I Will Return To Post Of Prime Minister: Thaksin

george

AYatesAFP.jpg

City gives disgraced Thaksin the boot

Fugitive Thaksin Shinawatra has suffered more indignity following Manchester City's decision to remove him as Honorary Club President.

British media reported the club's owners in Abu Dhabi had decided the time was right to take a stance against a man who has been convicted of multimillion-pound corruption, is presently on the run from the authorities in Thailand, and cannot even enter the UK.

The decision was reportedly taken after high-level talks over the past few weeks to determine what to do about the way the former owner had become an increasing source of embarrassment to his successors at Eastlands.

"Frank", as Thaksin was called, thanks to the similarity of his surname to "Sinatra", remains a popular figure among many City supporters, who credit him with rescuing the club from financial hardship and setting up the deal with the new, massively rich owners.

However, there were also fans who refused to watch the club while Thaksin and his family were in control.

The Guardian reported the new owner, Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al-Nahyan, and chairman Khaldoon al-Mubarak concluded it would be "inappropriate" to allow Thaksin to continue holding such a prominent position.

"Simon Pearce, the sheikh's personal envoy, and the other English representatives on City's board were also aware that the Premier League had strong objections about the involvement of a fugitive who was once described by Human Rights Watch as 'a human-rights abuser of the worst kind'," The Guardian said.

Thaksin's name was subsequently removed from the match-day programme and has also been taken off the club's website and various places inside the stadium.

The decision is understood to have been accepted by Thaksin and has gone down well inside the City boardroom, with one high-ranking official recently saying it was "disgusting" that a convicted criminal should be allowed an honorary role at the club, The Guardian reported.

Thaksin, who made a 6 Billion Baht profit selling City, may now try to sell his remaining 10-per-cent stake.

- The Nation / 2009-02-12

Sweet as a squirrel's bloody nut. :D

Man City are finally kicking out some of the skeleton's from their closeted boardroom, and not a moment too soon. Guess Frankie-boy will have to try really hard now to pretend he's a fan of British footie. :o:D

Justice is slowly catching up with ai naa leam, bit by glorious bit.

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why was the forum topic about this removed? I got the email pointing to this topic:

Manchester City dump fugitive Thaksin from president's role

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/City-Bye-Bye...sin-t242120.htm

But it is suddenly removed. Server error? Too hotly debated? What happened?

SMH has a story on it too.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/thaksin-droppe...90211-84oz.html

Evidently regular members can't start new topics in this sub-forum, or I'd have re-posted it myself. Good on England for finally doing something the public will see.

So in Thailand we allow convicted criminals to govern the country then ? :o

No, it doesn't work like that.

In Thailand the military stage a coup while the prime minister is away on official business and then convict him while he's abroad to ensure he will not return.

I wonder how someone who lives in Thailand and has been a member on TV for more than two years can get his facts wrong when it is so easy to check.

The coup replaced Thaksin, but did not convict him. Ultimately, he was charged with several crimes, including the Ratchadapisek land case, which was the first one to go to court. Thaksin returned to Thailand to fight this case and was granted bail.

Later, Thaksin received permission to go to Bejing to watch the Olympics (official business?). Then, following the Olympics, he was to return as agreed to Bangkok to attend a hearing on the Ratchadapisek land case, but instead fled to London (more official business?).

Thaksin decided not to return to Thailand and was ultimately convicted.

There isnt a great deal of internet access in the poor homes in the rural areas. Of course times are changing but change occurs at different pace in different places. The 8 o'clock show is still the best watched TV show (possibly excepting the soap opera that follows it) in the rather poor rural villages I visit fairly regularly. In urban areas the middle classes dont seem to watch it much however form my observation. There are many contradictions in Thailand.

I wouldnt advise anyone however to repeat the statements of say the torpedo to a group in a rural area and not because of the police. I tend to agree with Paul Handleys statement in a reply to questions on NM not so long ago that "if Thaksin were seen as a threat to the institution by the people he would have lost his popularity instantly".

What small or even medium sized groups of people of similar opinions say to each other in liberal environments or on anonymous webboards is not necessarily a reflection of what a society thinks or even what the people would openly say.

This a very difficult situation to assess, as there are no hard facts available whatsoever, and talking about this subject is very difficult. Nevertheless - one of the most underestimated sources of news for the upcountry population are community radio stations, and other alternative networking possibilities, such as handbills.

It also depends from province to province, village to village.

Additionally, Thai language regarding politics has evolved over the last year or two, particular codes are used commonly to describe what cannot be discussed, but is understood by most.

