Lactobacillus Acidophilus Milk Or Yogurt

TofuGirl

Hi all. I want to eat some probiotic acidophilus culture somewhere. In the USA we can buy milk that already has it. It's good for a lady's health in more ways than one, and also good for everybody's intestinal health. I know some vitamin stores here sell the pills, but I think it is better to eat the culture live. Do any of you buy milk or yogurt around the city with it ? Where please ? Thank you for your help!

You can find Lactobacillus in the dairy section of pretty much all grocery stores here. look for the tiny bottles (about 2 sips worth) of pink liquid, one brand is called Yakult.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakult

One of the main brands of yogurt sold her also advertises that it contains Lactobacillus in it. I think there is a large LC on the label.

Hi all. I want to eat some probiotic acidophilus culture somewhere. In the USA we can buy milk that already has it. It's good for a lady's health in more ways than one, and also good for everybody's intestinal health. I know some vitamin stores here sell the pills, but I think it is better to eat the culture live. Do any of you buy milk or yogurt around the city with it ? Where please ? Thank you for your help!

I've been wondering the same thing. I know it's good for stomach up-keep. I don't think Mal-C should give you a hard time though. I'd like to see the look on the 7-11 workers' faces if he was to go in and ask 'Where's the lactobacilus acidopholus?'

Yakult is kinda processed and cr@p though.

The best way to take probiotic is in the powder (you keep in the fridge so the little fellas don't die and stir it into water to take). Not seen this in Thailand.

IMHO capsules are much better than Yakult. If you found capsules that had to be refrigerated that would be as good as the powder I mentioned. Non-refrigerated capsules will still be better than chemically Yakult gunk.

[if anyone knows where I could get the powder in CM I'd be super-happy!]

Sawasdee Khrup, TofuGirl,

I am very impressed by your nym since I (this body, that is) am a living monument to Thai Soy in its incarnation as "nam tohu" :o

There is a Meiji (Japanese) brand of ... I'm not sure if it's actually drinking yoghurt or milk ... in about a half-liter sized bottle that you will find in Carrefour and Tops, for example, that has some 83 billion live lacto-beings per bottle. I took a gander at Meiji's web site, but could not find a comprehensive list of products.

Khun Somkuan, the very kind and well-informed pharmacist who runs the "Green Pharma" on the lowest level of Kad Suan Kaew, suggested this to me when I wanted to get live lacto ... and did not want to pay the high price for capsules.

What distinguishes this bottle is the presence of large Japanese characters on the bottle-front near the top (but there's no English on the bottle). On the back you'll see the number 83 as part of the Thai description.

I can't recommend the taste of this product; it's defintely sweetened, too sweet for me, and has a slightly "orangish" taste.

to your health ... ~o:37;

Make your own yogurt. It's easy. A guy in Hua Hin who does detoxes/retreats showed me how to make it, then 'Lassi'. I drink it with every meal.

care to tell us how to make it?

Come on now. Save my poor old typing fingers. There's lots of sites offering advice. Search for 'how to make your own yogurt'. :o

Make your own yogurt. It's easy. A guy in Hua Hin who does detoxes/retreats showed me how to make it, then 'Lassi'. I drink it with every meal.

Come on now. Save my poor old typing fingers. There's lots of sites offering advice. Search for 'how to make your own yogurt'. :D

But we could give you feedback - we could even start a 'how to make the best Yoghurt in Chiangmai' thread. :o

• 1 year later...

You could try

http://www.makeyourownyogurt.com/

just a guess?! oh, the mystery! :lol:

Or this

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+make+your+own+yoghurt

Rim Ping has a pretty decent selection - and dutch mill has it's Bio line in every 7/11 - I like the taste but it's not (remotely) organic, despite the name. At Rim Ping they have Australian Yoghurt, I think it's called Farmer's or something, which is exactly the kind I am missing from the US. Thick and creamy, and no sugar - delicious! Pretty expensive though so making your own is def. going to be cheaper...

Edited by nikster

Sawasdee Khrup, TofuGirl,

I am very impressed by your nym since I (this body, that is) am a living monument to Thai Soy in its incarnation as "nam tohu" :o

There is a Meiji (Japanese) brand of ... I'm not sure if it's actually drinking yoghurt or milk ... in about a half-liter sized bottle that you will find in Carrefour and Tops, for example, that has some 83 billion live lacto-beings per bottle. I took a gander at Meiji's web site, but could not find a comprehensive list of products.

Khun Somkuan, the very kind and well-informed pharmacist who runs the "Green Pharma" on the lowest level of Kad Suan Kaew, suggested this to me when I wanted to get live lacto ... and did not want to pay the high price for capsules.

What distinguishes this bottle is the presence of large Japanese characters on the bottle-front near the top (but there's no English on the bottle). On the back you'll see the number 83 as part of the Thai description.

I can't recommend the taste of this product; it's defintely sweetened, too sweet for me, and has a slightly "orangish" taste.

to your health ... ~o:37;

I know the liquid yogurt has the little critters but it has to much sugar for me. Do you know if this Japanese stuff has sugar in it?

I will try and post a pic of the active culture milk/drinkable yoghurt that is available everywhere tmw. In BKK (in my area of BKK) they called it Nom Priaw (sour milk ...) It literally has a number on the bottle of what they claim is the number of active/live organisms in the milk on the bottle.

Come on now. Save my poor old typing fingers. There's lots of sites offering advice. Search for 'how to make your own yogurt'. :D

But we could give you feedback - we could even start a 'how to make the best Yoghurt in Chiangmai' thread. :o

Can you make peanut butter yogurt? :)

I know the liquid yogurt has the little critters but it has to much sugar for me. Do you know if this Japanese stuff has sugar in it?

There is one type with low sugar that they carry at every 7/11. It is marked clearly in English and is still sweet, but much less so than the other offerings.

• 11 months later...

Hi,

It seems that the real 0% fat and 0% sweet yoghurt do not exist here, and i have at least never seen a not sweet at all yoghurt, and even when they would write it on the box i wouldn't trust them, so do you know how to make your own yoghurt, and is it easy ?

Thanks.

Villa (not sure if you have one in Chiang Mai ) has a kind that fits the bill. I got some in the fridge, cant remember the name but wasnt a big brand name for sure.

Lactobacillus Acidophilus, that's a real mouth full.

I was going to reply, but I'll wait until I've learnt how to pronounce, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, first.

biggrin.png LOL ...

Try yoghurt at Kasem's, Aiden, Baan Suan Pak (health stores) They're good in living food, raw goat milk, waterkefir, Aiden's tastes like ginger ale licklips.gif

Amazing Sandwich, Rimping, Tops sell unsweetened yoghurt as well (last 2 sell brand Yolida)

Baan Suan Pak sells probiotics for about 30 baht a bottle (she told me it has 80 'good' bacteria in it)