What Is The Most Practical Car For You?

snowflake

Over the last few years I have talked with my friends over and over again about the practicality of our cars...

One friend keeps insisting that the pick up is the most practical thing here in Thailand. (Roads are not good/the new fridge is to large for a car/ the motorbike he smashed up can fit in the back)...

I keep saying that a car is more than enough for me, I drive alone (most of the time) and I drive in town most of the time, if not I am on the highway to another town (I do not go offroad)...

We usually go the same places, he drives his Vigo and I drive my Jazz. What do you think is the most practical thing on the road. Please feel free to throw inn other cars as well, but no Lambo's (we know that they are the most practical things in the world...

Over the last few years I have talked with my friends over and over again about the practicality of our cars...

One friend keeps insisting that the pick up is the most practical thing here in Thailand. (Roads are not good/the new fridge is to large for a car/ the motorbike he smashed up can fit in the back)...

I keep saying that a car is more than enough for me, I drive alone (most of the time) and I drive in town most of the time, if not I am on the highway to another town (I do not go offroad)...

We usually go the same places, he drives his Vigo and I drive my Jazz. What do you think is the most practical thing on the road. Please feel free to throw inn other cars as well, but no Lambo's (we know that they are the most practical things in the world...

It's almost impossible to answer the question on behalf of everyone. It's down to personal choice.

People keep saying that the roads are not that good. I think in the main, that isnt true. The main roads in Phuket are fine. Some of the smaller soi's are unsurfaced, but if you dont drive on them very often then it doesnt really matter. (Roads in the UK have water/drains/electric etc UNDER the road, so every time it's dug up, they patch the road. Here in Thailand the utilities are at the side or above the road, hence, very little patching of the road surface)

The old chestnut about having the convenience of a pick up 'in case i have to move a fridge or a motorbike' just doesnt wash. Really, how often do you do these things? You can hire a pick-up for 500b half day/1000b full day. If you only move your fridge once a year then just hire a pick up. The money you save every week on fuel will more than pay for the once or twice a year rental of a pick up.

The reality is...........we should be trying to save the environment a little. Buy the most economical car that is fine for you. As you say, you drive mostly alone and mostly locally. A pick-up is NOT the right vehicle for you, and your Jazz certainly is.

Parking in Phuket is not easy. Get a small car - make life easier for yourself.

How anyone can justify a 3litre pick up for piddling around all year in, on the basis of occasionally having to move a large item, is beyond me!

Also depends on what you can buy...... Re the UK it is the van man......... Thailand its the pickup man.. or the pickup SUV

Myself have a car and a pickup with canopy, the pickup is always half full with auto parts/spares/samples.. If there was a choose here then a panel van for the same price 638k new would be a much better option.. So what options are there? an imported Toyota Hiace Panel Van ? The MB Vito Panel Van? in Thailand way more than a top model pickup.

Most Thais like a car to have 4 doors and a boot [myself hate that, hatch back for me every time]

People with a pickup NOT for work, say they can carry everything they want as well as taking the extended family's + theirs the price.

It's almost impossible to answer the question on behalf of everyone. It's down to personal choice.
And what you consider safe to drive on Thai roads, for me visibility is very important - both seeing other road users and being seen.

Is 'practical' measured by ease or cost of service & repair or a color that doesn't need to be washed every third day?

If so everyone would drive silver Toyotas - oh! they do!

A Practical car for me would be something like a Suzuki SX4, or the Ignis, 1,6 Auto, there 2WD but look like a small 4WD but there not sold here...

If they were they would be double the price of a Honda Jazz..!

I think pickup trucks are most practical. They are cheap and very low maintenance. 4dr versions also have much space and can fit many people. They are also cheaper to insure, repair, fix, and are much safer than the sub-compacts. The spare parts are also more available and cheaper.

However they are a pain if you live in BKK because of the parking.

For me I would use the VIGO. However if my wife wants to drive I would have to pick a sub compact for her like a a JAZZ. Its just easier for a new driver to drive a smaller car.

I live upcountry and have a pickup and a car. The car sits too low and drags bottom in many places. High curbs are also a big problem. A week ago I went from Loei to Jomtien and had the misfortune to hit a dog on the tollway. That resulted in a broken grill and a badly bent air conditioner condenser. This will be the last car I will ever own here in Thailand.

I think pickup trucks are most practical. ............... and are much safer than the sub-compacts.

A popular myth.

But they just arent.

Honda Jazz NCAP rating http://www.euroncap.com/tests/honda_jazz_2004/188.aspx

25 + 31 + 19

Isuzu D-Max http://www.euroncap.com/tests/isuzu_dmax_rodeo/316.aspx

17 + 22 + 2

The first number is how safe it is to adults. Second number is how safe it is for kids. The third and final number is how safe it is when it hits a pedestrian.

