Australian Disability Pensions Paid In Thailand ?

Ken,

This from the C/L site:

"Disability Support Pension Payable for temporary or permanent absences, but payment only continues for 13 weeks unless the person is terminally ill.

If terminally ill then payment can continue indefinitely. Payment may be proportional in some cases. If not terminally ill payment may continue after 13 weeks in certain Agreement countries only.

Some different rules may apply if you left Australia before 1 July 2004 and have not returned to Australia permanently since that time. "

It seems you can only continue to receive disability after 13 weeks if you are terminally ill. It doesn't seem to have any flexibility, unlike the Age Pension.

Edited by Old Croc

Does anybody have any experience receiving an Oz Disabilty Support Pension in Thailand for longer than 13 weeks ?

I heard that it may be possible if married to a Thai, and if so, would a 7 year de facto count ?

The Australian Disability Pension will NOT be paid to you after you have been in Thailand 13 weeks and 1 minute.It gets worse to,for instance if you do not tell Centrelink you are leaving Australia for any reason,then they can suspend your pension and will cancel it if you do not reply to their letters.Most of the staff that you deal with in regard to the pension are quite pleasant,and are happy to help you.If you think that Centrelink will not catch you,think again.The minute your passport is processed the computer sends a message to their International Sevices Centre,and they will be watching your movements.My sister is on a DSP,and Centrelink were all over her when she came to my wedding...Some gentle talking to the officer in charge,and everything was ok.But she had to be home(Australia) within 3 months. http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/inte...s/temporary.htm http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/inte...t019_0807en.pdf

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know if this 13 week thing is 13 weeks in one year, or could one fly in and out at the 13 week interval and still retain their pension payments.

You may get away with this for a little while lioness........but after a period of time doing this you would be deemed a "non-resident" for centrelink payments and your payment would cease.

Once you are deemed a "non-resident" it then opens up the door for centrelink to recover previous payments made to you. That is if they backdate the decision (non-resident) to when you started your frequent departures / arrivals.

Once you get into this situation it becomes a minefield :o

I belive one TV member has been through this drama (cant remember who) and may shed further light.....

Does anyone know if this 13 week thing is 13 weeks in one year, or could one fly in and out at the 13 week interval and still retain their pension payments.

You may get away with this for a little while lioness........but after a period of time doing this you would be deemed a "non-resident" for centrelink payments and your payment would cease.

Once you are deemed a "non-resident" it then opens up the door for centrelink to recover previous payments made to you. That is if they backdate the decision (non-resident) to when you started your frequent departures / arrivals.

I belive one TV member has been through this drama (cant remember who) and may shed further light.....

I don't need to "get away with anything" as I am not on a pension. It was just a question, as I know of someone in this situation.

I don't need to "get away with anything" as I am not on a pension. It was just a question, as I know of someone in this situation.

Mate, and he was supposed to know that because?????

A lot of your posts have to do with a "friend" wants to know, don't they. You posted one a few days ago about "a friend of mine wants to know".

Why dont you let them do their own homework if you are going to be such a grouch//

lioness, if you had stated this in your post, I would have structured my reply accordingly.

Apologys for touching a nerve whilst trying to offer an answer to your question.

lioness, if you had stated this in your post, I would have structured my reply accordingly.

Apologys for touching a nerve whilst trying to offer an answer to your question.

Thai Chi,

He does not deserve an apology at all. He should have done the decent thing and thanked you for taking the time to reply.

""You may get away with this for a little while lioness........but after a period of time doing this you would be deemed a "non-resident" for centrelink payments and your payment would cease.

Once you are deemed a "non-resident" it then opens up the door for centrelink to recover previous payments made to you. That is if they backdate the decision (non-resident) to when you started your frequent departures / arrivals.""

Any idea on the length of time or the number of visits? A 'friend' of mine wants to know. :o

"Any idea on the length of time or the number of visits? A 'friend' of mine wants to know."

Krading, please dont quote me on this, but I am led to beleive that DSP recipients are looked at over a period of up to 2 years.

That is, their abscenses from Australia are compared to the time that is spent in Australia.

Frequent (reported) overseas trips may well "flag" you (oops, you friend :o )

Below is a quote from the Social Security Act 1991 - SECT 7 regarding the definition of an Australian resident that centrelink use to determine your continued eligibility.

(3) In deciding for the purposes of this Act whether or not a person is residing in Australia, regard must be had to:

(a) the nature of the accommodation used by the person in Australia; and

(:D the nature and extent of the family relationships the person has in Australia; and

© the nature and extent of the person's employment, business or financial ties with Australia; and

(d) the nature and extent of the person's assets located in Australia; and

(e) the frequency and duration of the person's travel outside Australia; and

(f) any other matter relevant to determining whether the person intends to remain permanently in Australia.

(4) For the purposes of:

(a) Part 2.2 (age pension); and

(:D Part 2.3 (disability support pension); and

(d) Part 2.7 (bereavement allowance); and

(e) Part 2.8 (widow B pension);

I have a house, car, super, grown up kids, grand kid and have worked all my life in Oz. The only thing the 'SS' could get me on is frequency and duration of travel. I only go over for the therapeutic massages. Honest to God :D Er, I meant my 'friend' :o