A Moment Of Human Connectedness

ukme

On my last trip to Thailand back in April 2005. I still remember the experience to this day. I was riding in a Tuk Tuk just outside of Udonthani, the driver didn't speak a word of English (nor do I speak Thai), he had a smiling, happy, face and gave off vibes of genuine warmth and goodwill. Although we couldn't communicate by tounge we hit it off right away, I seemed to arouse his curiosity - more than likely because I'm a Farang. We were both laughing our head's off at our inability to communicate.

We stopped in a small market place where there were several other Tuk Tuk drivers outside whom he seemed to know, they all wandered over equally curious, again laughs all round. This was out in the middle of now where but I didn't feel the least bit intimidated or scared, I just don't think they'd seen too many farangs in those parts!

I bought some fruit and water. The driver then took me by the arm, through the crowds in the marketplace(who were all staring too) to a Buddist Shrine of some sort. He lit a burning candle for the both of us and motioned me to kneel down beside him. We stayed in this position for a few minutes in silence. I looked at him and he returned my glance with a genuine look of affection and compassion. I felt a lump in my throat and I fought back tears - It was an incredible moment, probably the most profound feeling of connectedness that I have ever felt with another Human Being.

I'm not entirely sure what happened that afternoon, I just thought I'd share the experience. I guess it proves what we are capable of when we dump all the crap. That Guy had "SOMETING" a lot of people could use.

I was 29 years at the time. Male, Uk

I had some of the same experience when a stumbled by accident on a Santi Asoke monastery in Paisalee. The community was just eating together with the monks; Nobody could talk English, only one monk a little bit. They invited me to eat with them. They offered me a banana and tried to teach me the Thai word for. I was really embarrassed because I knew that I would use the wrong pronounce and give the word a not so nice different meaning. So I tried everything to avoid speak out the word. At the end I must do, I never forget their reaction. They not even smiled or be upset. They did all they could to teach me the right pronounce, pretending they didn't hear the F word.

I spend all day their, never in my life I saw and experienced such a warmth and kindness.

At the end of the day I tried to give them some envelop for the monastery, they kindly refused it, even after I insisted a few times and pretend to forget to pick up it up again, they always put the envelop back in my hands.

The monk who talk English told me, we don't need money, we have all we need.

This was 15 years ago and I still feel warm when I think of it

On my last trip to Thailand back in April 2005. I still remember the experience to this day. I was riding in a Tuk Tuk just outside of Udonthani, the driver didn't speak a word of English (nor do I speak Thai), he had a smiling, happy, face and gave off vibes of genuine warmth and goodwill. Although we couldn't communicate by tounge we hit it off right away, I seemed to arouse his curiosity - more than likely because I'm a Farang. We were both laughing our head's off at our inability to communicate.

We stopped in a small market place where there were several other Tuk Tuk drivers outside whom he seemed to know, they all wandered over equally curious, again laughs all round. This was out in the middle of now where but I didn't feel the least bit intimidated or scared, I just don't think they'd seen too many farangs in those parts!

I bought some fruit and water. The driver then took me by the arm, through the crowds in the marketplace(who were all staring too) to a Buddist Shrine of some sort. He lit a burning candle for the both of us and motioned me to kneel down beside him. We stayed in this position for a few minutes in silence. I looked at him and he returned my glance with a genuine look of affection and compassion. I felt a lump in my throat and I fought back tears - It was an incredible moment, probably the most profound feeling of connectedness that I have ever felt with another Human Being.

I'm not entirely sure what happened that afternoon, I just thought I'd share the experience. I guess it proves what we are capable of when we dump all the crap. That Guy had "SOMETING" a lot of people could use.

Maybe your flies were undone?

I have forgotten what % we can quote of news stories. (First few lines ? First para?). BKK Post currently has a story worth reading, I think.

The power of LOVE

For writer Pramuan Pengchan, love and marriage can be the gateway for a noble life of Buddhist practice

Without his wife, Pramuan Pengchan said he could not have made his historical and spiritual quest _ a 1,200km walk from Chiang Mai to his hometown Samui _ which he turned into the best-selling book, A Walk to Freedom.

''Without her understanding, I could not have pursued this project,'' said the former professor of philosophy who retired early, at the age of 51, to embark on his pilgrimage. ''Each step I walked, my wife was with me. We did this together,'' said the tan-skinned man, his shoulder length hair tied at the back _ a visual reminder of a recent pilgrimage to India.

(c'td at bangkokpost.com/leisure/leisurescoop/10512/the-power-of-love)

Why were you in Udon Thani with no Thai language skills? You are associating the buzz of sleeping with an attractive partner with the other experiences that happened around the same time.

How much did you pay the tuk tuk driver? That will be SOMETHING he remembers?

The cynical, bitter and twisted element infiltrate a feel good thread.

Surprise surprise. :o

That's twice tonight I've nearly fell off my chair laughing. Thanks. :D

BTW the other one's in the "Thailand to borrow 270 million Baht" thread. You'll know it when you reach it.

We so often get back what we give out..maybe your positive vibe caused this.

He sounds like a genuinely nice man, of which there are so many here.Years ago I was protesting a political issue. An old military type came up and was very insulting.

Calling me this and that...I was only young at the time and it surprised me.

As he walked away I saw something drop from his coat as he entered a taxi.

It was his wallet! full of cash and his home address.

As it was close to my parents house I decided to drop it in to him on my way there.You should of seen his face as I rang his bell!

" what do you want'? he demanded.

When he understood what I was doing he completely changed as though an epitome had taken place.I thought he was going to cry as he clutched at my hand he whispered ' I am sorry.."

He suddenly showed that goodness that deep down in us we all have, the same type you saw

?

Edited by Geekfreaklover

Could you have just been involved in a gay marriage? :o:D :D

John.....

I have forgotten what % we can quote of news stories. (First few lines ? First para?). BKK Post currently has a story worth reading, I think.

The power of LOVE

For writer Pramuan Pengchan, love and marriage can be the gateway for a noble life of Buddhist practice

Without his wife, Pramuan Pengchan said he could not have made his historical and spiritual quest _ a 1,200km walk from Chiang Mai to his hometown Samui _ which he turned into the best-selling book, A Walk to Freedom.

''Without her understanding, I could not have pursued this project,'' said the former professor of philosophy who retired early, at the age of 51, to embark on his pilgrimage. ''Each step I walked, my wife was with me. We did this together,'' said the tan-skinned man, his shoulder length hair tied at the back _ a visual reminder of a recent pilgrimage to India.

(c'td at bangkokpost.com/leisure/leisurescoop/10512/the-power-of-love)

Very impressive. Can't knock the ability to walk on water.

GF "CAC" L.

Geek Freak "Cynical as charged" Lover :o

Could you have just been involved in a gay marriage? :o:D:D

John.....

Man thanks for the good laugh.... Its been a while!

Could you have just been involved in a gay marriage? :o:D:D

John.....

Crikey that was good.

It's the "lump in the throat and tears in the eyes part" that made the post perfect.

Thanks people.

Edited by Geekfreaklover