I Will Return To Post Of Prime Minister: Thaksin

george

Pheu Thai Party complains about lack of subsidy

The Pheu Thai Party yesterday lodged a complaint with the Election Commission, saying it faced a financial burden because it received no subsidy from the EC last week, while other parties did.

In an argument submitted on his party's behalf, Opposition Chief Whip Withaya Buranasiri said his Party was entitled to the subsidy since its MPs held 183 House seats and remained politically active, as prescribed in EC-issued regulations.

"My Party needs the financial assistance in order to further develop its ties with the people," Withaya said following the filing of the complaint.

He said he was optimistic that the EC would likely grant the subsidy to his party.

EC member Sodsri Satayathum said the agency had already allocated the funds to support political parties for 2009.

Under the relevant laws, a Party is obligated to contest a general election in order to qualify for the subsidy. But the main opposition party became active after the polls by providing its banner for MPs from the disbanded People Power Party, she said.

She added none of the candidates for the January 11 by-election ran under the Pheu Thai Party banner when they declared their candidacy on December 23, the cut-off date to earmark the subsidy.

Even though winning candidates later switched to the Pheu Thai Party banner after the balloting, this would qualify the Party for the next year's financial support, and not this year.

EC official Thanit Sriprathet suggested that the Party should draw up its projects and spending plans for raising political awareness if it wanted to be qualified for state support for the next fiscal year. The deadline for accepting application for financial support is August, he said.

- The Nation / 2009-02-07

No state funds. Never got a budget through when in government. Thaksins dosh frozen in Thailand, reportedly UK and the rest frozen in his pocket minus a few tranches to make sure red rallies dont get too small and the TV station continues for at least a couple more months. Only a few business supporters left. The PTP side dudes will be looking at using their own money if they stay with the Thaksins personal party unless he and the clan has a change of heart before the next election. Reportedly his sibling up north has refused to "waste money" funding huge turnouts (and as they are aware huge leakage) at red rallies (could change though)

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One man's political seminar is another man's plotting of insurrection.

Shin building's banned TRT/PPP war room isn't closed down is it?

N,o it's a mobile road show now.

Integrity is not a viable phrase in the political world here,

along with loyalty for ideological reasons,

and public service via altruism.

Edited by animatic

Thaksin over Abhisit for me, but out of choice i would like to see a Prime Minister who focuses on bridging the huge poverty gap here. It is absolutely criminal. You need someone in power who is from a working mans background so to speak, he/she must appreciate the lives of those who work 14 hr days for 5-7 thousand baht per month trying to support a wife and kid.

I want to see a leader that slows down the country's quest for hurried globalisation and realises that taking care of the poverty problem (low minimum wage etc) is fundamental to future stability when achieving world integration and globalised economic ideals.

I have not heard Abhisit talk of any policy that will help the 10% of people living below the poverty line.

cheers

Puea Thai Party to consult Thaksin 'on new leader'

Democrat Party believes Puea Thai Party MPs want to consult with ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra on the selection of the new Party Leader. The Puea Thai Party is expected to select its new Leader on Tuesday, according to Democrat Spokesman Buranat Samitrak. The Spokesman also said Thaksin has the right to phone-in to speak to his supporters, but the rule of law will apply to him as a Thai citizen. Mr Buranat added that the government guarantees Thaksin's safety if he returns to fight criminal charges against

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/13...n-on-new-leader

I am at a loss to see how anyone could ever view the PTP as a valid political party. They are carrying on in exactly the same way in opposition as they were in government (as the PPP). Concerned with, and caring more for, the welfare of one convicted criminal than the running and well being of the country.

Also, for the record, since you are aiming a personal attack on Chuan, you should be aware that he has received

The Knight Grand Cross (First Class) of the Most Noble Order of the Crown of Thailand.

The Knight Grand Cross (First Class) of the Most Exalted Order of the White Elephant.

The Knight Grand Cordon (Special Class) of The Most Noble Order of the Crown of Thailand.

