Specific Visa Questions!

Hi there,

I am British, living in England and I am 30 years old. My girlfriend is South African and is 27 years old, currently with a British work permit.

She has been offered a great teaching job at an international school in Thailand and the employer needs to know her answer by tomorrow morning (15 hours!). Here is the situation:

1) She will be given a work permit, accommodation, etc and is OK to move visa wise.

2) I don't hold a degree and want to teach ESL - I've heard its almost impossible to get any job or work permit in Thailand without a degree. I do have a certificate of higher education, however. What are my chances in finding work in this situation?

3) If I haven't secured a job in Thailand before we leave, can I attain a tourist visa and search for work in Thailand during my tourist visa stay. If I find work, can I apply for a Non-Immigrant Visa from a neighbouring country to Thailand or would I have to return to the UK and apply here?

4) If I marry my girlfriend before we go, can I stay and work on her visa? If so, what visa can I apply for then?

Sorry for all the questions, but we've only been told today.

Any help at all would be much appreciated.

Rocketlad78

I think you better had split your question as it covers two areas .... getting work as a teacher (question 2) and the requirements visa wise (3 + 4)

Answer to question 3 is as follows:

Yes, apply for a tourist visa first. Then ask your potential employer to write you a letter (with the necessary guarantees/documents) to apply for a Non Immigrant B. This can be done at most embassies/consulates in South East Asia. Perhaps someone can give you advice about which embassy is the best. If you have 21 days left on your Tourist Visa you might even be able to convert it here in Thailand.

But the answer to your question 4 is simply no. You have to apply for your own work permit and visa (see above).

I think you better had split your question as it covers two areas .... getting work as a teacher (question 2) and the requirements visa wise (3 + 4)

Answer to question 3 is as follows:

Yes, apply for a tourist visa first. Then ask your potential employer to write you a letter (with the necessary guarantees/documents) to apply for a Non Immigrant B. This can be done at most embassies/consulates in South East Asia. Perhaps someone can give you advice about which embassy is the best. If you have 21 days left on your Tourist Visa you might even be able to convert it here in Thailand.

But the answer to your question 4 is simply no. You have to apply for your own work permit and visa (see above).

Hi Sniffdog!

Thanks very much for your reply - you've made my day with the fact that I don't have to return to the UK to get a non immigrant Visa. One more question if I may!

Apart from the tourist visa, is there anything else I can get to ensure that I can stay longer than 3 months if I don't get a job? I hear now that after 90 days you cannot return for a period of 180 days?

Thanks,

Rocketlad78

First there is no riule that limits the amount of time you can spend in the country for any period of time. There was an old rule that limited the amount of time on visa exempt entries that rule is now gone.

Since you are not sure about getting a job I suggest you get a multipe entry non immigrant O visa from the Hull consulate to visit friends. This visa would allow you to stay 90 days at a time for about 15 months. You could get a work permit with this visa and extend your permit to stay for one year if you get a job or if you get married.

Hull website: http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/downloads-and-visas.aspx

hi there,

my main question, as I keep getting conflicting advice, is this: Can I teach in Thailand on a Non-Immigrant B Visa without a work permit? I ask this because of the terms outlined in the application below:

[i]Visa required: Circle TOURIST or NON-IMMIGRANT

If NON IMMIGRANT state type: “B” for conducting business

or

“ED” for attending or participating in seminars, conferences and exhibitions

officiating at an event, attending education/study course (teaching English,

scuba diving, Thai boxing, religious, etc), attending school/university, etc

or

“O” for visiting friends/family, extended stay, visiting as UK pensioner, work as

a volunteer, to seek work/employment, to work as a volunteer

[/i]

They then say all I need is a letter from a 'sponsor' for evidence, but never quite go on to say that I can earn there.

What does 'conducting business' mean exactly?

Help!

hi there,

my main question, as I keep getting conflicting advice, is this: Can I teach in Thailand on a Non-Immigrant B Visa without a work permit? I ask this because of the terms outlined in the application below:

[i]Visa required: Circle TOURIST or NON-IMMIGRANT

If NON IMMIGRANT state type: "B" for conducting business

or

"ED" for attending or participating in seminars, conferences and exhibitions

officiating at an event, attending education/study course (teaching English,

scuba diving, Thai boxing, religious, etc), attending school/university, etc

or

"O" for visiting friends/family, extended stay, visiting as UK pensioner, work as

a volunteer, to seek work/employment, to work as a volunteer

[/i]

They then say all I need is a letter from a 'sponsor' for evidence, but never quite go on to say that I can earn there.

What does 'conducting business' mean exactly?

Help!

To work in Thailand you need a Work permit

conducting business could be looking at the possibility of setting up a business in Thailand, visiting suppliers or customers in Thailand......Teaching English in a school in Thailand doesnt fall under conducting business....its working

I merged your topics no need to have 2 topics on the same subject.

You have some old information.

At one time teaching was under the ED catatgory but was changed to B some time ago.

You have to have a work permit to work and teaching is work.

Have a look at this webpage I think it will help you understand: http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2492

Rocketlad78, follow Joe's advise and apply for a multiple non-O from Hull based on visiting friends. Tha'ts all you need from immigration and will allow you to work on a WP.

Or he could marry the GF and get an "O" dependency visa based on the GF's (now the wife) Non-imm B and WP... :D ....of course think he would regret going this route once he arrived in Thailand and seen the totty running around.. :o

So think multiple Non- O from Hull based on visiting friends would be better..

Rocketlad78, follow Joe's advise and apply for a multiple non-O from Hull based on visiting friends. That's all you need from immigration and will allow you to work on a WP.

Or he could marry the GF and get an "O" dependency visa based on the GF's (now the wife) Non-imm B and WP... :D ....of course think he would regret going this route once he arrived in Thailand and seen the totty running around.. :o

Apparently he wants to work himself. Can he apply for a work permit on a dependency visa? Furthermore, I always thought you could only apply for a WP with a Non Immigrant 'B' not 'O' ... might have been changed though ,,,,

The advise is to get a non-O based on visiting friends. OP can't get a visa or extension as a dependend, as he is not married.

You don't have to have a non-B for a WP, believe rules only ask for a non-immigrant visa. But you will have problems on an ED-visa or when you are on a visa based on retirement. In the last case some will grand a WP oher labour offices not.

Apparently he wants to work himself. Can he apply for a work permit on a dependency visa? Furthermore, I always thought you could only apply for a WP with a Non Immigrant 'B' not 'O' ... might have been changed though ,,,,

A B visa is not required to apply for a work permit. It can even be done with a tourist visa and then the applicant would have to change to B visa before the permit was issued.

A work permit could be aplied for a on a dependent extension but the extension would have to be changed to a work extension.

Rocketlad78, follow Joe's advise and apply for a multiple non-O from Hull based on visiting friends. That's all you need from immigration and will allow you to work on a WP.

Yes he could, if he was legally married and on a dependent O visa. You can apply for a WP on either a "B" or an "O"