks. A very pleasant meal and evening.

Always the joker James!!!!

1. Truth is, the GF and I eat at home most days of the week, but tend to eat out on her days off work. So that averages maybe 2 days a week, which I would assume is about average for folks. Nothing special about that.

But, the difference is, I like to regularly write about our restaurant outings.

2. Exercise every day (or almost) for health and keeping the figure.

Great review. For BBQ ribs, Tony Romans at Paragon and Sukhumvit soi 5 also have great ribs at 350 baht net for lunch weekdays.

Robert

I ate the ribs at Tony Roma's near Nana BTS last Saturday. They were the most tender ribs I've in Bangkok thus far. (My wife ordered the steak which she said was too tough.)

• 1 year later...