What Is The Most Practical Car For You?

snowflake

The topic here is "Most Practical Car For You?"......

NONE.

If it was 2 cars, my choices in Bangkok would be:

CRV and Jazz.

CRV for being able to carry loads as well as passengers in Comfort and holds a good safety rating in the USA and Europe.

Jazz for being fuel efficient and easy to maneuver in the city.

dd you walk or swim to Thailand or take a Plane ?

Sailed. On a sailing boat. With the wind. For free.

Back on topic. The OP said he drives alone mostly, in towns, or along the highway from one town to another town and specifically said he never goes off road. His friend was saying he should get a Vigo instead of the Jazz the OP currently drives.

IMHO i stay stick with the Jazz. It's absolutely ideal for driving mostly alone in towns or from one town to the other. Really. It truly is !

I live in Phuket. A rather large percentage of people who drive pick-ups or large SUV's here drive around town with less than a full complement of passengers. Why is that? Why do people who drive in town, dont regularly haul large items or carry the extended family in the back, drive 3 litre diesel vehicles? Is it because baht for baht, you get a bigger car for the price? Is it kudos? Who knows.

I'm just trying to make the point that we are all supposed to be doing our bit for the environment. If we all sat down and thought about what personal vehicle we truly needed, then i m sure many pick-up drivers and suv drivers would trade down to a more realistic car.

Like i said before, if you live up country, regularly drive off road, or haul bulky stuff, then of course, you can justify a pick up truck etc. But pootling around the narrow and congested streets of a town? Nah. Get a Jazz!

And when you're 300NM from shore and run out of sailboat fuel, and have to make landfall within a certain timeframe, do you fire up the diesel or just get out the oars?

Just kidding... Anyway, I've got a new 2.5L Diesel Vigo 4-door. Put a deck lid over the back. It's classified as a saloon, with lower taxes. And somewhere between once a week and once a month I've either got the deck close to full or the lid is all the way up cuz it's overfull. As for fuel economy, it's 50% better than my 94 Honda Magna V-4....motorcycle. Which doesn't carry a whole lot of people or cargo. So relatively speaking, yeah, I'm doing my part - by not riding the Honda!

Pick ups are good, no doubt about that but still I prefer my jazz...

I like the looks of the first triton, not the new one and if I ever move out of this city I will probably get myself something with a bit more ground clearance... The jazz aint good in the bush! (Been there and tested that)...

For now, as long as I stay in town,,, Jazz it is, or another car... Still like the camry alot...

I have noticed that several posts state that driving a pickup rather than a car uses more fuel. That's not always true. My three liter Nissan diesel uses less fuel than my 1.8 liter car especially on short trips.

I sold my Honda Civic for 300,000B that could barely make it over the mountain from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai providing you turned the air condition off bought a 1986 BMW 316i which has more features than a new Honda Civic and it is made of steel rather than roll steel for 85,000B and have been driving it for 3 years with no problems other than a missing bolt from my alternator that cost me 50B to replace. I always owned BMW's in the USA but my wife talked me into a Honda here telling me they were cheaper to fix which was true; I only had to fix it 14 times in 2 years for the bargain price of about 10,000 each time! When I bought the BMW the Thai people told me it will cost too much to fix and I recalled THEY DON'T BREAK on a regular basis!

So, for my money it is an old BMW every time. I have owned 8 BMW's 6, 3 series and 2, 7 series all of the cars were built between 1983 and 1988 and I never had a major problem with them I actually still have 3 of the cars in the USA. I bought a new 740IL in 1996 that had nothing but problems but it was made in the USA and the other 7 cars were built in Germany...