Pm Vows Funds For Samui Roads

I have ssen first hand the corruption in road building on Samui and Phangan, contracts are signed for a road of a certain thickness but what you end up with is a road half the proper thickness, due to improper gutters and drainage as soon as the next major rains come the water finds its way under the road and the road collaspes. The road to Haad Rin is notorious for this as well as the roads to Haad Yao, They then apply for more funding to fix the road and the contractors/politicians skim off the top of that as well, when are the local thais going to grow some balls.

I have ssen first hand the corruption in road building on Samui and Phangan, contracts are signed for a road of a certain thickness but what you end up with is a road half the proper thickness, due to improper gutters and drainage as soon as the next major rains come the water finds its way under the road and the road collaspes. The road to Haad Rin is notorious for this as well as the roads to Haad Yao, They then apply for more funding to fix the road and the contractors/politicians skim off the top of that as well, when are the local thais going to grow some balls.

But you are aware that too big a mouth can earn oneself a bullet or five around here!?! You want to go first?

But you are aware that too big a mouth can earn oneself a bullet or five around here!?! You want to go first?

It might not be a subtle comment but at least Maithai isn't frightened to speak out! A sorry state of affairs that you should live in such fear longtom. Anything else we shouldn't say for fear of being taken out and shot?

They had their chance to take me out many years ago, they tried, im still here, maybe im a bitter ex business owner,and maybe a bitter ex husband of a thai, and maybe a bitter father of a half thai kid that i have been left to bring up by myself, but i didnt hear you denying the facts, obviously you know something Longtom,but after reading the reports on the mercedes driving guy Mu Ham, the sons of chalerm, and other cases of sons of the rich and influential getting off various things must say im getting more dissillusioned with thai life as time goes by, and feeling like i never wish to go back again, but i will because Thailand is embedded in my heart and soul, sorry if i mentioned a taboo subject but i want my child to be proud of thailand and be safe if she or anyone wishes to travel or live here. If the amount of money that went to corruption was properly spent thailand would be a developed country instead of the mess it is and i fear will always be. All it needs is for thai people like you (i presume your thai) to stand up and be counted instead of accepting the way things are but i know im asking too much.

Will he be strong enough to fight the concrete mafia?

The big problem over here seems to be to get the "approved founds" turned into concrete from money, and then get that concrete true all the "filter fingers" on the way before finally end up on the roads. If they started of with a meter thikness there might be a possibility the roads get to 30 cm thiknessafter passing all the "filters" on the way. Alot of creative drivers found out how to sell half their truckload to private constructions. Thats probably one of the reasons why these concrete trucks drive in the speed of lightning around this island. They have a "sidetrack" to do on all their runs. Don´t really know what could be done to fix this problem either, it´s well established among the drivers and constructors by now, and probably it is big money involved in this buisness... :o .

The amount of tax money taken in over the past decade and not spent on really anything useful or productive for the island is shameful. Now we will have a drawn out low period due to the economic situation, and Samui will continue its cycle of not enough funds to take care of the problems. Compare to Phuket, Krabi, Bali, or any other established island and the situation is quite sad. So many unpaved "government" roads, lots more cars and motorbikes, it is really getting tiring to run the gauntlet every time you go out here.

It might not be a subtle comment but at least Maithai isn't frightened to speak out! A sorry state of affairs that you should live in such fear longtom. Anything else we shouldn't say for fear of being taken out and shot?

I just mentioned an argument that comes up when I talk with Thais about such things. It's easy to talk about 'growing balls' in your armchair. Ask the guy that was shot in Hua Hin recently.

promising and delivering are two different things,will believe it when i see it.On Samui we are talking about a corrupt administation with an island mentality(like we are far away and cannot be touched)Like was said before,phuket and krabi put samui to shame,and if i was a tourist i would not want to return to samui,when i can go to phuket or krabi.But the locals that appear to run Samui dont care,and why would they with the concrete scam they make so much money from.(my claims are unsubstantiated)but would seem evident by the state of the roads,compared to krabi and phuket.

