Unsafe at work: Thai experts sound the alarm on Mental Health Day

3. 53

Are Older Men in Thailand Trading Love for Financial Ruin

4. 51

Bangkok Suffers Severe Smog as PM2.5 Levels Soar Amidst Heat Wave

5. 87

Why is Russia such a cesspool?

6. 95

Form 7162 Anybody Received Theirs Yet for 2024?

7. 0

Has my sex tourist friend found a loop hole?

8. 2,667

ICE vs EV, the debate thread

9. 68

Thai Hostages Still Missing a Year After Hamas Attack

10. 563

White Culture

11. 0

Florida Law Enforcement trying to protect the innocent,ain’t easy!

12. 87

Why is Russia such a cesspool?

13. 34

Tm47 online submission "rejected"

14. 19

Will White Women Shift Away from Republicans to Support Kamala Harris in 2024?

I'm Starving Hungry!

Drew Aitch

It's often said that you don't miss something until it has gone. Oh how true is that statement! The ole Microwave packed up last night and i never realized quite how much I used it until today. Everyday I'm making hot drinks, warming up snacks, and reheating food. I've just returned from Tops supermarket, and as I was walking around the isles I realized that my shopping basket was going to be very different from usual.

Anyway, it's cheap enough to buy a half decent microwave these days (around 5,000 Baht at a guess), but if it's possible to get this 3 year old model fixed for a 1000 Baht or less, then it'll probably be worth doing.

So does anyone know someone locally who is a dab hand at repairing microwaves? I won't hold my breath, but it's worth a post on the off chance.

Thanks in advance

Aitch

Drew Drew Drew Just Buy New New New

It's not worth the hassell Waiting for parts Ect

Cant be that much for a basic Microwave

Only £ 30 in the Uk.

Made Near Thailad No Shipping costs and Less VAT here

Got to be less than 2000 But not bought one recently so I could be Wrong

Thanks guys. Yes, you're probably right. Perhaps 3 years of continual use is enough for an 800 W mid sized micro. I've never had one for this long. Always moving on and selling them for peanuts or giving them away. When i think about it, over the time I've had it, it's only cost on average a little over 4 Baht a day, so not a bad run :o

Cheers

Aitch

It's often said that you don't miss something until it has gone. Oh how true is that statement! The ole Microwave packed up last night and i never realized quite how much I used it until today. Everyday I'm making hot drinks, warming up snacks, and reheating food. I've just returned from Tops supermarket, and as I was walking around the isles I realized that my shopping basket was going to be very different from usual.

Anyway, it's cheap enough to buy a half decent microwave these days (around 5,000 Baht at a guess), but if it's possible to get this 3 year old model fixed for a 1000 Baht or less, then it'll probably be worth doing.

So does anyone know someone locally who is a dab hand at repairing microwaves? I won't hold my breath, but it's worth a post on the off chance.

Thanks in advance

Aitch

there is an appliance fix it place on the road just east of the computer plaza on the North West road that lines the moat. Yes Drew I know you hate N.E.S.W but that's where this is. There is a popular gym right across the street. Okay for reference Chiang Mai Ram Hospital is at the North West corner of the moat. Head east from there and when you see the computer plaza then take the next road left. The fixit shop is on the left.

I have had a number of things repaired there and very good prices and service. If it's too much to fix then they don't charge for an estimate.

I try not to use a M.W. for health purposes but still great to have around for heating water or defrosting. I know what you mean about missing it.

Thanks in advance

Aitch

there is an appliance fix it place on the road just east of the computer plaza on the North West road that lines the moat. Yes Drew I know you hate N.E.S.W but that's where this is. There is a popular gym right across the street. Okay for reference Chiang Mai Ram Hospital is at the North West corner of the moat. Head east from there and when you see the computer plaza then take the next road left. The fixit shop is on the left.

I have had a number of things repaired there and very good prices and service. If it's too much to fix then they don't charge for an estimate.

I try not to use a M.W. for health purposes but still great to have around for heating water or defrosting. I know what you mean about missing it.

