Using A Scb Atm Card In Australia

because of the horrible bank charges when doing international transfers and some downright criminal exchange rates I was considering opening a SCB account and sending the ATM to Aust.

does anyone else do this , and can they clue me up on the charges and which exchange rates are used - and maybe which ATMs in Aust are best to use.

getting stung by the banks at both ends of the bank transfer does not seem like the most efficient way to move money around.

when I withdraw money from a BKK Bank ATM with my Sing HSBC card it costs me 8 sing dollars here , if I was to transfer the money it would cost 34 SGD to HSBC and another 60 SGD to BKK bank. ( though I get BKK bank onshore rates - tfer in SGD )

when I withdraw money from a BKK Bank ATM with my Sing HSBC card it costs me 8 sing dollars here , if I was to transfer the money it would cost 34 SGD to HSBC and another 60 SGD to BKK bank. ( though I get BKK bank onshore rates - tfer in SGD )

If you're in Bangkok there's an HSBC ATM which will only charge you 3.5 S$. Same fee if you used that card in an HSBC ATM in Oz.

Also, if you have to use another bank's ATM here in Thailand, go for UOB which allows 30,000 per transaction for the 8 S$ fee, instead of 20 (or sometimes 25k) at all the other banks. Whatever you do, don't use SCB as they charge another 20 baht on top of the S$ fee!

CMMCB