Tire Pressure - Why 40 Lbs?

PMK

Hi Dave_boo, I think your on to something! They are equating PSI and volume of air as the same thing.

Hi Lickey, there's a big difference between a 36 tonne loaded trailer and something like a Nivara or Triton. A 10psi difference in the later isn't a big deal.

Hi Dave_boo, I think your on to something! They are equating PSI and volume of air as the same thing.

Hi Lickey, there's a big difference between a 36 tonne loaded trailer and something like a Nivara or Triton. A 10psi difference in the later isn't a big deal.

Not everyone likes math like I do; and there seems to be a distinct lack of critical thinking in a lot of people...

I think Lickey was trying to demonstrate that even on those massive loads, the difference was 20 PSI when loaded....and if you were to extrapolate that downwards to the 32(ish) psi that a normal truck tyre is supposed to be at, you'll be looking at anywhere between an additional 3 and 5 psi. Not 8 or 18......

Opps, sorry, yes correct Dave, loaded trailer, on the floor,125PSI, jacked up, 105ish PSI, its the same with all bikes and cars, in the manual there should be a loaded and empty presure chart, but in the heat here, and the "quality assured" gauges, who knows??

Cheers, Lickey..

Opps, sorry, yes correct Dave, loaded trailer, on the floor,125PSI, jacked up, 105ish PSI, its the same with all bikes and cars, in the manual there should be a loaded and empty presure chart, but in the heat here, and the "quality assured" gauges, who knows??

Cheers, Lickey..

So does it mean by such a logic i should inflate my vigo 5psi more than the sticker suggest cos i'm pumping with the truck's weight on? 29psi+5=34 right and is that for both front and rear? by taking out the wheel to measure it shoul read 29psi or so...is that what you mean?

In thailand where air temperatures are fairly constant , you are better advised to take the manufacturers recommended pressures allowing 3 PSI for hot tyres , these pressures have been corelated to give the best road and load performance with some allowance for the wear factor , after all , the safety factor is more important than the replacement cost .When you over inflate a tyre because by your perception it feels 'Better' , what can (and does) happen is that the tyre tends to 'Bounce'' causing the tyre to 'Skip' on the road surface which in turn causes the tread to wear in a 'Scalloped 'pattern , this is most noticeable on the front tyres of motor cycles ridden at high speed . This 'Scalloping ' reduces the tractional effect of the tyre for both braking and cornering and increases the heat factor which both increases tyre pressure and the wear factor . The way to get around this heat(wear) factor is to fill the tyres with Nitrogen , which remains more stable in consideration of pressure variables , better safety factor and wear capabilities .

What one must also take into consideration for (grosely)over inflated tyres is the vibration factor imposed on steering and suspension components , these cause more rapid wear of these components , which in turn makes your vehicle less reliable and more difficult to control .

Should you be concerned about fuel mileage , clean all of that scrud so called grease out of your wheel bearings and repack with anti drag silicon lub , this can give you up to 10% saving in fuel consumption due to the decreased 'Roll factor'. Tech types who do not believe me , build yourself a test rig with variable load and drag factors , I defy you to obtain a defineable graph factor with the best automotive grease available , such as , Shell retinax 'A' , even before you inject the moisture or heat context .

Just trying to be helpfull in what is actualy a very pertinant look at vehicle safety , there are enough idiots out there already .

I recommend 36 - 38 PSI.

I just replaced mine after 100k km. Wear was very even, and ride was quite comfortable. There was definitely no scalloping pattern as dumball talks about. In fact, I was loathe to change them at all because I thought I could get another 100 km out of them. But my wife kept nagging that the dealer says it's time to change it so I eventually gave in. I'm sure someone will buy them and put them on their car with no issues. They were in really good shape.