The Knight Grand Cordon (Special Class) of the Most Exalted Order of the White Elephant.

The Grand Companion (Third Class, higher grade) of the Most Illustrious Order of Chula Chom Klao.

and, The Knight Grand Commander (Second Class, higher grade) of the Most Illustrious Order of Chula Chom Klao.

Keep this in mind when you continue your personal attacks on Chuan.

While I can't say I am unhappy to see you back, I am a bit surprised that your comments are thin on facts and heavy on disparaging remarks about other posters. You used to combine the two.

Chuan may have personally not been corrupt (as far as we know), but many Democrat Party members are. Chuan has had a reputation of having done nothing about solving the problems of the poorer sectors of society, especially in the rural areas of the North and Northeast, which in itself is a corruption of the system and has led to the rise of Thaksin (more corrupt without doubt, but has done substantial and long overdue improvements for the aforementioned sectors).

Decorations are part of the game, here are Thaksin's (copied from wiki):

Also, for the record, since you are aiming a personal attack on Chuan, you should be aware that he has received

The Knight Grand Cross (First Class) of the Most Noble Order of the Crown of Thailand.

The Knight Grand Cross (First Class) of the Most Exalted Order of the White Elephant.

The Knight Grand Cordon (Special Class) of The Most Noble Order of the Crown of Thailand.

The Knight Grand Cordon (Special Class) of the Most Exalted Order of the White Elephant.

The Grand Companion (Third Class, higher grade) of the Most Illustrious Order of Chula Chom Klao.

and, The Knight Grand Commander (Second Class, higher grade) of the Most Illustrious Order of Chula Chom Klao.

While I can't say I am unhappy to see you back, I am a bit surprised that your comments are thin on facts and heavy on disparaging remarks about other posters. You used to combine the two.

Chuan may have personally not been corrupt (as far as we know), but many Democrat Party members are. Chuan has had a reputation of having done nothing about solving the problems of the poorer sectors of society, especially in the rural areas of the North and Northeast, which in itself is a corruption of the system and has led to the rise of Thaksin (more corrupt without doubt, but has done substantial and long overdue improvements for the aforementioned sectors).

That old "Thaksin loves the poor" chestnut again. If he did so much to help them in all the years of unopposed power he had then please explain why farmers are still in debt, the minimum wage is still at a disgracefully low level and a large number of Thai's are still living in extreme poverty? He was good at handing out money, much of which went into corrupt amphur and tambon officials bank accounts if my part of Buri Ram is any indicator. It's as if all the Thaksin lovers desperately want to find one good thing to say about him, in the hope that the dozens of bad things will be suddenly forgotten. Unfortunately for them, this one good thing is largely a myth.

Thaksin over Abhisit for me

Based on what? Thaksin had his chance in power and screwed it up. GIve Abhisit a chance before rushing to conclusions.

And as far as Thaksin giving a rat's arse about those living below the poverty line is concerned, the fact is that all he's ever done is hand out tax-payers money to help him win votes. What's he ever done off his own back and with his own money to help these people?

That old "Thaksin loves the poor" chestnut again. If he did so much to help them in all the years of unopposed power he had then please explain why farmers are still in debt, the minimum wage is still at a disgracefully low level and a large number of Thai's are still living in extreme poverty? He was good at handing out money, much of which went into corrupt amphur and tambon officials bank accounts if my part of Buri Ram is any indicator. It's as if all the Thaksin lovers desperately want to find one good thing to say about him, in the hope that the dozens of bad things will be suddenly forgotten. Unfortunately for them, this one good thing is largely a myth.

Rome hasn't been built in a day either.

The damage of decades of mismanaging the country won't be repaired in a day. Pointing out that Thaksin has introduced some very important changes does neither mean that one is a "Thaksin lover", nor that one is blind to the abuses that happened during his administration.

Things are never just black and white, suggesting so speaks of a simplistic mind.

Thaksin over Abhisit for me

Based on what? Thaksin had his chance in power and screwed it up. GIve Abhisit a chance before rushing to conclusions.

