No passport - no visa

Found this in another forum the other day, and post it here for reference:

---

Hey Posters,

I have been trying to obtain a tourist visa before my departure for Thailand on February 3rd. I believe that obtaining this visa prior to arrival isn't really necessary as a US citizen but it can make things a tad bit easier upon arrival.

So,I did all my homework on the Los Angeles Royal Thai Embassy website and took down all of the requirements necessary to obtain the 30 day visa.

I got some passport sized photos taken, I filled out the application, and I sent them with a $15 money order and a self addressed stamped envelope.

I assumed that I would receive my visa within 10 working days.

So two weeks have passed and I finally received a message from the Thai embassy. The woman leaving the message said that I need to submit my PASSPORT to get my visa!

I assumed that they meant I need to send them a copy of the main passport page (the page with my name and picture on it). So I called them this morning to clarify things and the woman said that I indeed have to send in my actual passport

to receive the visa.

I told her that there is no way that I will send in my precious passport through the mail, especially since I'll be leaving in less that three weeks.

So she told me that I needed to get the visa now, as it was regulation. I told her "that's not true. I can get a tourist visa once I arrive in BKK."

So now I go to the final authority, you guys. I don't need a tourist visa before I leave, correct?

Share your knowledge with me my friends.

PS> She told me that my $15 money order was non-refundable. Bitch.

• Like 2