What Is The Definition Of "cop Flak"? Found In Oz News And Other British Contextpaper

Maccheroncini

Seriously, I just can't find the definition of such sayings or I would not be asking for help! At my wits end.

Thank you.

Mmmmmm.just thinking what is the best way to describe it.....Ok,If you "Cop flak" for something you did,it means that someone is picking on you.For instance,when some fool says"TROLL",then they are "Giving you flak",and as such,if you did not retort,then you would simply be 'Copping flak".I hope that clears it up for you.It's just slang used in Australia. :o

Edited by tritexengineering

It is not on here: http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html#F

In my home country the youngsters now mix Dutch with Maroc and Antilian language.

Parents have no idea what the kids are talking about when they on the phone with their friends, they could be dealing drugs.....

:o

I would suggest that it is probably old slang,i really didn't think people used it anymore.2.flak - intense adverse criticism; "Clinton directed his fire at the Republican Party"; "the government has come under attack"; "don't give me any flak" flack, attack, blast, firecriticism, unfavorable judgment - disapproval expressed by pointing out faults or shortcomings; "the senator received severe criticism from his opponent"http://www.thefreedictionary.com/flak

I suspect that to 'cop flak' is a WWII saying. Allied bomber crews were subject to German anti-aircraft guns (flak - Flugabwehrkanone, aircraft defence cannon) and to 'cop flak' meant flying through them on the way to a target.

I am not a native English speaker but did grow up in Kenya where I did both my "O" and "A" Levels. I remember that we used "copping flak" quite widely, as in "I got sh*t from so and so today" and thus "copped flak".