I would not want to make any guess regarding percentages, but judging from the announcements of the army itself, to position themselves closer to Isaarn villages for this reason as well, we can deduct that things may not be as they once were not too long ago.

some comments about Thaksins return by the academic in exile

February 12, 2009 13:09:25

the sound interview is worth listening to

LAM: But you're not a fan of the Red Shirts either are you? You believe that the former prime minister, Thaksin Shinawatra is not likely to be the saviour of Thailand?

UNGPAKORN: I don't believe he is likely to be the saviour of Thailand. I opposed his human rights abuses and the war on drugs, I opposed his human rights abuses in the south, but I think that the Red Shirts now have moved beyond being merely people who love Thaksin. I think they are starting to organise themselves and rebuild civil society, and therefore, I stand with the Red Shirts on that.

http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/connectas...02/s2489643.htm

I have followed the career of Thaksin from his PDP days, and was a supporter of him right from the start.

This is an interesting though fitting admission. Many of Thaksin's erstwhile supporters turned out to be his most rabid opponents later on. Like you, i have followed Thaksin's carrer for a long time, maybe longer than you as i have already had certain doubts about him during the building of his different monopolies.

At the time of his election as Prime Minister i was not very happy, understood though that the Chuan Adminstration has done nothing for the poor, and was at the time the only available choice. Which does not say anything good for him, but says more about the quality of his opponents. After the drugwar killings i despised Thaksin.

When Sondhi L. started to oppose him, i was initially glad, but after hearing the first speeches, i started getting very scared. I hoped for a democratic opposition, but Sondhi, and then the PAD, were from the start a right wing opposition and as undemocratic as it can get.

Chamlong is a dirty one. Read up on his role in 1976, and you will find out that he was a major rabble rouser of the village scouts and other rigt wing organizations. Also on the day of the massacre he has been at the meeting place of the village scouts at Royal Plaza. Very nice hero, our "Maha-Chamlong" - a fanatic all his life. From right wing army officer to fundamentalist sectarian and back to right wing rabble rouser.

Funny though that you have the cheek to call me a Thaksin Lover, and accuse many of Thaksin's earliest opponents who are now part of the red Shirt movement of doing his bidding.

Thaksin had an amazing ability to turn his supporters and closest backers

into his more virulent enemies, in a matter of a few short years.

That takes an amazing 'talent' at burning bridges for your own self aggrandizement.

That seems to have been Thaksin forté.

As to Chamlong's checkered past,

well that does kinda explain his reverting to an ascetic

and very strict fubdamentalist budhisim in his later years.

He seems to have felt some merit MUST be made...

And contrary to most politicians, who get in trouble and do 90 days in the Wat till it blows over.

He seems to have actually embraced the semi-monastic life, with out going to live in a cave.

Edited by animatic

Not so hard to know what Thai folks think, just be in Thailand and hang out and talk to people ... they'll tell you what they think. (kinda requires speaking Thai though :o

You are not the only westerner in Thailand that can speak Thai.

Therefore you should know that there are subjects that people won't simply tell you what they think about by just hanging out. Kinda requires common sense though. :D

Not so hard to know what Thai folks think, just be in Thailand and hang out and talk to people ... they'll tell you what they think. (kinda requires speaking Thai though :o

Therefore you should know that there are subjects that people won't simply tell you what they think about by just hanging out. Kinda requires common sense though. :D

The "random guy on the street"? or people you know?

Actually I have found no taboo topics for discussion one on one with people I have known for years. I have talked about "what happens next" and about politics and about the haves and have nots with many people. But yeah you have to hang out for awhile and get to be known/respected/trusted. That won't happen ever for some people that speak Thai though ... respected and trusted is something that takes time and being worthy :D

Actually I have found no taboo topics for discussion one on one with people I have known for years. I have talked about "what happens next" and about politics and about the haves and have nots with many people. But yeah you have to hang out for awhile and get to be known/respected/trusted. That won't happen ever for some people that speak Thai though ... respected and trusted is something that takes time and being worthy :o

What a revelation - one has to speak Thai, get to know people, and earn their respect. 20 years here i have been waiting for such inspired thought - I never knew that one can actually do that. Thank you so much, you changed my life with your noble teachings of such profound wisdom.

