Windsurfing

Any comments on windsurfing in Pattaya or Jomtien? I saw a few people out on Jomtien beach. I stopped by and the guy said something like $30 US per hour. It seemed kind of high (maybe he was including lessons :o ). I am an average-intermediate windsurfer but haven't tried it out in Thailand.

1) Any good rental places that are cheaper. I would like to stay out on the water for a few hours, maybe 4 or 6 times a month.

2) What is the typical season for Windsurfing in Pattaya/Jomtien.

3) Any horror stories about jetski incidents or boats running reckless.

3) What's the typical windsurfing sail someone has used in Pattaya/Jomtien. Maybe a 7 or 8.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm just a rookie but enjoy renting a board at Loongchat every now and then, have found them to be very helpful and good value. Have a look on their website for prices, location etc. www.clubloongchat.com

// Johan

Club Loong Chat and Amara (Blue Lagoon) are walking distance from eachother. BOth good, price for all equipment is something like $60 USD for a day, $40 USD for 1/2 a day, and about $30 per hour....so best to take stuff for the day ;-)

Because prevailing wind is 8-15 knots basically from Nov - May, the best gear will be modern wideboards, at least 120 litres or more, and a sail of maybe 8m; smaller on a windy day, larger up to 10-11m on a really light day; formula gear you can be planing in as little as 7-8 knots no problem.

Season is like this:

Nov - early Feb: northerlies; kick in every day at about midday to maybe 4pm, usually around 15 knots

Feb - May: southerlies; a bit random but sea breeze usually kicking in around 11 and buildnig to a peak in the late afternoon sometimes as much as 20 knots, usually around 12-15

Jun - Sep; mostly southerlies with rain squalls drifting across which you can't really sail in if there is lightening; many good days, some really lousy periods

Around that part of the beach (close to Ocean Marina and Ambassador) not too many jetskis and stuff, so not many incidents, biggest problem are kiters out of control ;-)

Get onto windguru and you can get a decent prediction most of the year, it cannot pick up the northerlies or some sea breezes though; predictwind dot com is better for that sort of thing. It is great fun; if you go down regularly, you will meet new people, and have a great time!

I'd recommend if you ever get gear, a freeride board maybe 130 litres or so, 8.5m and you are going to be fine in most decent conditions. 7 is a bit small although some days in Jun - Sep you get a storm coming in and you can use as small as 6m or 7m.

Edited by bertlamar

• 2 weeks later...