And as far as Thaksin giving a rat's arse about those living below the poverty line is concerned, the fact is that all he's ever done is hand out tax-payers money to help him win votes. What's he ever done off his own back and with his own money to help these people?

Abhisit had his chance, and he has wasted it already.

He has copied TRT policies, only that his populist moneys went now to the comparatively wealthy and not the ones that really need it (2000 baht).

He claimed to be a Prime Minister for all Thais and to heal the divisions - and made Kasit PM, and several other PADs consultants of several government ministries.

He claimed that all people are equal under the law - and has rejected the serious accusations about Human Rights abuses against the Rohingya refugees.

Hi deputy PM and Kingmaker has been implicated in a serious election violation, the case was just forwarded to prosecution by the EC.

The increased use of Lese Majeste accusations by his government and the sophism to excuse this has already been heavily criticised by many international watchdogs.

etc.

You forgot to add that Thaksin is a convicted criminal on the run. How could you leave this part out of his wonderful accomplishments?

Abhisit had his chance, and he has wasted it already.

That you have written Abhisit off barely weeks into his term (truth is i'm sure you'd written him off before he even came to power) and keep harping on about Thaksin's "achievements", might give one reason to doubt your "not in love with Thaksin" claim.

Go on admit it - you do fancy him just a bit don't you Mr Tosser? :o

Edited by rixalex

Of course there are some quarters perfectly happy

to give the impression Abhisit is not getting the job done,

at the EARLIEST opportunity. Partisan reasons abound.

There are more, no doubt, perfectly content to let him

get on with the business of salvaging the country.

Hello? Thaksin is convicted and jumps bail, ditto the little missus. Under any law that is a jailable offense. Little missus returns, nothing, nada, walks in with a smile after 'the divorce'. Well nothing is a surprise is it! The man himself, all teary eyed in parliament during his first 18 months, claims not knowing billions of Baht worth of shares were in his maid and drivers names - and he trusts them??? I don't think... Then he makes election promises he would pay 1M Baht to each village in the poorer districts. Where was the downside? He wins, he uses Govt Revenue, he loses, no risk not his money. Smart man! Then he did win - and he paid up - good man - and what did each of the villagers do with their windfall? Bought mobile phones! Who owned the phone company (yawn). An now, still a refugee claiming he is poorly done by and the moves against him are politically motivated? dam_n right as well as legally. Why would any billionaire want a paid position of a few hundred thousand USD a year? Only to steal more - yes, he may be one hel_l of a politician but what else is he? Time has moved on, wash the red shirts until they turn it pink and go back to supporting the King. Far better deal! Yellow? Red? who gives a toss. Give Abhisit a chance to either work or hang himself, either way everything will be revealed in the fullness of time. :o

I used to have the naive thought that all the colorful jujubees hanging on the formal dress of Thai VIP's were battle commendations. The pilot wings on their collars were of particular interest. I knew the crown prince was a real pilot, but all the others? - quite a stretch. Now I see, from the mention above that they are civilian, rather than battlefield commendations.

It's rather a microcosm of Hollywood - with their constant publicity and commendations (Emmies, Oscars, self-congradulatory gushings, et. al.) and also a bit revolting when you consider how it widens the already vast chasm between rich and poor / haves and have-nots ...that are endemic to Thailand.

How about commendations for grass roots heroes (?), rather than repeatedly decorating people like Thaksin, who most of us saw to be a #1 creep and sleazoid - even before he got elected to his first term. He, among others of his ilk, tarnish the glow of such commendations.