It would be great to see tarmac roads on Samui, but as the Mayor of Samui/Surrat has control of the budget and owns the concrete company I can't see that happening any time soon

There is a new administration on Samui & I don't think the new mayor has interests in hotels or cement business.

The amount of tax money taken in over the past decade and not spent on really anything useful or productive for the island is shameful. Now we will have a drawn out low period due to the economic situation, and Samui will continue its cycle of not enough funds to take care of the problems. Compare to Phuket, Krabi, Bali, or any other established island and the situation is quite sad. So many unpaved "government" roads, lots more cars and motorbikes, it is really getting tiring to run the gauntlet every time you go out here.

Well the taxes went to Bangkok and back to Surat Thani,

which is earning nothing, but taking the lions share.

The during the Thaksin years he cut funding for democratic strong holds

that didn't vote TRT, so even less got sent back

But recently Samui made 50,00 'registered residents' and it's Municipality status changed

and now tax money can come DIRECTLY from Bkk and by passes Surat Thani prefecture.

So more coming back.

And add ;

the new mayoral regime seems more in tune. Less HiSo attitude,

and more working solutions to working problems.

And the new Democratic government seems to care.

More than could be said by ANY previous regime in several years.

Can't have a race horse win for you with cheap horseshoes.

Maybe Tessaban will have enough cash to actual rebuild properly.

I HAVE seen much more short term repairs happening the last month or two.

A good sign.

--------------------------

Reference this article

http://news.samuiexpress.net/local-list/39...amui-roads.html

Of course the Surat Thani Governor is taking a shot at keeping the works budget in HIS domain.

It has just been yanked away and that "huge funding" cut hit him hard...no doubt.

Thanee expressed concern that the transfer could do more harm than good to the current situation.

Road maintenance, he said, requires huge funding and he doubts if the municipality would have the money to do the job properly.

He proposed that instead of the municipality, the best agency to handle the maintenance and repair of Samui roads

is the provincial government of Suratthani.

The provincial government, according to him, has the experience and manpower to do he job.

Of course we all can presently DRIVE on the results of the

Surat Thani Provincial Roadworks Department's version of experience.

Worst roads in Thailand that I have seen.

These are the guys doing the roads now... oops.

Wonder why it's been transfered away????

Edited by animatic

It would be great to see tarmac roads on Samui, but as the Mayor of Samui/Surrat has control of the budget and owns the concrete company I can't see that happening any time soon

Well, You must go to Nathong then... This morning I've seen in front of the Seatran Pier they started to make tarmac road between the junction and the small bridge. That road was terrible before.

First I didn't beleive my eyes :o

I hope they don't stop coming and fix the bloody roads around the island...

Someone said there will be more accidents regarding the new road, it wouldn't be possible if the police do regular or random speed control and driving license checks...

• 2 weeks later...

They made the whole road in nathong on the beachside from the temple to the 7/11, hard to beleive the Ice Company paid for all, i think its paid by the government and its a public road. I wish the same conditions from maenam to lamai inculding bangrak, chaweng, bophut if they serious how to keep the island safe and visitor friendly.

Also I don't understand why some people just clean around their houses (respect who do it) and the island would be much nicer and could attract more recurring visitors.

Regarding the road issue at the moment just smokey cars without license plates, kids on motorbike without helmet and driving license, terrible roads, dirt and bad smells and the lack of walkpaths, recreation public parks, places making the things much worse.

However can see some constructive changes from the new administration they started to clean the roads and mock-up the chaweng lake area too. Thats a good sign some also nice people clean the beach as a public effort for free.

I think must be much better if the current administration schedule a recurring meeting with business owners (farang & thai) and local people to discuss the problems how can make the things better. Maybe they should make a Samui Foundation to attract the challenges together with the government.

Not everything about money, sometimes its just some education, responsible administration and future thinking, hopefully we going on a good way regarding to Samui's future...

Not everything about money, sometimes its just some education, responsible administration and future thinking, hopefully we going on a good way regarding to Samui's future...

i wish it wasnt, but it is.... in every rank and every goverment office in Samui :o