In towns and cities, a pick up is a pain in the ass. They are NOT as safe as a sub-compact car. If everyone rides a pick-up, how can being higher up improve visibility? Everyone is now at the same level !

They are bigger, noisier and are more harmful to the environment, it's occupants and pedestrians.

Get a car for every day. Hire a pick up when you need to move lots of stuff/people.

Clearly if you live upcountry it's different.

In towns and cities, a pick up is a pain in the ass. They are NOT as safe as a sub-compact car.

Oh no, not another safety debate.

Unlike NCAP ratings, in real world cars collide with each other and 1,8 ton Vigo will simply flatten 950kg Vios when they meet. Maybe sub compacts are structurally clever, but the brutal physics of hitting an object twice your weight means you get to absorb twice as much force. Size matters.

In towns and cities, a pick up is a pain in the ass. They are NOT as safe as a sub-compact car.

Oh no, not another safety debate.

Unlike NCAP ratings, in real world cars collide with each other and 1,8 ton Vigo will simply flatten 950kg Vios when they meet. Maybe sub compacts are structurally clever, but the brutal physics of hitting an object twice your weight means you get to absorb twice as much force. Size matters.

Not always true, a few months back on TV, 5th Gear crashed a 4X4 Landrover Discovery in to a Renault people carrier.. shock results the people in the Dicovery would have been dead or badly injured, the people in the MPV would have walked away bruised

They also did a test with the baby 'Smart' hit a barrier head on at 70mph, stunned you could still open the doors the passenger area had not crumpled at all

Edited by ignis

i can't prove which is safer, but safety is a good argument against plain out economical practicality, and while i like the jazz a lot, it seems hard to argue that you wouldnt be safer in a pajero sport or fortuner. if your up high in an suv and a car hits you, it'd most likey be lower than where your legs are. if u are in a jazz you cant be above the impact.

this is just a scenario and of course there other aspects to any collision, but i am making the point that there are other considerations than just fuel bills.

Do European safety factors apply in Thailand ?

Bullbars on pickups? Aftermarket forward facing red lights within the drivinglight cluster? In dash TV screens with DVD players? Emissions control? Common Sense road safety for those on two wheels or feet? Use of helmets not strapped on or left in the front basket of most motorbikes.

It is probably callous but the third measure of safety to other road users is not a high priority for many owners of any car, would you really choose make X rather than Y based on that factor?

I agree crumple zones give better protection than a rock hard sub frame - however the greatest safety feature of any vehicle is the 'nut' behind the wheel.

Drive to the conditions in question, whether that be BKK city center or rural mud tracks.

Size matters.

So by that rationale, in 10 years time, everyone is driving an SUV or a pick-up because of perceived improvements in being high up and being able to see more. Except now you cant see in front of the SUV in front.

So everyone goes monster-truck and fits huge wheels and higher suspension to see over the SUV in front.

10 years after that, we're all driving around in Mack trucks............

People are buying pick ups because they are taxed as agricultural vehicles and are cheaper than normal cars. Baht for Baht, you get more metal for your money.

Forget that they handle and accelerate like <deleted>. Or that they return poor miles per gallon.

Forget the environment.

Forget the impact on pedestrians.

Forget about the amount of road space they take up.

Forget about how hard they are to park.

Cos size matters ! Laydeez - look how cool i am. Wanna see how big my dif is........

Bigger aint better nor is it safer.

Do your bit to save the planet. Be part of the solution, not adding to the problem. Buy the most economical car that suits your needs. If you're a farmer - buy a truck.

If you just pootle about the locality - buy a modest car.

Bigger aint better nor is it safer.

Of course it isn't Mark, I'd much rather be in a smaller motor to save the enviroment, dd you walk or swim to Thailand or take a Plane ?

post-4007-1233573337_thumb.jpg

Yep, bigger ain't better, cos Mark says so....... :o

I would add that if I lived in a City, I'd have a city car for sure.

But I don't, so I don't have a City car.

Edited by Maigo6

My observation is the front pages of Thai newspapers lot of pictures of well mangled pickups and corpses not many of cars in the same condition, they are driven by the same profile drivers -2 arms, 2 legs, head including some sort of brain function, doing the same type driving. I can only think that less cars because when they get into extreme danger situations the better dynamics allow the driver to avoid potentionally fatal impacts or reduce them to a degree that its not worth a picture.

My observation is the front pages of Thai newspapers lot of pictures of well mangled pickups and corpses not many of cars in the same condition, they are driven by the same profile drivers -2 arms, 2 legs, head including some sort of brain function, doing the same type driving. I can only think that less cars because when they get into extreme danger situations the better dynamics allow the driver to avoid potentionally fatal impacts or reduce them to a degree that its not worth a picture.

Yep, I bet many Thai people would love to have the money to buy a really safe car, but they ain't made in Thailand so people make do with what they have got.

