Police At Checkpoints Just Wave Them Through!

Syl

Not required by law, just as in lots of countries taxi drivers are (or used to be) exempt from wearing seat belts because they have to get in and out of the car a lot.

Actually exempt in the UK. Its so the taxi driver (Hackney only ) is not restrained in the event of trouble.Belts have being used to choke drivers in attacks!

it is my understanding that the law says the people in the front have to have a seatbelt and the people in the back of a car do not. Again this is for cars not sure about tuktuk laws...

Another very good reason they just wave them through is image... Thai police already have a bad image, can you imagine if every tuk tuk with tourists was stopped so they could check for seatbelts or what ever? the outlash of tourists on their blogs would be bad for business....

In Pattaya it is illegal to not wear a crash helmet (or something resembling one - builders hat ie.) on market days. However very young children either being carried or driving themselves are exempt - because they have no money!

It is illegal to not wear a helmet EVERY day! If they are that young they shouldn't be riding anyway - my Thai friends' young son (14) was delivered home by the police and she had to go and collect motorbike and pay the fine at the police station.

In Pattaya it is illegal to not wear a crash helmet (or something resembling one - builders hat ie.) on market days. However very young children either being carried or driving themselves are exempt - because they have no money!

It is illegal to not wear a helmet EVERY day! If they are that young they shouldn't be riding anyway - my Thai friends' young son (14) was delivered home by the police and she had to go and collect motorbike and pay the fine at the police station.

Perhaps you may wish to inform the police then. As I can say without fear of contradiction that I see almost every day - except market days - children riding motorcycles in full view of the police.