Edited by justanothercybertosser

Actually I have found no taboo topics for discussion one on one with people I have known for years. I have talked about "what happens next" and about politics and about the haves and have nots with many people. But yeah you have to hang out for awhile and get to be known/respected/trusted. That won't happen ever for some people that speak Thai though ... respected and trusted is something that takes time and being worthy :o

What a revelation - one has to speak Thai, get to know people, and earn their respect. 20 years here i have been waiting for such inspired thought - I never knew that one can actually do that. Thank you so much, you changed my life with your noble teachings of such profound wisdom.

That doesn't surprise me at all!

I have followed the career of Thaksin from his PDP days, and was a supporter of him right from the start.

This is an interesting though fitting admission. Many of Thaksin's erstwhile supporters turned out to be his most rabid opponents later on. Like you, i have followed Thaksin's carrer for a long time, maybe longer than you as i have already had certain doubts about him during the building of his different monopolies.

At the time of his election as Prime Minister i was not very happy, understood though that the Chuan Adminstration has done nothing for the poor, and was at the time the only available choice. Which does not say anything good for him, but says more about the quality of his opponents. After the drugwar killings i despised Thaksin.

When Sondhi L. started to oppose him, i was initially glad, but after hearing the first speeches, i started getting very scared. I hoped for a democratic opposition, but Sondhi, and then the PAD, were from the start a right wing opposition and as undemocratic as it can get.

Chamlong is a dirty one. Read up on his role in 1976, and you will find out that he was a major rabble rouser of the village scouts and other right wing organizations. Also on the day of the massacre he has been at the meeting place of the village scouts at Royal Plaza. Very nice hero, our "Maha-Chamlong" - a fanatic all his life. From right wing army officer to fundamentalist sectarian and back to right wing rabble rouser.

Funny though that you have the cheek to call me a Thaksin Lover, and accuse many of Thaksin's earliest opponents who are now part of the red Shirt movement of doing his bidding.

The story of Chamlong is an interesting one, and only goes to highlight the twists and turns of the main players. His role in the events of 1976 was far overshadowed by that of Samak. He managed to clean up his act enough to be elected governor of Bangkok in 1985, and served two terms as one of the most well thought of people to hold the post. In 1992, when Chuan et al were wearing black suits in parliament to signify the death of democracy, Chamlong led the fight against Suchinda and Kasit onto the streets, forcing the royal intervention and restoration of Anand to the post of PM prior to the election of the Chuan led democrats. I remember sitting in an upcountry kway teo shop shortly after the famous joint Chamlong and Suchinda royal audiance when Chamlong came past on the back of a pickup truck, campaigning for the PDP party. It was if he'd just returned from climbing Mount Everest, stopping to win the world cup on the way home and collecting several Nobel prizes on the side. The reception was staggering. At that moment he was a hero to many Thais. For a number of reasons, including some back stabbing by Chuan's team, his party failed to gather many seats and served as a coalition partner. Shortly after, he introduced a certain Thaksin Shinawatra to politics. Forward to now, Chamlong is accused of being on the side that he so bitterly fought against in 1992. Samak is on the side that he so ruthlessly, blood thirstly, and neck stretchingly, fought against in 1976. The only certainty in Thai politics is uncertainty. Everyone is out for themselves, choosing the side they feel is winning at the time. We now have a new man at the helm. Sure, he may be there at the behest of the military, but he is there, and he's not a military man. Just as Anand managed to turn his detractors around after being installed by the Suchinda led military, maybe, just maybe, Abhisit will be able to do the same. We are running out of options. "Bring back Thaksin" is not the answer, he brutally blew his chance. Now Abhisit deserves his, and I have yet to hear a sensible argument as to why we shouldn't.

With regards to your last sentence, please show me a post where I have directly accused you of being a Thaksin lover? Your stance is suspiciously similar to Smugfarangbore's, but I'll refrain from making accusations, maybe it's coincidence. And, you are welcome to the opinion that the red shirts primary aim is not to aid and abet Thaksin, but I, and many of the red shirt supporters in many posts on this forum, choose to disagree.

I only need to look around at the office....all is full of pictures from a highly regarded person, on every table and as computer background.....don't need to speak.....