4 Million Baht on a Volvo, or 7 Million on a BMW or 10 Million on a Benz, you think people wouldn't like one ? Of course they would, but 99.9% of the population can't afford that price, including me.

I'm in Tokyo, I just went to the supermarket and saw a 2005 BMW X5 4.8 litre top of the range with moonroof the works in immaculate condition, 4.2 Million Yen asking price, probably get it for the equivilant of 1.2 million Baht. :o Pisses me off when I see the prices second hand cars are in Japan compared with Thailand......

Thailands crazy car prices force pick ups onto the road unless you want a small city car, plus up country people do actually use pick ups for a reason.

You live in Bkk and don't have to haul gear around and don't have 15 people to take out on a trip, get a city car, it makes sense.

But for me, ask me to swap my Fortuner for a Honda Jazz, not a chance, nothing against the Jazz in fact I like them and would have a Jazz or a Honda City if I lived in a city all the time.

Edited by Maigo6

dd you walk or swim to Thailand or take a Plane ?

Sailed. On a sailing boat. With the wind. For free.

Back on topic. The OP said he drives alone mostly, in towns, or along the highway from one town to another town and specifically said he never goes off road. His friend was saying he should get a Vigo instead of the Jazz the OP currently drives.

IMHO i stay stick with the Jazz. It's absolutely ideal for driving mostly alone in towns or from one town to the other. Really. It truly is !

I live in Phuket. A rather large percentage of people who drive pick-ups or large SUV's here drive around town with less than a full complement of passengers. Why is that? Why do people who drive in town, dont regularly haul large items or carry the extended family in the back, drive 3 litre diesel vehicles? Is it because baht for baht, you get a bigger car for the price? Is it kudos? Who knows.

I'm just trying to make the point that we are all supposed to be doing our bit for the environment. If we all sat down and thought about what personal vehicle we truly needed, then i m sure many pick-up drivers and suv drivers would trade down to a more realistic car.

Like i said before, if you live up country, regularly drive off road, or haul bulky stuff, then of course, you can justify a pick up truck etc. But pootling around the narrow and congested streets of a town? Nah. Get a Jazz!

Yep, I bet many Thai people would love to have the money to buy a really safe car, but they ain't made in Thailand so people make do with what they have got.

4 Million Baht on a Volvo, or 7 Million on a BMW or 10 Million on a Benz, you think people wouldn't like one ? Of course they would, but 99.9% of the population can't afford that price, including me.

I'm in Tokyo, I just went to the supermarket and saw a 2005 BMW X5 4.8 litre top of the range with moonroof the works in immaculate condition, 4.2 Million Yen asking price, probably get it for the equivilant of 1.2 million Baht. :o Pisses me off when I see the prices second hand cars are in Japan compared with Thailand......

Thailands crazy car prices force pick ups onto the road unless you want a small city car, plus up country people do actually use pick ups for a reason.

You live in Bkk and don't have to haul gear around and don't have 15 people to take out on a trip, get a city car, it makes sense.

But for me, ask me to swap my Fortuner for a Honda Jazz, not a chance, nothing against the Jazz in fact I like them and would have a Jazz or a Honda City if I lived in a city all the time.

So why don't these not really safe cars feature more in tabloids and not the obviously even more unsafe pickups , all still driven by the same competence of driver, lots of cars out in the countryside you make it sound as if they don't exist outside the boundarys of BKK.

I dont know how safe the vigo is compared to the Jazz - but I do know that driving around town in a jazz is far better and easier than farting around in a 4wd pick up... I did have a Triton a few years back, and a Vigo 2wd, but I never used the pick up bed (unless I was on a school camp - 30 students in the back)

I think a car is better for my use, for other people, the pick up might be the best option. ( I do like the fortuners and I almost bought a CRV when I picked up the jazz) but no, I like the easyness of the whole car... and I can fit more stuff in it that most of the SUV's out there...

Two weeks ago I went on a camp with my school.. Two brand new Pajero sports and my jazz. They filled the pajeros up with 5 people plus driver and luaggage... I filled my jazz up with 4 white men and a little Thai woman, luagge and food for all 60 students and teachers... and the game box... Still had space for more...

So by that rationale, in 10 years time, everyone is driving an SUV or a pick-up because of perceived improvements in being high up and being able to see more. Except now you cant see in front of the SUV in front.
I would suggest that 10 years ago there were less SUV/trucks in use, so yes, over such a time period people with money will 'upgrade'.
I'm just trying to make the point that we are all supposed to be doing our bit for the environment... ...narrow and congested streets of a town? Nah. Get a Jazz!
Walk, bus, BTS etc.

It's too hot + I'm going shopping = take the car.

....and a Vigo 2wd, but I never used the pick up bed (unless I was on a school camp - 30 students in the back)
...in which case the vehicle's insurance will not cover any passengers that are sitting/standing in the load space of the pick up truck in the event of an accident.

