Forgot Bag In Taxi

Bastian

Today at 1730h my family took a blue taxi from the Chaleena hotel to the airport.

We forgot our trolley bag in the trunk and the driver took off before we noticed the missing bag 10s later.

The name of the driver as displayed on the card in the taxi was Mr. Sompan in roman letters, thai letters started with so-sya, mo-ma and then somewhere at the end a no-nin. The number on the card was 19590, I remember it, because I used it as an example to point out to my spouse how to use the digit sum of an integer to test divisibility.

I tried the tourist police office at the airport, but they were rather pessimistic about our chances of getting the bag back, their first suggestion was to make a general anouncement over the radio. Obviously the number on the card in the taxi is useless to them.

Is there some kind of taxi authority and what is their number?

what sort of crap reply is that?? Mate Id suggest calling police and finding out from them. If you're in a hotel Im sure they would know the number for the local station.

It wasn't a crap reply. Ask for help but never forget basic politeness.

Each taxi company (and so each colour of tax) has a central control number to contact in case of lost packages. If you remember the license plate and time/place of drop-off they will find the driver and eventually recover your bag. This process is speeded up by going to the police station local to the drop-off point, who will have the numbers.

what sort of crap reply is that?? Mate Id suggest calling police and finding out from them. If you're in a hotel Im sure they would know the number for the local station.

Each taxi company (and so each colour of tax) has a central control number to contact in case of lost packages. If you remember the license plate and time/place of drop-off they will find the driver and eventually recover your bag. This process is speeded up by going to the police station local to the drop-off point, who will have the numbers.

Carlbkk,

I would have to agree with James, that was a crappy first reply....your second one, much better attempt. The fact that your second attempt came some 12 hours after your first one, shows the type of charming person that you are.

Obviously the OP is rather paniced & concerned about their bag, who knows whats in it. If they've raced over to a internet cafe to try and get some advice on what they should do & theyre inital response is some punce on the other ending reminding them that they forgot to say 'please'....HOW WOULD YOU FEEL IN THEIR SHOES?

Anyway, hopefully they have enough information & finally got some help with the local police & taxi company.

Carlbkk,

I would have to agree with James, that was a crappy first reply....your second one, much better attempt. The fact that your second attempt came some 12 hours after your first one, shows the type of charming person that you are.

Obviously the OP is rather paniced & concerned about their bag, who knows whats in it. If they've raced over to a internet cafe to try and get some advice on what they should do & theyre inital response is some punce on the other ending reminding them that they forgot to say 'please'....HOW WOULD YOU FEEL IN THEIR SHOES?

Anyway, hopefully they have enough information & finally got some help with the local police & taxi company.

If I knew the numbers of the colour-coded taxi companies offhand I would have put it below my first reply. I know for a fact that many posters on here do know their contact details so they would have been more helpful than myself.

I was in his situation a few weeks ago, probably worse, having all visa documents, 3 passports and 3 years worth of bank statements being left in a boot of a taxi. The first thing I did was speak to security guards who log license plates, the second thing was to ask them the number of taxi companies. I called the company that matched with the colour and got no joy. The third thing I did was to go to the police station, the policeman calling the taxi company himself. Lastly, the company traced the driver and got the bag back from his house and delivered to me. One thing I never forgot in times of panic is to be polite and charming using simple please and thank you to people who I need help from. It gets you there so much easier. You may not agree.

Carl,

Its not a case of me not agreeing with you & the need to be polite, its just your first post showed little empathy & despite going thru all of this yourself recently, you couldnt even be bothered to offer any more timely assistance. WELL DONE, you must feel proud. Anyway enuf said, hopefully the OP will let us know how he went. Goodluck to you.

I'll be more timely in future, especially if he takes 0.2 more seconds to write please.

Just an afterthought, the airport information desks would have had the list of taxi numbers I'm sure, even if the security guards were useless.

Today at 1730h my family took a blue taxi from the Chaleena hotel to the airport.

We forgot our trolley bag in the trunk and the driver took off before we noticed the missing bag 10s later.

The name of the driver as displayed on the card in the taxi was Mr. Sompan in roman letters, thai letters started with so-sya, mo-ma and then somewhere at the end a no-nin. The number on the card was 19590, I remember it, because I used it as an example to point out to my spouse how to use the digit sum of an integer to test divisibility.

I tried the tourist police office at the airport, but they were rather pessimistic about our chances of getting the bag back, their first suggestion was to make a general anouncement over the radio. Obviously the number on the card in the taxi is useless to them.

Hi Sabastian,

I"m a Thai regulary visiting this website. well from your post, the blue taxi belongs to Thai Ace leasing company limited, but it's also some of personal taxi that the drivers bought to be their own taxi. Anyway I have already called for it, and now they are checking for you. I'll let you know later wether they find it or not.

Cheers!

May

Sorry, if my post lacked politeness, it may have been, that I was quite tired, when I wrote it, or it may be, that my nationality is natively impolite, at least I have often been told so by british host families.

So, please, any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

At the airport we had little time, because we needed to check in and then proceed to our gate, also one of us had to take care of our infant, so we did not explore all the possibilities right there and then, I merely went to the tourist police.

They werre supposed to call me this morning, to tell me if they found out anything, but I have not heard of them. I have allready come to grips with the fact, that we will have to acquire replacements for our lost items. I just wonder why they care to have these cards at all in the taxi, asking passengers to memorize the information upon it, if they are useless.

Thank your for your kind help.

When it comes to Thai taxis it is "finders keepers" that is the main rule. I´ve lost 7 mobiles in diffrent taxis, none of the phones have ever been returned. One time the taxidriver even picked up my call. The response? "This my mobile now!".

Once in a while TAT runs the taxidriver-returned-bag-with-5.000.000-Baht stories/commercials/fantasies. Strangly enough these stories have never been verified :o .

Good luck with finding your bag but don´t expect to much.

When it comes to Thai taxis it is "finders keepers" that is the main rule. I´ve lost 7 mobiles in diffrent taxis, none of the phones have ever been returned. One time the taxidriver even picked up my call. The response? "This my mobile now!".

Once in a while TAT runs the taxidriver-returned-bag-with-5.000.000-Baht stories/commercials/fantasies. Strangly enough these stories have never been verified :o .

Good luck with finding your bag but don´t expect to much.

I think he stands a good chance IF he goes to the police station with a Thai as well as having the Thai friend call the taxi company. He's got enough information to link the driver to it, although cars are brought back at the end of shifts and then collected by other drivers. The taxi company will keep tabs on who is on what shift and when cars are brought back. I had to wait 2 days for the driver to return to work where the boss asked him about the bag.

If you leave things in a taxi without remembering the colour of taxi and licence plate I think most of the time you'll never have it returned. I've left things from a Tag watch to childrens pillows in taxis before, nothing back. Occasionally you might get a driver with a bit of nam jai though.

Actually you are very lucky that you remember the name and ID number of the driver. You should call the company immediately. If you don't know the number just go stand on the street, hail a blue taxi, and ask for the company number. I once lost my bag in a taxi but didn't record the info and I lost everything-- passport, digi camera, etc... I spent weeks calling the company but to no avail... I even offered a 10,000 bt reward but whoever found my bag must have already fenced the contents because I never got a reply... the only nice thing was that it was my father-in-law's fault and he ended up buying us a far nicer camera than the one we had!

But seriously call the company and harass the hel_l out of them. I think if you show you mean business they MAY try to do something about it.