Hello? Thaksin is convicted and jumps bail, ditto the little missus. Under any law that is a jailable offense. Little missus returns, nothing, nada, walks in with a smile after 'the divorce'. Well nothing is a surprise is it! The man himself, all teary eyed in parliament during his first 18 months, claims not knowing billions of Baht worth of shares were in his maid and drivers names - and he trusts them??? I don't think... Then he makes election promises he would pay 1M Baht to each village in the poorer districts. Where was the downside? He wins, he uses Govt Revenue, he loses, no risk not his money. Smart man! Then he did win - and he paid up - good man - and what did each of the villagers do with their windfall? Bought mobile phones! Who owned the phone company (yawn). An now, still a refugee claiming he is poorly done by and the moves against him are politically motivated? dam_n right as well as legally. Why would any billionaire want a paid position of a few hundred thousand USD a year? Only to steal more - yes, he may be one hel_l of a politician but what else is he? Time has moved on, wash the red shirts until they turn it pink and go back to supporting the King. Far better deal! Yellow? Red? who gives a toss. Give Abhisit a chance to either work or hang himself, either way everything will be revealed in the fullness of time. :o

Very well put!

Rome hasn't been built in a day either.

The damage of decades of mismanaging the country won't be repaired in a day. Pointing out that Thaksin has introduced some very important changes does neither mean that one is a "Thaksin lover", nor that one is blind to the abuses that happened during his administration.

Things are never just black and white, suggesting so speaks of a simplistic mind.

So now it's back to the same vague list of Thaksins supposed achievements and accusing anyone with a different opinion of having a simple mind. You can point out that "Thaksin has introduced some very important changes" all you like, but you haven't actually told us any of them.

It might also help your cause if you could get your argument straight too. How can you write in another post that "Abhisit had his chance, but he has wasted it already" after writing this one? Are you serious? Thaksin was first elected in 2001, he was deposed in 2006. That gave him 5 years with a vast majority to do something positive for the country, instead he wasted it (in every sense of the word) by treating it as his own personal fifedom. If he was as serious about fighting poverty as you say he was, there were any number of measures he could have taken to do so when he was basically ruling the country unopposed. Instead, he made token gestures of handing out tax payers money, lending farmers even more, introducing the 30baht medical scheme, without thinking of the consequences for poor up country hospitals and took his cabinet on jaunts around the country in a fit of self advertising. You could argue that the only way he genuinely cut down on the number of poor was by having them shot in his wars on drugs and against the south. Abhisit, on the other hand, has been in office for just over a month. Already his government has achieved much much more than the previous PPP one. Who are you to say that he has blown his chance?

You forgot to add that Thaksin is a convicted criminal on the run. How could you leave this part out of his wonderful accomplishments?

Of course he is.

After years of investigations for allegations of crimes ranging from mass murder, selling the country and massive corruption - they finally got him for giving a signature so that his wife can buy a plot of land. Note - she was allowed to keep the land, because no irregularities could be proven during the sale.

Gosh, next they will get him for farting in public. :o

We do know that he is anything else than clean, but what happened during the last 2 1/2 years is a travesty of justice. The justice system was poised on convicting him for a crime, any crime, that only he could be convicted for. Crimes much worse, that had collaborators, co-conspirators and equal partners in crime that are now allied with the forces against Thaksin were simply white washed.

Prosecute all, or nobody. But just concentrating on Thaksin while letting everybody else off is utter hypocrisy, and it destroys the country. As we can see in this ongoing soap opera.

justanothercyberTOSSER ---

You need to read up on law in Thailand a lot!

The court that heard the case had NO JURISDICTION over Thaksin's wife. Thaksin must be PRESENT at least once to hear the charges against him before any other cases can move forward. They picked the land deal to be the FIRST of MANY cases because it was open and shut.

justanothercyberTOSSER ---

You need to read up on law in Thailand a lot!

The court that heard the case had NO JURISDICTION over Thaksin's wife. Thaksin must be PRESENT at least once to hear the charges against him before any other cases can move forward. They picked the land deal to be the FIRST of MANY cases because it was open and shut.

If you read some of the documentation on the case, especially on the status of the agency that sold the land, instead of only reading what confirms your opinion, you would find out that the case is everything else than 'open and shut'.