Does your insurance cover you for using personal vehicles for work trips?

I saw a pickup with people in the back roll over a few years ago - due to Songkran DUI - wasn't pretty.

lots of cars out in the countryside you make it sound as if they don't exist outside the boundarys of BKK.

There are many more pick ups than cars up country at least where I live there is.

I make it sound as though there are no cars up country ?

Ummmm....

Yeah ok. :o

There are many many Pick ups in Thailand, Thailand is the second largest pick up truck market in the world, so yes, there are indeed many more pick ups than saloon cars.

Hence you will see more pick ups involved in accidents, as Thailand also has Millions of people who use Motorcycles you will also see many motorcycle accidents and fatalities.

Two weeks ago I went on a camp with my school.. Two brand new Pajero sports and my jazz. They filled the pajeros up with 5 people plus driver and luaggage... I filled my jazz up with 4 white men and a little Thai woman, luagge and food for all 60 students and teachers... and the game box... Still had space for more...

Driver + 5 passengers = 6 passengers

Luggage and food for 60 Students.

A game box and still had room for more.

Did you call the Guinness book of records ? :o

A guy that lives in a rural area will see the pick up truck as a great tool to have.

A guy that lives in Bangkok would not see the pick up in the same light.

In a City it's much better to have a small car like a Jazz, can fit lots into it if needed, the magic seats are great.

If I lived exsclusively in Pattaya, I would change the Fortuner for a Jazz or a City, but long distance travelling on a regular basis, it's still Fottuner for me.

In fact I may well be buying a Honda City or Jazz this year, but still keep my Fortuner too.

I would suggest that 10 years ago there were less SUV/trucks in use, so yes, over such a time period people with money will 'upgrade'.
I'm just trying to make the point that we are all supposed to be doing our bit for the environment... ...narrow and congested streets of a town? Nah. Get a Jazz!
Walk, bus, BTS etc.

It's too hot + I'm going shopping = take the car.

....and a Vigo 2wd, but I never used the pick up bed (unless I was on a school camp - 30 students in the back)
...in which case the vehicle's insurance will not cover any passengers that are sitting/standing in the load space of the pick up truck in the event of an accident.

Does your insurance cover you for using personal vehicles for work trips?

I saw a pickup with people in the back roll over a few years ago - due to Songkran DUI - wasn't pretty.

1st class, have not tried to claim for all the studetns in the back, but seeing how they throw money after me when I (my GF) scratch, bend, dent or remove parts from previous cars I guess they would do... Why else would Thais have insurance...

(did not say a clause stating that stipulates what I carry in the back) I have seen alot worse)

PS I might have calculated a bit wrong, it was more like 16 students in the back and 10 on the inside...

Years ago i had a 65' Ford Falcon, Mad Max style, spray canned flat black (easy to respray if get a schratch), straight six cylinder (prefere V8), steering columm shift (so tree peaple can sit in the front), large trunk, car had absolutely no electronic things on it. Manual windows, contacts in the distributor, no central locks, no plastic dor handles (which brakes all the times), only heavy steel ones, very strong steel bumpers (so no worrieds about Motorcycles scratching arround your plastic front mask during the redlights), round glas siled beam 5 1/4 headlights, no plastic oners wich comes yellow after 3 years, ( sealed beams can be bought and replaced for 150 Baht per reflector in any Spare Part Shops), big ballon tyres (for soft ride). This was the absolutely best car i ever had in Thailand, no worries, can parking between all the motorbikes in Pattaya, without worries to get scratched and nobody would ever steal it, even you let the ignition keys on the dashboard. And now the importantst thing in Thailand what you have to worry about: No mother in law or any family member ever like to sit in that vehicle, because it was a shame and "loosing face" for them to take a ride in a car like this. To bad i lost it, after splitting with my ex GF. My mistake, i had it in her name.

.. a few months back on TV, 5th Gear crashed a 4X4 Landrover Discovery in to a Renault people carrier.. shock results the people in the Dicovery would have been dead or badly injured, the people in the MPV would have walked away bruised..

Not a few months but a few years back and that MPV was claimed to be the safest car at that time. Jazz weighs half a ton less and receives only four lousy stars, same as Navarra pickup truck.

Safety is only one, minor consideration when people buy vehicles here, don't get all worked up over it. Right now new City seems to be all the rage, forget Jazz with its magic seats and room for 60 lunch boxes. City looks way better and so it sells.

I think I saw that test between the landrover and teh MPV... Old VS New...

I saw a new test on DW, they crashed an Audi Q7 against a Fiat 500 thing... I think the Audi owner would be sad, the paintjob was scratched, the fiat owner, well he would be dead with the other people in that tiny thing...

Size matters, don't think safty here, start a new thread "which car is the safest car on the road"...

Practical... Which car?