I was watching the wear over the life of the tire while trying to get the best fuel economy and handling in the car. The recommended 30 PSI was much too low. The outsides were wearing unevenly at that pressure. I kept bumping it up slowly over the first 2 years of ownership until I felt the ride was becoming too stiff at 40, so I dropped it back to 38 as a target. Generally would fill when they got down to 36. Possibly I could have gone higher and it was just me being nervous getting too far outside of spec.

Can't comment on whether or not there might have been a few extra small vibrations in the steering column. I didn't notice anything serious, but maybe that will show itself someday. However, I don't consider the pressures I used to be "grossly" over inflated. In fact, the recommended setting was quite obviously too low.

Maybe the dealer you bought it from has had good experience with the tires at 40. You should ask them why. There might be a reason for it. It doesn't sound that outrageous based on my experience.

I recommend 36 - 38 PSI.

I just replaced mine after 100k km. Wear was very even, and ride was quite comfortable. There was definitely no scalloping pattern as dumball talks about. In fact, I was loathe to change them at all because I thought I could get another 100 km out of them. But my wife kept nagging that the dealer says it's time to change it so I eventually gave in. I'm sure someone will buy them and put them on their car with no issues. They were in really good shape.

I was watching the wear over the life of the tire while trying to get the best fuel economy and handling in the car. The recommended 30 PSI was much too low. The outsides were wearing unevenly at that pressure. I kept bumping it up slowly over the first 2 years of ownership until I felt the ride was becoming too stiff at 40, so I dropped it back to 38 as a target. Generally would fill when they got down to 36. Possibly I could have gone higher and it was just me being nervous getting too far outside of spec.

Can't comment on whether or not there might have been a few extra small vibrations in the steering column. I didn't notice anything serious, but maybe that will show itself someday. However, I don't consider the pressures I used to be "grossly" over inflated. In fact, the recommended setting was quite obviously too low.

Maybe the dealer you bought it from has had good experience with the tires at 40. You should ask them why. There might be a reason for it. It doesn't sound that outrageous based on my experience.

Sir , we can only converse about averages on a widely studied scenario , what suits one rarely suits another , but then , manufacturers have a much larger scope and infinitaly more knowledge than we as mere mortals could gain in our entire life-span .Thier studies are considerably much more in depth than that of one individual , they need to be because they have the imperative duty to ensure the safety of the users of thier products on a world wide scale , enjoy your findings , they are after all , your belief that no one could sway .

Yes, but almost every Thai don't agree with the 30psi setting I've been to many service centres at various location very funny indeed including tire shops I even make calls to hotline technical dept of these and still you get the usual 40/45psi suggestion, can explain these???

Yes "stupidity" and "sheep"

Yes, but almost every Thai don't agree with the 30psi setting I've been to many service centres at various location very funny indeed including tire shops I even make calls to hotline technical dept of these and still you get the usual 40/45psi suggestion, can explain these???

Yes "stupidity" and "sheep"

Thai say "I know , I know " but he never tells you what he know nor can he explain it , don't worry , be happy , no listen , no learn , not your or my problem , THIS IS THAILAND , let them remain in historical bliss .

The guys there always use to laugh at me when I would go there and insist on doing it myself then whipping out my own guage to check the pressures were right.....NOW I've bypassed them and bought my own compressor, easy just a few hundred baht and u can do it at home....when the tyres are cold. :D

Same same for me.

BTW - I think I've seen you driving around, neverdie. Do you have your name on a sticker at the top of your windscreen? :o

That's an overkill for general population, they (we) are left at the mercy of gas stations and their attendants. I bet vast majority of drivers don't own pressure guages and 90% of females wouldn't even know what they are and how to use them.

I've owned a pressure gauge ever since I've owned a vehicle - about 40 years. I'm amazed that anyone would not own one.

That's an overkill for general population, they (we) are left at the mercy of gas stations and their attendants. I bet vast majority of drivers don't own pressure guages and 90% of females wouldn't even know what they are and how to use them.

I've owned a pressure gauge ever since I've owned a vehicle - about 40 years. I'm amazed that anyone would not own one.