Thanks CobraSnakeNecktie. I think i know where you mean, not because i'm getting good with a compass, but more to do with i live in the vicinity. I'll probably stick me head in the door and ask them about it before strapping the blooming thing to me back.

Thanks once again :o

Aitch

Take out plug and open the microwave with a screwdriver.

You'll find a little board with one or two fuses on it. If they are glass you can tell if they're blown. If they're not they might be blackened anyway.

If so get an identical fuse and stick it in. When you take a fuse out watch out for a (harmless) whack from a capacitor. Use pliers so avoiding contact with bare metal.

You may be lucky, I have been twice.

Take out plug and open the microwave with a screwdriver. You'll find a little board with one or two fuses on it. If they are glass you can tell if they're blown. If they're not they might be blackened anyway. If so get an identical fuse and stick it in. When you take a fuse out watch out for a (harmless) whack from a capacitor. Use pliers so avoiding contact with bare metal. You may be lucky, I have been twice.

Ha ha lol :o Thanks sleepyjohn, but i think i'll leave anything like that to those in the know! Thanks anyway :D

Aitch

Hi Drew,

I was in makro the other day and they had microwaves for as little as 1700thb. I bought an LG from tesco's 2 years ago for around 2500thb, so imho i wouldn't bother getting it fixed, get yourself a new one, plus you get a big box to use for storage, win win....

Thanks in advance

Aitch

Take the back off. There is a fuse back there.

As Tracyann and Sleepyjohn said, look for a fuse. If you are going to throw it away and buy new, what can it hurt? You don't need to worry about damaqing something you are going to throw away.

All it takes is a screw driver. I had a built-in one back in the U.S. quit on me and didn't even have to take it out of the cabinet. Opened one panel, saw the blown glass fuse, replaced it; it worked for another 7 years. Cost U.S. $0.25, and fuses are even cheaper here.

Edited by noise

Take out plug and open the microwave with a screwdriver.

You'll find a little board with one or two fuses on it. If they are glass you can tell if they're blown. If they're not they might be blackened anyway.

If so get an identical fuse and stick it in. When you take a fuse out watch out for a (harmless) whack from a capacitor. Use pliers so avoiding contact with bare metal.

You may be lucky, I have been twice.

But surely SJ, if you replace a blown fuse with an identical one the problem will still be there.

Hi Guys.

I probably didn't make my opening post too clear. When i said the microwave had packed up, I probably should have said it's malfunctioning. There is power to it, but it keeps beeping and the numbers in the LCD are jumping all over the place. It's not possible to get any of the touch buttons to work. It's gone mad!!! Switching off and on does nothing as it simply picks up where it left off, beeping furiously and a racing LCD panel. So the fuse is not the problem. Thanks anyway :o

Aitch

I find the rice cooker to be a more versatile appliance than the microwave. You can buy a nice rice cooker for under 1000 baht. Actualy, I prefer the cheaper ones that have just two settings; the more expensive ones use something called "fuzzy logic" where they try to outthink you about what you're trying to cook.

I reheat street food and left overs in the rice cooker, steam veggies, make soup and cook all manner of rice, couccous, noodles, etc. The first small appliance I got in Thailand was a rice cooker and it was a long time until I felt I needed a microwave.

I find the rice cooker to be a more versatile appliance than the microwave. You can buy a nice rice cooker for under 1000 baht. Actualy, I prefer the cheaper ones that have just two settings; the more expensive ones use something called "fuzzy logic" where they try to outthink you about what you're trying to cook.

I reheat street food and left overs in the rice cooker, steam veggies, make soup and cook all manner of rice, couccous, noodles, etc. The first small appliance I got in Thailand was a rice cooker and it was a long time until I felt I needed a microwave.

That's an interesting idea Nancy, thanks :o I actually use my micro for drinks a lot though. Cooking a Liptons tea-bag for 2 mins on full power is the only way to get any flavour out of the bloody thing :D

Aitch