The story of Chamlong is an interesting one, and only goes to highlight the twists and turns of the main players. His role in the events of 1976 was far overshadowed by that of Samak. He managed to clean up his act enough to be elected governor of Bangkok in 1985, and served two terms as one of the most well thought of people to hold the post. In 1992, when Chuan et al were wearing black suits in parliament to signify the death of democracy, Chamlong led the fight against Suchinda and Kasit onto the streets, forcing the royal intervention and restoration of Anand to the post of PM prior to the election of the Chuan led democrats. I remember sitting in an upcountry kway teo shop shortly after the famous joint Chamlong and Suchinda royal audiance when Chamlong came past on the back of a pickup truck, campaigning for the PDP party. It was if he'd just returned from climbing Mount Everest, stopping to win the world cup on the way home and collecting several Nobel prizes on the side. The reception was staggering. At that moment he was a hero to many Thais. For a number of reasons, including some back stabbing by Chuan's team, his party failed to gather many seats and served as a coalition partner. Shortly after, he introduced a certain Thaksin Shinawatra to politics. Forward to now, Chamlong is accused of being on the side that he so bitterly fought against in 1992. Samak is on the side that he so ruthlessly, blood thirstly, and neck stretchingly, fought against in 1976. The only certainty in Thai politics is uncertainty. Everyone is out for themselves, choosing the side they feel is winning at the time. We now have a new man at the helm. Sure, he may be there at the behest of the military, but he is there, and he's not a military man. Just as Anand managed to turn his detractors around after being installed by the Suchinda led military, maybe, just maybe, Abhisit will be able to do the same. We are running out of options. "Bring back Thaksin" is not the answer, he brutally blew his chance. Now Abhisit deserves his, and I have yet to hear a sensible argument as to why we shouldn't.

With regards to your last sentence, please show me a post where I have directly accused you of being a Thaksin lover? Your stance is suspiciously similar to Smugfarangbore's, but I'll refrain from making accusations, maybe it's coincidence. And, you are welcome to the opinion that the red shirts primary aim is not to aid and abet Thaksin, but I, and many of the red shirt supporters in many posts on this forum, choose to disagree.

There was one post you called me a Thaksin lover, as far as i can remember. But i won't go back and search for it. It doesn't matter.

I personally believe that Chamlong has not changed his colors in any way. Neither do i believe that Samak has changed them. It is only that alliances have changed.

PAD rhetoric is rabidly right wing, full of accusations of 'Nac Paendin' and other nationalist crap. In my view Abhisit deserves a chance the moment he dissolves parliament and is popularly elected and forms a coalition government. It still does not scratch out the involvement with PAD.

He has gotten a chance nevertheless, but has chosen to appoint a PAD member as foreign minister, which shows clearly that he only pays lipservice to national recounciliation. His defense of the Navy and ISOC in the boat people issue is further evidence that he is not what he pretends to be.

I am not a Red Shirt supporter. I believe though that the Red Shirts are, within clear limits, politically more grown up than PAD, and have made efforts to improve. I cannot say the same of the PAD - they are radicals, and transformed from somewhat promising beginnings to a right wing cult. A force i could support, a entirely peaceful democracy movement, is not at the present time existing, though there is a slight hope that the Red Shirts might one day turn into one.

I am not a Red Shirt supporter. I believe though that the Red Shirts are, within clear limits, politically more grown up than PAD, and have made efforts to improve. I cannot say the same of the PAD - they are radicals, and transformed from somewhat promising beginnings to a right wing cult. A force i could support, a entirely peaceful democracy movement, is not at the present time existing, though there is a slight hope that the Red Shirts might one day turn into one.

Yes the Red shirts attacking over and over and killing makes them FAR "more politically grown up".

I am afraid you are not convincing anyone tosser!

You will always find demographic pockets where there's more support, or less opposition. Overall I don't know anyone who doubts Thai society feelings for monarchy. You, GK, seem to challenge this widely accepted fact.

I would like to point out that the feelings at hand is for our nations Father. As we know things might, hope not but lets be realists, change in the close future that leads to changes of this and also reveals the peoples opinions of the next at helm. And they are not the same.

So, Long live the King. For the future of this nation.

You will always find demographic pockets where there's more support, or less opposition. Overall I don't know anyone who doubts Thai society feelings for monarchy. You, GK, seem to challenge this widely accepted fact.

I would like to point out that the feelings at hand is for our nations Father. As we know things might, hope not but lets be realists, change in the close future that leads to changes of this and also reveals the peoples opinions of the next at helm. And they are not the same.

So, Long live the King. For the future of this nation.

This discuss should be stop before this website is been block for discussing this matter. There is a LM law in Thailand.

30095617-01.jpg

Man City closes door on Frank

Banished from a place where he is still well loved, at least by about half of the population, leaving behind divisive questions about his legal and business morals. No chance to defend himself. The door is just slammed shut and all the links severed.

That's not about Thaksin Shinawatra and Thailand. It's about him and Manchester, the British city where he was once affectionately called "Frank" and ethical issues were swept aside because what he was doing for a football club was deemed more important and meaningful.

