Resedency

I have been living in Thailand for ten years appart from the last year that I have spent in cambodia I am currently in thailand on a 60 day tourist visa that I got in PP to visit my daughter .A friend in BBK just told me that there is a new visa law with which I can get permenant residency for free if I meet certain criteria .

I have had in the past 3 consecutive one year work permits ,could any one tell me if this is true.or is it just another scam to keep your application money if your application fails.

Sounds too good to be true,can anyone confirm please?

There is no such law. And permanent residency is not a visa.

There has been a cabnet resolution to grant free visas for 3 months which will not apply to any immigration fee's.

If you wanted to apply for permanent residency now you would have to start all over again with the 3 one year extensions. They have to be back to back not total.

A friend in BBK just told me that there is a new visa law with which I can get permenant residency for free if I meet certain criteria .

another scam to keep your application money if your application fails.

Sounds too good to be true,can anyone confirm please?

Think your posting sums it up:

1. PR for Free

2. Keep application fee

3. Too good to be true..

If the PR was free, why would you be worrying about application fees..??? it would be free wouldnt it..??

and the old addage thrown in....if it seems too good to be true, it generally is....

I would consign what you have been told to your waste bin along with your Thai Elite card application form...

SCAM SCAM

There has been a cabnet resolution to grant free visas for 3 months which will not apply to any immigration fee's.

If you wanted to apply for permanent residency now you would have to start all over again with the 3 one year extensions. They have to be back to back not total.

I was under the impression that consecutive was back toback

You are on a tourist visa now so you don't have either one now. You had consecuitive extensions before but you don't now.

Not a scam, I would think, just a woefully misinformed friend.

To apply for PR, you must currently be in Thailand on at least your third, consecutive one year extension of stay. The extensions must be consecutive, meaning that from initial Non-Immigrant visa entry, you must have three, consecutive one year extensions with no breaks, not even of a single day.

The PR regulations don't specify what type of Non-Immigrant visa you must be on, but given other criteria related to proof of income tax payments, the implication is that you must have been employed in Thailand and paying tax for this three year period. This can be either on a Non-Immigrant "B" or a Non-Immigrant "O". Again, the regulations don't specify a minimum income, but anecdotal evidence from applicants elsewhere on this site suggests that if your income is less than THB 100,000 per month, your application won't be accepted.

The regulations do provide for an "emminent persons" category which may be exempt from the income requirement, but you need written support from a Government Minister or senior Civil Servant to demonstrate your exceptional capabilities - very hard to get.

As for fees, the application fee is not unreasonable at THB 7,600, but if you are accepted, the fee for issuance of your resident certificate is a rather hefty THB 191,400. If you are married to a Thai, the fee is halved to THB 95,700. But definitely not free!!!

I found the officers in the Permanent Residence unit at Suan Phlu to be very helpful. They clearly aren't in it to scam fees, as from I could see they were giving applicants a pretty clear indication of whether or not their applications will be successful before taking the application fee and bribery does not appear to enter into the approval process (apparently the PR process was quite corrupt until the mid-90s).

It's important to note that applications for PR are accepted only during the last few days of December each year - a notice published at Immigration and in the Royal Gazette gives the exact application period. In normal times, applications take about 18 months to process completely, including the final sign-off from the Interior Minister. Unfortunately, due to the frequent changes of government, the December 2006 applicants are still waiting, along with those from 2007 and 2008.

You are on a tourist visa now so you don't have either one now. You had consecuitive extensions before but you don't now.

correct

EmU

In your position, I would be wondering if your 'friend' was indeed a true friend or was perhaps someone who wants to, say, rob your money or passport. Maybe you need to re-evaluate this 'friendship'.

No I dont think this is the case as he is in the same possition as I am,he said he was talkingto someone from Thai immigration and they told him about it he was just trying to help he has nothing to gain from it but maby the other party has .but thanks for the thought.