A French Lawyer Claims The Regulations Are Back To Pre-2006 Situation

Please read that:

http://www.lepetitjournal.com/content/view/35657/1013/

Don't tell me you cannot read French!

:-)

Well! this based in BKK French lawyer tells:

Visa run to get a 30 days (15 days by land) stamp is possible without this 90 days / 6 months limitation.

Investors visa (canceled in 2006) exists again but amount is 10 M (3 M before 2006).

One year extension retired visa based on 800K THB in bank: 60 days instead of 90 days before the date of the visa expiration.

Married to a Thai citizen visa: the 400K THB deposit in bank valid again.

Maybe it's something you know perfectly and maybe I missed the info in TV. Sorry.

Maybe it's BS.

Maybe it's new.

Edited by geovalin

Please read that:

http://www.lepetitjournal.com/content/view/35657/1013/

Don't tell me you cannot read French!

:-)

Well! this based in BKK French lawyer tells:

Visa run to get a 30 days (15 days by land) stamp is possible without this 90 days / 6 months limitation.

Investors visa (canceled in 2006) exists again but amount is 10 M (3 M before 2006).

One year extension retired visa based on 800K THB in bank: 60 days instead of 90 days before the date of the visa expiration.

Married to a Thai citizen visa: the 400K THB deposit in bank valid again.

Maybe it's something you know perfectly and maybe I missed the info in TV. Sorry.

Maybe it's BS.

Maybe it's new.

Almost correct. New Police Order November 25th 2008.

Retirement 800,000 in the bank for 60 days for 1st application 90 days thereafter.

Married to a Thai Lady 400,000 in a Thai bank or 40,000 monthly income. Has to be the husbands money.

No restrictions on the number of Visa Exempt Entries.

Retirement 800,000 in the bank for 60 days for 1st application 90 days thereafter.

Th French lawyer meant only the 1st application, I guess, and NOT the yearly extension afterwards. As he did not mentioned clearly the extensions, his text is confusing.

By the way, thank you LB

I don’t know about the “Investors visa” with an investment of 10 million Baht. I do not have a copy of the extension rules that were in effect before October 2006, but I do know that the current rules do not have such extension.

The only place where I see 10 million Baht mentioned is the Immigration Act, but that was never cancelled and is not about annual extensions but about Permanent Residence:

Section 43 : When any alien brings foreign not less than ten million baht , for investment in the Kingdom

and the Immigration Commission has considered that it is not contradictory to the provisions of this Act ,

the Immigration Commission , with the concurrence of the Minister, shall allow said alien to take up

residence in the Kingdom over and the above number of aliens as published by the Minister under

Section 40, but not to exceed 5% of said amount each year.

For the purpose of examination of foreign currency brought in for investment, the alien who is

allowed to take up residence under Para , must display financial status for the period of not less than two

years , but not more than five years, in accordance with the regulation prescribed by the Immigration

Commission , or as the Immigration Commission may deem appropriate.

I would like more info about the investor visa and/or permanent residence: can I get either or both by simply (I know, nothing is so simple) putting 10 million baht into a savings account in a Thai bank?

Concerning the OP: The title is misleading. The misspelled word "Prenteds" should really read "Claims" (i.e., A French lawyer claims the regulations...; he is not pretending anything!).

(The French word prétendre means "to claim" in English. The English word "pretend" should be translated as "faire semblant" in French.) Sorry if I sound pedantic. Don't ya' just love languages?

article 2.5 of the new rules is mentions an investment of 10 million.

You’re right, it is back, the extension for investment of 10 million Baht, and those who got it when the rule for 3 million Baht existed continue to be grandfathered.

--

Maestro

You’re right, it is back, the extension for investment of 10 million Baht, and those who got it when the rule for 3 million Baht existed continue to be grandfathered.

Could you elaborate Maestro ? "extension" means : I take a regular B visa 3 months in my home country... I go to Thailand... I buy a condo 10 millions, and when my visa expires, I ask for "an extension for investment" ?

And they gives me 12 months ? And every year after, I ask for an "extension" again ?

Is that correct ?

Edited by cclub75

That’s how it is supposed to work according to clause 2.5, part B of the Royal Thai Police Order No. 777/2551:

2.5 In the case of an investment:

Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

Basis for consideration:

B. In case of an investment of not less than 10 million baht.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)

(2) Proof of money transfer to Thailand of not less than 10 million baht.

(3) Proof of investment to purchase or rent for a period not less than 3 years of unit in a condominium from an agency or government agency concerned at a price of not less than 10 million baht.

(4) Proof of investment in the form of a fixed deposit of not less than 10 million baht with a bank registered in Thailand with Thai shareholders comprising more than 50% of its shareholders.

(5) Proof of investment to purchase government or state enterprise bonds with a value of not less than 10 million baht or

(6) Proof of combined investments as set out in clauses (3),(4)

I suggest you discuss this with your local immigration office in Thailand first before you make the investment, to be sure that they know about this rule and how to interpret it.

--

Maestro

I suggest you discuss this with your local immigration office in Thailand first before you make the investment, to be sure that they know about this rule and how to interpret it.

Thanks.

In any case, it's a positive news. Not because huge number of people would be able (or willing) to use this path, but because it shows that the thai authorities can put some water into their wine, as far as immigration policy is concerned.

I would like more info about the investor visa and/or permanent residence: can I get either or both by simply (I know, nothing is so simple) putting 10 million baht into a savings account in a Thai bank?

Concerning the OP: The title is misleading. The misspelled word "Prenteds" should really read "Claims" (i.e., A French lawyer claims the regulations...; he is not pretending anything!).

(The French word prétendre means "to claim" in English. The English word "pretend" should be translated as "faire semblant" in French.) Sorry if I sound pedantic. Don't ya' just love languages?

Thank you for the input.

As a non Native English Speaker, I need this kind of correction but usually the readers don't take time to correct / teach / explain.