Local Hospitals For Child Birth

Richb2004v2

My wife is 5 months pregnant, and I wondered if anyone had any experience of child birth with any of the local hospitals? I am particularly interested in the Satahip hospital. Although we plan on using PhayaThai at Siracha we may need to use Satahip in an emergency. Any info appreciated.

My wife is 5 months pregnant, and I wondered if anyone had any experience of child birth with any of the local hospitals? I am particularly interested in the Satahip hospital. Although we plan on using PhayaThai at Siracha we may need to use Satahip in an emergency. Any info appreciated.

Why if you living in Ban Chang are using Siracha ???.....doesnt make sense....

1. Queen Sirikit hospital in Sattahip

2. Bangkok Rayong Hospital

3. At a push Bangkok Pattaya

Why if you living in Ban Chang are using Siracha ???.....doesnt make sense....

1. Queen Sirikit hospital in Sattahip

2. Bangkok Rayong Hospital

3. At a push Bangkok Pattaya

We used their fertility program, which was obviously a success, so have opted to have the birth there too. I really don't know if this is a good idea or not. I've used both Bangkok Rayong and Bangkok Pattaya for other things. The former didn't inspire confidence and the later didn't do a great job. Although I know that some government hospital do a good job I hear many horror stories too, particularly about Sirikit :D . On a recent visit to Queen Sirikit the doctor mentioned all manner of Buddhist mumbo-jumbo during the consultation which really put me off. I know thats endemic to the country but I would still rather not hear it from a man that might be in charge of my wifes life :o .

Well I can talk about Bangkok Rayong first hand having had surgery in there about 3 years ago and couldnt fault the service I got in there...first class

I went for a consultation about some surgery a couple of years ago, and didn't feel at all comfortable about the surgeon there. Neither did my wife. The guy seemed like a complete amateur who was just going to 'have a go'. Another time I dragged myself there from my sick bed and was given a pile of pills after seeing various doctors. A day later I had to drag myself back with the same symptoms. They checked me again and this time gave me the correct pills but still charged me again.

I'm sure there are plenty of good experiences like your's too.

• 4 weeks later...

Both my boys (aged 2.4 and 1) were born at Piyavate Hospital in Bangkok. Doctor Tongyai, director of the "Perfect Woman Institute", is apparently quite well known for people with fertility problems and lectures around the world on it. We didn't have such problems but there were potential birth complications (big baby, small mommy so not turning around) and we knew we were in for a C-Section both times. I was pretty impressed with the guy as he remembered my wife (who is Thai) each visit and continued conversations that were left off at our last visits. They have all the latest world-class technology there. 3D real-time ultrasounds, etc...

Ended up staying 4 nights in a private two-room suite, C-Section by their top doc, dealt with some slight jaundice complications and paid about 70k THB which I thought was amazing cause my insurance co-pays alone in the USA would be higher than that if you could even find a facility as nice for an individual patient. Highly recommended.

Side story... mother in law is very superstitious with numbers as many Thai ladies are. Since it was a C-Section she spent a lot of time figuring out the date + the kid's Thai name (which I didn't make easy by rejecting probably the first dozen.. briefly had one I liked until some kid with that exact name came in an interviewed with me turned out to be a complete idiot. dam_n. haha). The day before the selected date I was joking to family & friends about how silly I thought it was and supposed that, if they could, they'd pick the hour minute and second of birth.

So I'm in the OR in my scrubs ready to "assist" and everything's ready to go and I'm wondering what we're waiting around for. Then I realize the doc & attendings are all looking at a clock on the wall behind me and he's got the scaple out with everyone standing by.

9:58.30a Sept 7th - Ready Set Go! I'm thinking "Son of a..."

9:59a on the dot - "WAH!!!" as my son is born at the exact time my mother in law asked the doc for but kept me in the dark about.

haha don't underestimate Grandma.

best of luck Dad.

Well I can talk about Bangkok Rayong first hand having had surgery in there about 3 years ago and couldnt fault the service I got in there...first class

I went for a consultation about some surgery a couple of years ago, and didn't feel at all comfortable about the surgeon there. Neither did my wife. The guy seemed like a complete amateur who was just going to 'have a go'. Another time I dragged myself there from my sick bed and was given a pile of pills after seeing various doctors. A day later I had to drag myself back with the same symptoms. They checked me again and this time gave me the correct pills but still charged me again.

I'm sure there are plenty of good experiences like your's too.

I know people who had babies at both Bangkok Trat and Bangkok Chantiburi and it was a good experience. As long as there are no complications any hospital should be fine as there are so many kids born here already. If there are complications I don't know of any hospital that I would recommend.

What about the Navy Hospital? Do the Navy Wives have there kids there? I have heard nothing but good about it. The military hospitals in Korat and Udon are also very good, Udon even has a CAT Scan.

• 4 weeks later...

I think that we are going to switch to Bangkok Rayong as the Siracha hospital is not convenient, especially in the case of an emergency.

Has anyone any child birth experience there? There are apparently three doctors. I guess there are probably all of similar skill.

• 2 weeks later...

Bangkok Rayong is a fine hospital with good doctors. Built about three years ago it has modern equipment and cleanliness standards are good.

Both my wife and her sister gave birth there with no problems.

Queens hospital is a government public hospital. Very dated and always crowded. You get what you pay for. I personally would not go there. My wife has and every time end up spending most of the day waiting.

PhayaThai Sriratcha is also a fine hospital but it is quite a distance from Ban Chang.

We wish you, your wife and newborn all the best.

Edited by Spacer

I've had a child born at the government hospital in Buri Ram and also at a private Bangkok hospital. Both were excellent although the private hospital was 3 times the price.

Nothing wrong with the local hospitals IMHO. 40 million Thais can't be wrong.

Bangkok Rayong is a fine hospital with good doctors. Built about three years ago it has modern equipment and cleanliness standards are good.

Queens hospital is a government public hospital. Very dated and always crowded. You get what you pay for. I personally would not go there. My wife has and every time end up spending most of the day waiting.

PhayaThai Sriratcha is also a fine hospital but it is quite a distance from Ban Chang.

I presume the government hospitals do have an emergency room. I ask because we went there one evening with an important need. It wasn't an emergency but was important that we were seen to quickly. We couldn't muster any sense of urgency from anyone there. With my wife being pregnant and there always being a chance of an emergency I wonder what response we would get there, or if we would be better driving the extra 20 minutes to the private hospital in Rayong? I’m not having a go at the hospital I just wonder if anyone has been there with an emergency.

I presume the government hospitals do have an emergency room. I ask because we went there one evening with an important need. It wasn't an emergency but was important that we were seen to quickly. We couldn't muster any sense of urgency from anyone there. With my wife being pregnant and there always being a chance of an emergency I wonder what response we would get there, or if we would be better driving the extra 20 minutes to the private hospital in Rayong? I'm not having a go at the hospital I just wonder if anyone has been there with an emergency.

Bangkok Rayong has an emergency dept, although glad to say never had the need to test it, in addtion they have an ambulance service as well to the hospital...

In agreement with Spacer that Bangkok Rayong is a good hospital with good doctors, having been in there for surgery, couldnt fault the service and care received.

I place more trust in what they tell you there over Bangkok Pattaya hospital, as was treated at BPH chronic elbow pain and the othopedic surgeon who treated me said it was a surgery case, I said no, went to Bangkok Rayong for a second opinion and the Othopedic surgeon at Bangkok Rayong told me the guy at BHP had mis-diagnosed the condition and there where other treatments we could try and surgery was an absolute last resort after we had tried other things....in the end surgery not required..