Are Thailand Dvds The Same As In The Uk

BIG SPUDS

Any DVD you burn will be readable anywhere in the world.

This also applies to the pirated dvd's in the shops.

Commercial DVD's at full price will be Region 3 here and will no play in the UK (region 2),

unless the player has been modded to accept all regions.

Blank DVDisks are same everywhere - from great China and India. try to buy a bit more expensive brand-names - just in case. Although chin's and ind's are just fine...

Region Coding is funny thing for copy protection worldwide. Pirated DVDs are mainly zone 1 or "No zone at all" - look after sign on the back side.

BTW, players here are more expensive than UK (same quality) but purchased here in LOS can play all zones and regions.

Have fun, buy DVD Recorder :o

You won't run into region issues since the region coding is only used by people who want to restrict the usage of the discs - simply don't pick a particular region when you burn the disc, and it will work in all regions.

A bigger issue is likely to be how compatible the disk media you're using is with her DVD player. Especially older models tend not to work with recordable DVDs, and some of the newer models don't like the RW disks, etc. I believe the most compatible, depending on manufacturer, are the DVD-R discs... (if your burner handles both, it might be an idea to burn a DVD-R and a DVD+R to send in the same mail to cover all bases, she can then tell you which one, or both, worked...)

Even then, when you burn them, you have to be careful to write them to be compatible with normal DVD players. Although, you can generally check that with your own home DVD player (assuming it's not one of the newer models which plays DivX files, etc., which will attempt to play just about anything...)

If you're simply meaning a DVD player on her computer, you won't have file issues, but you may still have media compatibility issues. - I know I burned some DVD+R disks in the UK that don't work in the kids PCs in Thailand, but the DVD-Rs do, but that's, again, manufacturer specific, it seems... (or possibly that I need to "finalise" the discs or something...)

Edited by bkk_mike