Most car owners are not aware it is imperative to keep the air cleaner free of dust , but they can be quite demonstrative about all mechanical aspects of thier vehicle . HAD many customers in my time of this ilk , simply told them if they knew so much , go fix it themselves , egotistical idiotsw cost buisiness too much money , that is why I am not a brain surgion , not my job , get the message ?

Guys, your thinking too much about this. Its simple really , The logic goes like this. The Pickups a 1 ton capacity. your going to put at least 2 Tons in there in reality. Same for the Motorbikes, designed for two but going to carry 5 ! No !?

Guys, your thinking too much about this. Its simple really , The logic goes like this. The Pickups a 1 ton capacity. your going to put at least 2 Tons in there in reality. Same for the Motorbikes, designed for two but going to carry 5 ! No !?

Wow, thanks for explaining that! So for every doubling of our weight carried, we should increase the pressure ~25%? Wonder how unsafe the motosyc would be with 5 people and tyres pushing 72 psi........ :o

Explain these? Yeah, they're idiots. If you want to confirm the tyre pressures then phone either Toyota (not Toyota Thailand) or the tyre manufacturer. Dave is correct, although he left out the lazy comments and the fact they would need to think to operate a pressure guage.

Mmm, think I need another coffee

I contacted Michelin Thailand with a similar enquiry using the "Contact Us" facility on their website That was in 2006....Still waiting for a reply

Wow, thanks for explaining that! So for every doubling of our weight carried, we should increase the pressure ~25%? Wonder how unsafe the motosyc would be with 5 people and tyres pushing 72 psi........ :o

It doesn't matter ! Buddha will protect you ! No !? :D You Farangs really do 'Think Too Mut' :D

The guys there always use to laugh at me when I would go there and insist on doing it myself then whipping out my own guage to check the pressures were right.....NOW I've bypassed them and bought my own compressor, easy just a few hundred baht and u can do it at home....when the tyres are cold. :D

Same same for me.

BTW - I think I've seen you driving around, neverdie. Do you have your name on a sticker at the top of your windscreen? :D

No mate, I don't have a sticker on top of my windscreen....is someone driving around with my nic plastered on his windscreen? Maybe hes a fan?? :D:o

Did I mention in an earlier post that the industry standard for tyre inflation pressures to increase in a tyre going from cold to hot is approximately 10%, based on normal operating conditions.

Theres a lot of too & fro happening here, but you will find the majority of tyres have a recommended pressure bracket being two pressures that are recommended for the tyre depending on how it is being used. The vehicles manufacturer will also recommend a tyre pressure on the vehicles tyre placcard. One good thing to keep in mind when looking at your vehicles tyre placcard is to make sure the tyres you are filling with air are of the same size and rating to those actually fitted to the car....AS it is quite common for people to change their wheels & tyres to different sizes. There are many variables and thats why you will find there is NO ONE EXACT pressure your tyres should be inflated to.

Best advice is to not let one of the gas station heros pump your tyres to all buggery.....it may end in tears and you are the one at the wheel.

Having said that, I am very particular about my tyres & after I get my vehicle serviced or something done to my bike I always quickly check things over before I leave the place of servicing, including the tyre pressure just in case those chaps have tampered with them.

Anyway, I wouldnt get too worked up about 40PSI & like a few have pointed out, its probably not too far from being correct....try working from 34 up & do it over a few weeks, playing with your pressure, staying within that range until you are happy. Buy a tyre pressure guage, that way you can be certain you are using something that is consistent as opposed to half a dozen different incorrect guages around the place. Also consistently check how your tyres are wearing accross the face of the tread. You will find tyres that are over inflated are wearing the centre of the tyre out quick & those that are underinflated are wearing the edges out quicker.....having said all of that, I am assuming that you wheel alignment is correct & thus not playing any part in this. (MOST LIKELY A VERY DANGEROUS ASSUMPTION).