The Thaksin myth lives on. The blue half of Manchester has been divided. There are people who remain deeply thankful for what he did for the Manchester City Football Club and there are those who wouldn't buy a match ticket as long as he was in charge. And against that backdrop, there have been whispered rumours about shady business deals or transactions of the kind that left his motherland in the current dismal political state.

Why the new MCFC owners, who cordially bought the club from Thaksin last year, suddenly decided to disgrace him by relieving him as Honorary President of the club is a mystery. Reasons given point to his conviction and other problems in Thailand, but they do not explain why it took the Arab executives this long to realise Thaksin had such troubles.

The club's sale to the Arab billionaires was completed in early September, whereas Thaksin was convicted in late October. It's possible that the new owners gave Thaksin the benefit of the doubt and played a waiting game until he was really found guilty. However, that "waiting" period, more than 100 days after his conviction and around three months after the UK government revoked his visa, is also long enough to arouse curiosity.

Do the new owners know something we don't? Most puzzling of all, it was anything but a fond farewell.

Thaksin's name has been removed from the match-day programme and also been taken off the club's website and various places inside the stadium.

One high-ranking club official was reported to have said it was "disgusting" that a convicted criminal should be allowed an honorary role at the club

That was not the way a football club treats a former owner, let alone one largely credited with taking it out of financial trouble and, though he has sold it, making it the richest club in the world.

And we can only guess why this kind of treatment, whether at national or club levels, keeps happening to the same man.

- The Nation / 2009-02-13

By the way anyone heard what his son was shouting in a Chiang Mai bar?

Wonder if Suthep will use it in the case Thaksin has brought against him.

so whats the scoop ? a linky ?

can't find any mention of this on BP.

Mostly on Thai forum and word of mouth. But I think (not 100%) you can find it mentioned on 2bangkok.

"My DAD is the First President of People Republic of Thailand!"

- 2Bangkok

Thaksin sues Suthep for defamation

Ousted PM Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday sued Deputy PM Suthep Thaugsuban for defamation after Suthep accused Thaksin of wishing to become "President of Thailand." Udom Prongfah, lawyer of Thaksin, went to the Criminal Court to file the defamation suit against Mr Suthep. The court accepted the case, and has scheduled May 18 for a hearing on the case. Puea Thai Party MP Chaowarin Latthasaksiri earlier defended Thaksin, saying he only said he would return as prime minister, not as president.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/13...-for-defamation

Edited by sriracha john

Ousted PM Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday sued Deputy PM Suthep Thaugsuban for defamation after Suthep accused Thaksin of wishing to become "President of Thailand." Udom Prongfah, lawyer of Thaksin, went to the Criminal Court to file the defamation suit against Mr Suthep. The court accepted the case, and has scheduled May 18 for a hearing on the case. Puea Thai Party MP Chaowarin Latthasaksiri earlier defended Thaksin, saying he only said he would return as prime minister, not as president.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/13...-for-defamation

So Thaksin is now perfectly happy, with the fairness of the justice-system in Thailand, and wishes to use it to muffle his critics, sense of deja-vu anybody ?

But when it is time for himself to face the courts, suddenly they are unfair and unjust, doesn't that demonstrate double-standards ? :o

30095617-01.jpg

Man City closes door on Frank

, it was anything but a fond farewell.

Thaksin's name has been removed from the match-day programme and also been taken off the club's website and various places inside the stadium.

One high-ranking club official was reported to have said it was "disgusting" that a convicted criminal should be allowed an honorary role at the club

That was not the way a football club treats a former owner, let alone one largely credited with taking it out of financial trouble and, though he has sold it, making it the richest club in the world.

And we can only guess why this kind of treatment, whether at national or club levels, keeps happening to the same man.

- The Nation / 2009-02-13

[/quote

"And Now The End Is Near

And So I Face The Final Curtain.........................................................................

.... :D:D:wai::P

:o:D:D

DISCLAIMER; Khun Thaksin, should you miraculously come back to power within the next 10 years, my name is Col Pyat and I am borrowing JacknDannys computer :jerk:

Mostly on Thai forum and word of mouth. But I think (not 100%) you can find it mentioned on 2bangkok.

- 2Bangkok

No problem. All Suthep's lawyers have to do is request the plaintiff appear in court himself and this case will be over.

- 2Bangkok

No problem. All Suthep's lawyers have to do is request the plaintiff appear in court himself and this case will be over.

That is hilarious if it can actually be requested in court. The plaintiff's presence that is