The cases that would be 'open and shut' in any country with a working justice system and proper separation between judicative, executive and legislative are unfortunately here, in Thaksin's case, whitewashed. Such as the drug war investigations, such as the (ongoing) Human Rights violations in the South and against Burmese refugees.

This is a travesty of a legal system. Thaksin should be prosecuted for what he did, and with him all that could be implicated. The coup makers should be prosecuted.

Or, an amnesty for all should be given.

But using the legal system only to get rid of one's opponent is destroying the country.

hmmm tosser --- you seemed to skip over everything stated and make other vague assertions. The court had no jurisdiction over Thaksin's wife (so your points about her are invalid) or the land sale itself (so again invalid) and the other cases against Thaksin requiring his physical presence at least once to be formally charged (so negating the 'why haven't they' argument about those other charges). Your info on the land deal case just isn't correct either ... it was open and shut .. legally he could not sign that paperwork for his wife while in office. Black and white -- not an inch of grey area to worry about. Appeals in Thailand could have stretched that one case out FAR longer ... but poor Thaksin had no grounds for appeal.

I understand that you think that the coup was a bad thing .. that makes .. well ... you and a few other short sighted people that see it that way. But feel free to go back and look at the deadlock that the country was in in 2006 and get back with us and explain it :o

she was allowed to keep the land, because no irregularities could be proven during the sale.

she was allowed to keep the land as it is now worth less than she paid for it

the scheme to rezone the entertainment areas fell on it arse

boo <deleted> hoo - so much for that savvy business deal

hmmm tosser --- you seemed to skip over everything stated and make other vague assertions. The court had no jurisdiction over Thaksin's wife (so your points about her are invalid) or the land sale itself (so again invalid) and the other cases against Thaksin requiring his physical presence at least once to be formally charged (so negating the 'why haven't they' argument about those other charges). Your info on the land deal case just isn't correct either ... it was open and shut .. legally he could not sign that paperwork for his wife while in office. Black and white -- not an inch of grey area to worry about. Appeals in Thailand could have stretched that one case out FAR longer ... but poor Thaksin had no grounds for appeal.

I understand that you think that the coup was a bad thing .. that makes .. well ... you and a few other short sighted people that see it that way. But feel free to go back and look at the deadlock that the country was in in 2006 and get back with us and explain it :o

The question is not if the coup was a "bad thing". It was illegal, according to the then valid constitution, and your statement here sums up your rather limited understanding of what a legal system is.

I would suggest looking at the much worse deadlock the country is slipping into now because in 2006 a unconstitutional solution was applied to political problem. But first i would suggest to study the basics. Maybe then my post, kept purposely simply leaving out difficult words with many syllables, will appear less cryptic.

Have a nice day.

So is having multiple ID's.... :o

Care to back that allegation up with proof?

well...

It's common knowledge to anyone with even the thinnest grasp of Thai politics

and...

That's a fact.

There's no proof whatsoever of your allegations there.

Nor will there be as I've never posted on this board before.

:D

Now be a man - put up or shut up.

Edited by SmugFarangBore

...compare Thaksin (and Obama for that matter) to Abh(ph)isit. The first two were pumping out real policies that led to real differences from the moment they got into office. Admittedly Thaksin's policies always had a self-enriching aspect as well. But my point is they are real politicians. Anyone can see Abhisit is floundering. What real initiatives has he started working on? It's beginning to look like he is nothing but a pretty face. He's had years in opposition to formulate his policy ideas.

:o Exactly what I said weeks ago - just a pretty face, like Tony Blair in '97. (Except Blair actually won an election because of his pretty face.)

Anyone can see Abhisit is floundering. What real initiatives has he started working on?

He will become the fall guy for Thailand's descent into recession this year I reckon.

Nothing he does or can do will stop the inevitable global problem affecting Thailand, it already has to an extent but we haven't seen anything yet.

The people will associate the Democrats with the harsh times ahead, just as they do with the harsh times many people faced in the late 90's under Democrat policies, part of the reason they remain an unelectable entity, especially in the North and Northeast.