What Are The Internet Options Other Than Tt&t And Tot?

heybruce

I realize the answer is probably scattered around this forum, but perhaps someone can summarize it here: What are the internet options in Chiang Mai?

I had reasonable service with Maxnet at City View (after I switched to a plan with a lower contention ratio), but had to change to TOT when I moved to Hillside 3. TOT is useless--sometimes I can't connect at all, or if I can connect I can't stay connected. When I can stay connected the speed is very slow. For some reason TT&T can't provide service here. Is True cable internet accepting customers? Is the fact that my cable quality is poor a problem? What is the cost/speed/reliability of internet using mobile phones? Is there a plan that does not limit the time or data downloads? Are there other options I haven't thought of? Any information is appreciated.

This may interest you.

Ive been using a satellite dish for internet for the last 2 years...speed varied from 28 -54 and usualy arround 38....acceptable but at 4,000Baht/month expensive.

I ve just installed a gizmo from CAT....UBS connection and about as big as a plastic lighter.

Just plugged it in and ...internet connected at speeds from 560-1060.

Cost was 8250 baht and will be 800 baht/month. Unlimited access 7/24/365.

The CAT guys came round to demonstrate it and delivered my unit the next day.

So....no dish....no cables....no landline.....cant be bad. Its totaly mobile.

I live out near Hang Dong and reception is good...I guess in the city the speeds will be higher but 500-1000 is fine for me.

I realize the answer is probably scattered around this forum, but perhaps someone can summarize it here: What are the internet options in Chiang Mai?

I had reasonable service with Maxnet at City View (after I switched to a plan with a lower contention ratio), but had to change to TOT when I moved to Hillside 3. TOT is useless--sometimes I can't connect at all, or if I can connect I can't stay connected. When I can stay connected the speed is very slow. For some reason TT&T can't provide service here. Is True cable internet accepting customers? Is the fact that my cable quality is poor a problem? What is the cost/speed/reliability of internet using mobile phones? Is there a plan that does not limit the time or data downloads? Are there other options I haven't thought of? Any information is appreciated.

This may interest you.

Ive been using a satellite dish for internet for the last 2 years...speed varied from 28 -54 and usualy arround 38....acceptable but at 4,000Baht/month expensive.

I ve just installed a gizmo from CAT....UBS connection and about as big as a plastic lighter.

I live out near Hang Dong and reception is good...I guess in the city the speeds will be higher but 500-1000 is fine for me.

I appreciate the info. I went by the CAT office and now I'm trying to decide between a standard 4MB ADSL line shared with 20 customers for 1000B/month, a Premium 2MB line that is shared with 5 customers and is supposed to have better data transfer overseas for 1900B/month, or this wireless option that is 800B/month after the initial 8250B investment. How long have you been using the wireless and has the connection glitch free?

This may interest you.

I appreciate the info. I went by the CAT office and now I'm trying to decide between a standard 4MB ADSL line shared with 20 customers for 1000B/month, a Premium 2MB line that is shared with 5 customers and is supposed to have better data transfer overseas for 1900B/month, or this wireless option that is 800B/month after the initial 8250B investment. How long have you been using the wireless and has the connection glitch free?

Have been using it 3 days now.....fingers crossed....no troubles to date.

Where I live there was no chance of any landlines from anyone and,for me,this CAT device is OK and is saving me 3300 baht/month.

The TOT Experience

I installed TOT (free modem, one year obligation) 590 package at 2mb. It was ok but kind of slow as all my freinds i spoke to had no problem watching YOutube or downloading things at good speeds. I changed to their 4mb package and now it's crap. Pages don't come, it's turn off all the time, have to reboot modem but then it just does it again, still can't watch Youtube or stream anything, downloads are rubbish.

First time i asked the technician to coem round he just didn't up at the proposed time. I had to go home from work to meet him. Second time he came an hour late, looked at my modem, checked speed, said it was ok and left. He was there while it was working for once. That's all he did.

I don't even feel like paying for this mess. Friends i know with TTnT are fairly happy and recieve much better service than i do. I think if i change i have to pay a fine.

I don't have enough money to pay more than 1.500 baht a month, to me that seems adequate.

hmm, no idea what to do.

• 2 weeks later...

My latest status:

I went to the CAT office at Airport Plaza (third floor near the entrance to Robinsons) and signed up for their Skynet service. A technician had already demonstrated it for me in my room using the 8200 baht modem and it worked pretty well. Unfortunately I let them talk me into the 10900 baht modem, which was crap. It started off slow and tapered off from there. After a couple of hours of use it heated up and either quit entirely or dropped below 1kbps. I returned it two days later and after some resistance (and a demo in the office showing the modem worked perfecty, of course) I was able to exchange if for the 8200 baht modem. That one works adequately, download speeds are typically between 10 and 20 kbps, but I occasionally get several times that. While I am not far from the CAT transmitting tower, I am on the second floor of a tall building facing away from the transmitter, and surrounded by other tall buildings, so I'm am in a signal shadow. I haven't taken the notebook out for a road trip yet.

I still have TOT ADSL, though I switched from the 4Mbps package to the 1 Mbps package. It has worked reasonably well for about five days, though I never know how well it will work from one day to the next. On Saturday I was getting less than 2kbps, then on Sunday over 100. I haven't had the disconnect and no connection problems I did initially, but I won't be surprised if/when they return. During one of my phone calls to customer service the lady admitted that TOT had a problem with internet service to all phone lines with numbers beginning with 053, which I assume includes the Nimmanhamin area.

In summary: CAT skynet is adequate if you don't need blazing speed and get the 8200 baht modem. Do not get the 10900 baht modem, which they will push agressively when you sign up.

If your only phone line option is TOT with a 053 number, look for other internet options. A friend of mine advises avoiding all things TOT entirely, but apparently some people feel they are getting reasonable service.

i wauld go with truemove everyone is going to true now

I had TOT cybergold for 6 months when i moved to Chiang Mai. I had nothing but problems with my service constantly going off about 5 times per day.

Changed to KSC - now i have no problems, the service is stable and reliable (on TOT phone line). It's twice the price though.