Smoking Ban In Bangkok.... In Effect?

somefellow

It's been wonderful, really. People who really need to smoke can usually still do so outdoors (at a table there continuously if they like). I'd say business has gone up in many of the establishments I frequent.

Recently a city in the states that imposed a no-smoking ordinance demonstrated that compared to nearby cities which hadn't the incidence of heart attacks (for non-smokers as well as smokers) dropped over 25%!!!!

This is interesting I'd like to see more data on any other subsequent effects brought on by the smoking ban. Nobody where I live has done any such research, 'it might be time to find some local activists to inspire' and do all of this work !

I hate it in Central World mall where the mall employees all go the the indoor parking lot to smoke (all converging near the glass door entrance to the main mall), so you smell the smoke every time you leave or enter the mall, and it sticks to your clothes; and the relatively stagnant smoke covers a wide area around the glass doors.

What's the point, if it's still indoor and 70% enclosed? Well, better than them smoking in the main mall I guess, so the management tolerates it... Moreover, I guess it can't be worse than the cars' exhaust. But at least the cars' exhaust smell doesn't stick to your clothes; unlike the smokers' fumes whose smoke sticks to the clothes.

:)

Edited by junkofdavid2

I know the smoking ban is being enforced in many places in Thailand, and I am thankful for that. But by far, Koh Samui is the worst offender. There are only a handful of restaurants on Samui, that even have signs posted. It is the worst location in Thailand for non-smokers. I have walked into restaurants and asked for the non-smoking section, and they look at you like you are from Mars. The normal response is, "no problem, you can smoke anywhere". Talk about missing the point. There is not a single government official that cares, or has made any effort. The mayor is lazy, corrupt, and all talk, and no action. He must be voted out next time, but still nothing will change, unless someone in power in Bangkok embarrasses them into submission. The mayor has been informed of the problem, and he promised to set up an enforcement group to go around and inspect every restaurant and bar on the island. As far as we know, not a single one was ever inspected. Talk about bluster. Talk about lack of initiative. Talk about ineffective. Talk about a lack of leadership. Talk about weak and dishonest. Someone has to do something. It has to come from the top.

I smoked for 18 years, from a daily B&H at 11 years old on my paper round to 40 a day at 28 years. Stopped two years ago and am extremely happy that I've managed to pack it in ...however, I live in Samui and am very HAPPY that smokers can continue to smoke where thay want! I don't like the smell, it's far more noticeable when you're a non smoker, but I simply don't choose tables next to smokers. Less nannying the better thanks - good job Samui ;-)

I suppose I get your point about less "nannying". Most people in Samui seem to appreciate the utter lack of law

enforcement, and competent policing. I suppose I like some aspects of that too. But, for a non-smoker who has

an allergy to tobacco smoke it would sure be nice if at least a small percentage of restaurants and bars here

enforced the law. It is the Thai law after all. I am not bringing my personal preferences to this land, and harping

on people not observing my preferences. I am only saying that it would be nice to see the law occasionally enforced,

especially when it comes to something as fabulously heinous as people blowing smoke in your face while you are

trying to enjoy your meal. I consider smoking to be the embodiment of a lack of personal discipline, and also

an extreme display of a lack of self esteem. Sabotaging the body like that could result from no other deep seated

emotion than wanting to, or being willing to destroy one's body, and a willingness to create so much pollution of

filth around them. Of course it is a habit I have no understanding of. And I am not being critical of people who

choose to smoke. I am only saying that it is not too much to ask that smokers show a very modest sense of

discipline when they are eating in a restaurant. I do not think that is too much to ask.

I suppose I get your point about less "nannying". Most people in Samui seem to appreciate the utter lack of law

enforcement, and competent policing. I suppose I like some aspects of that too. But, for a non-smoker who has

an allergy to tobacco smoke it would sure be nice if at least a small percentage of restaurants and bars here

enforced the law. It is the Thai law after all. I am not bringing my personal preferences to this land, and harping

on people not observing my preferences. I am only saying that it would be nice to see the law occasionally enforced,

especially when it comes to something as fabulously heinous as people blowing smoke in your face while you are

trying to enjoy your meal. I consider smoking to be the embodiment of a lack of personal discipline, and also

an extreme display of a lack of self esteem. Sabotaging the body like that could result from no other deep seated

emotion than wanting to, or being willing to destroy one's body, and a willingness to create so much pollution of

filth around them. Of course it is a habit I have no understanding of. And I am not being critical of people who

choose to smoke. I am only saying that it is not too much to ask that smokers show a very modest sense of

discipline when they are eating in a restaurant. I do not think that is too much to ask.

You make a good point, I wish they would enforce certain laws that were convenient to me as well.

I've heard a lot about people being 'allergic' to cigarette smoke, mainly from people in the US, I don't think it's such a problem elsewhere in the world.

I know a guy who has an allergy and it's not very nice, he needs to carry a large syringe around with him in case he goes into anaphylactic shock, life must be truly terrible for you with this burden, especially when so many people smoke everywhere in the world., at least my friend can chose not to eat the peanuts which could kill him.

Or maybe you meant you simply don't like the smell ?

t. I consider smoking to be the embodiment of a lack of personal discipline, and also

So what are you actually trying to say? :)

Come to Bangkok, there are plenty of non smoking venues here. Thankfully there are a few who still allow some people to make their own choices without having to push it down peoples throats.

A bit more common sense with the smoking regulationss, and the majority of people would be happy.

• 3 weeks later...
It's been wonderful, really. People who really need to smoke can usually still do so outdoors (at a table there continuously if they like). I'd say business has gone up in many of the establishments I frequent.

Recently a city in the states that imposed a no-smoking ordinance demonstrated that compared to nearby cities which hadn't the incidence of heart attacks (for non-smokers as well as smokers) dropped over 25%!!!!

WOW since this no smoking ordinance only happened in less that a year and I live in this area, 25% drop huh.. Not sure where you get your facts.. rubbish.. :):D:D

As with most law enforcement issues in Thailand, it is left to the local police station to either enforce the law, ignore the law or allow certain establishments to break the law in return for a bribe paid to the police.

The police operate a feudal system here. That's why all over Bangkok you see the signs stating clearly the borders to each police station's jurisdiction.