Thailand Car Rental ?

safesurfer65

Hi

Im arriving in Bangkok with my family in April and in need of a Minibus type vehicle (Toyota Hiace).

I've checked Budget and they have one available for 28,500 baht (2 weeks).

There a sticky above in this forum with a link saying I can get the same Toyota for 343 GBP

with Thai Rent a Car, now thats a lot cheaper than Budget.

So cheap it worries me, anyone had any experience booking a car with them ?

Thanks

Mark

Hi

Im arriving in Bangkok with my family in April and in need of a Minibus type vehicle (Toyota Hiace).

There a sticky above in this forum with a link saying I can get the same Toyota for 343 GBP

Thanks

Mark

I always rent from them.

Once, Honda Jazz was 1000B per day, upon pickup at the airport I asked their delivery guy how about extending the rental for 3 more days, he called his office and quoted me 2200B per day. He said I should contact back ThaiVisa rentals if I want that same low price.

Looks they have no cars themselves but act as brokers for others. According to their emails they could be UK based.

Last time I needed Toyota Vigo with tray canopy, they could provide only open tray (a disater if moving house and get caught in September downpour).

But they got one from Budget at a bit higher (330GBP for 13 days) but still considerably lower price than Budget directly.

How it works, it's up to them, I don't see anyone being exploited. Could be a loophole in how the rental is categorized or they buy capacity at wholesale prices, like travel agencies do with hotel rooms.

A small renter and a friend (Q-cars, now out of business) told me that big names (Avis, Budget, Hertz) bleed through francshize fees, that's why their prices are more than double than local car rental companies. Local lower prices are what it actually should be, he was making reasonable money.

For me, the car was always there, in good condition and clean. Six times so far.

Hi

Thanks

Mark

HI Mark

I Have used them twice now the first time all good the second time had to wait about hour at the airport from them to meet me but when he got there i had book a Honda Accord and got a Toyota Camry which seem to be better then a Accord and the price i paid was about £20 a Day as i booked it with a uk site the only fault i have with them was that when i got the car it only had 3/4 of a tank of fuel and when i returned it it was full but there would not refund me the 1/4 of a tank but apart from that i we use again if the price is right.

Mark

Cheers guys

Appreciate you responding.

Looks like I'll have to cancel my booking with Budget.

Nice one

Mark

Try fastcarhire.co.uk

311 GBP using Thai rent a car(shows as in demand with small excess) and 370 GBP using Budget.(available-no excess).

I have used fastcarhire and both Budget and Thai rent a car,all on more than one occasion- no problems with any of them.

I have used Thai RentaCar several times. Their service is excellent, and the vehicles are good quality and relatively low mileage - once I had a brand new car with red plates.

There is a saving to be made by booking them through the ThaiVisa link on the motoring section of this forum. I have a current booking for 3 weeks from the end of March. The direct quote from Rentacar was 23,100baht (say £462 @ £1= 50baht). The quote via ThaiVisa for the same vehicle from the same company was £367.

Having accepted this quote, I paid a deposit of £57 to the ThaiVisa agency, and the balance is to be paid to Thairentacar on collection. This 15000 and something baht (don't have the exact amount to hand).

Obviously the agency has passed the risk on the exchange rate to me, having taken their cut, and the final amount may well exceed £367, but it's likely to be less than the booking direct with the company.

I did it this way last time, there were no problems and the service from the company was just as good.