Urgent Need For O-negative Blood For Phuket Expat Resident

george

RENEWED URGENT REQUEST:

Urgent need for O-Negative blood for Phuket expat resident

One of our members, long-term Phuket resident Paul James, owner of the Expat Hotel in Phuket, is in urgent need of O-negative blood. This blood type is very rare in Thailand, only about 7% of all westerners are type O negative.

Donations of his blood type can be made at Vachira Phuket Hospital, every day between 9am and 3pm. Vachira Phuket is located on Yaowarat Road in Phuket City.

Donors are asked to go to the blood center at Vachira Phuket and state that their donation should be designated specifically for Paul James.

Please note that donation of any other blood type than O negative is not requested at this time.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-- Phuket 2009-02-04

the original request said that if you went and made the donation at Bangkok Hospital (I think) in BAngkok, they will arrange for the blood to be delivered to their counterpart in Phuket.

I looked at the original thread and it does say BAngkok Hospital Phuket will arrange for the blood to be delivered to them.

Perhaps if you called Bangkok Hospital in Bkk and ask them to liaise with their branch in Phuket?

Hospital number:

Bangkok branch:

Bangkok Hospital Medical Center

2 Soi Soonvijai 7, New Petchburi Road

Bangkapi , Huay Khwang Bangkok 10310

Tel. (+66) 2310-3000 or 1719 (local calls only)

Contact Center

Tel. (+662) 310-3344 Fax. (+662) 755-1310

Emergency Services

Tel. (+662) 310-3456 Fax. (+662) 310-3132

Phuket:

Bangkok Hospital Phuket

2/1 Hongyok Utis Rd., Muang District, Phuket, 83000, Thailand.

Tel : +66 (0) 7625 4425

Pattaya:

BANGKOK HOSPITAL PATTAYA

301 Moo 6, Sukhumvit Road, Km. 143, Naklua, Banglamung, Chonburi, Thailand 20150

Tel. 1719 Overseas Call: +66 3825 9999

what about adding a blood type field to the profiles?

We could all fill them out.... then two years later when an urgent need for a perticular blood type happens.... those members known to have that blood type can get emailed right away?

We are looking into this. We had such database a few years ago, and even a website built up. Will revert asap regarding this.

We could all fill them out.... then two years later when an urgent need for a perticular blood type happens.... those members known to have that blood type can get emailed right away?

im o negative also, staying in pats at the min, if i can be of help let me know

im o negative also, staying in pats at the min, if i can be of help let me know

Thanks. Please email Chris at [email protected]

RENEWED URGENT REQUEST:

One of our members, long-term Phuket resident Paul James, owner of the Expat Hotel in Phuket, is in urgent need of O-negative blood. This blood type is very rare in Thailand, only about 7% of all westerners are type O negative.

Donations of his blood type can be made at Vachira Phuket Hospital, every day between 9am and 3pm. Vachira Phuket is located on Yaowarat Road in Phuket City.

Donors are asked to go to the blood center at Vachira Phuket and state that their donation should be designated specifically for Paul James.

Please note that donation of any other blood type than O negative is not requested at this time.

-- Phuket 2009-02-04

Im O negative and I live in Pattaya, can I donate my blood at Bangkok General Hospital?

Not sure about the Thai Red Cross, but the Aust Red Cross doesn't allow donations from anyone that has had sex with a Thai in Thailand during the past 10 years. Sex with a Thai in any other country is OK, but apparently Thai people pick up HIV going through immigration in Thailand. This is according to a Dr at the Parramatta branch of the Blood Bank. Due to this, my 50th was my last. I'm O+, so not much help this time - hope the rules with the RCBB are a bit better there.

No flames - this happened & I'm not happy with them over it.

HELLO!!! my blood is 0Rh negativ and this time i live in pattaya with my son and with my girlfriend and her daughter.we are planed to

go to phuket for a short time so if He still need the blood i can give him every day.only thing that i ask you to book for me accomodation.

thanks and have a nice day and good health for a Mr.

The person that needed the O- blood has received it and has had the operation.

Blood now isn't needed, but, maybe people with O- could still donate as this is a very rare blood group in Thailand.

Blood IS urgently needed again. I was in contact with Phuket this morning, and this is for sure a renewed request.

The person that needed the O- blood has received it and has had the operation.

Blood now isn't needed, but, maybe people with O- could still donate as this is a very rare blood group in Thailand.

Blood IS urgently needed again. I was in contact with Phuket this morning, and this is for sure a renewed request.

Hi. I work for the Phuket Gazette and would like to write about this. If this person is still urgently in need of blood we could also run an appeal on out website. Could someone who knows the latest please PM me urgently [phone number removed]?

Thanks,

James

phuketjames, I know you mean well, and thank you for offering to help

however, for privacy and security reasons, Ive removed your phone number and asked members to contact you by PM.

as George mentioned, the request and urgency of it is certainly genuine. The hospital contacted George again this morning, and have provided with the info as posted in the OP.

perhaps your best way to confirm and get more details is by emailing:

Chris at

[email protected]

I am O Neg live in Samui if I can help please let me know (email address removed by mods)

Not sure about the Thai Red Cross, but the Aust Red Cross doesn't allow donations from anyone that has had sex with a Thai in Thailand during the past 10 years. Sex with a Thai in any other country is OK, but apparently Thai people pick up HIV going through immigration in Thailand. This is according to a Dr at the Parramatta branch of the Blood Bank. Due to this, my 50th was my last. I'm O+, so not much help this time - hope the rules with the RCBB are a bit better there.

No flames - this happened & I'm not happy with them over it.

RENEWED URGENT REQUEST:

-- Phuket 2009-02-04

I had a colleague who had a similar request for blood. He asked all the staff where I work if they could give blood. I wanted to give blood but I'm not sure what my blood group is.

I would gladly give blood to the expat in Phuket but I'm in Bangkok.

Maybe some sort of expat blood donor scheme could be introduced in areas that have a high concentration of expats. I believe that the farang and Asian blood groups are usually different? It would be a good idea to have a blood bank available for when it is required and for emergancies. This would benefit all.

I hope that the guy in Phuket manages to get his O-negative blood and wish him well.

I am O group and am in Patong but I don't know if + or -. I think I should know and should register somewhere and donate. Can I do this in Bangkok Hospital Patong?

Unfortunately it cannot be done in Patong hospital. Best thing is to come to Vachira and they will check whether your Rh in positive or negative.

Im O negative and I live in Pattaya, can I donate my blood at Bangkok General Hospital?

It might be possible! Please email Chris at [email protected]

I sent an email to Chris at 11:11 exactly and offered to help, but so far at 13:56 I did not get a reply from him. So MODs, if you really are in need of help orchestrate this whole thing to a level that there is free flow of communication.

All those in BKK, especially those with O- blood, that are interested in a general donation now and in the future can go to the Thai Red Cross on Henry Dunant Road every day from 8:30-15:30 with extended hours Tuesday Thursday 7:30-7:30, next to Chulalongkorn Univeristy. Only 7 in 1000 Thais have type O neg blood.

Thai rules allow you to give once every 3 months must be under age 60. They also ask about drug use, pregnancy & menstration, time in prison, Hepititus or HIV, same sex relationships of you and your partner, recent surgery dental work tattoos as well as a few other questions. There is usually someone there that speaks English that can assist you. The phone number is 02-263-9600to99, there are other locations run by the red cross that also opperate at a few hospitals and malls around town but on specific days.