Edge Usb Modem

TOQ

I have an Edge USB modem with an AIS sim. At times the connection speed is beyond terrible to semi tolerable. Is there any way to add a booster to the modem to see if I can increase the signal strength. Is an external mounted booster out of the question ?

thanks,

john

I have an Edge USB modem with an AIS sim. At times the connection speed is beyond terrible to semi tolerable. Is there any way to add a booster to the modem to see if I can increase the signal strength. Is an external mounted booster out of the question ?

thanks,

john

If you are sure the modem is EDGE capable, you can easily try a Dtac SIM card. Most of the time in my area Dtac is much better.

What does it cost minute/hour to operate

thanks

I don't buy the packages anymore, but both AIS and Dtac have similar packages that work out to about 4 baht per hour. Without the package, I think both are about 1 baht per minute.

thanks,

john

If you are sure the modem is EDGE capable, you can easily try a Dtac SIM card. Most of the time in my area Dtac is much better.

I am positive its an Edge modem and Edge capable. It is a model SEGM-520. Where I live, up around Khlong Lan in the NW Dtac gets a pretty weak signal.. 12 Call gives better reception. I just need to find out if the signal can be boosted.

thanks,

john

How much bars signal strength you get?

Speed on a GPRS (EDGE) network is dependant on a few things. Signal strength is indeed one of them.

The better the signal strength, the higher compression the system uses resulting in higher speeds.

(kbit/s/slot)

MCS-1 8.80

MCS-2 11.2

MCS-3 14.8

MCS-4 17.6

MCS-5 22.4

MCS-6 29.6

MCS-7 44.8

MCS-8 54.4

MCS-9 59.2

As you can see from the above table, maximum compression (MCS-9, when almost under the cell tower) gives almost 60 kbps per slot. On very weak signal strength this can drop to just 9 kbps!

The second thing influencing speed is the load on your local cell tower. When there are very few phone calls being done, you'll get 4 slots. So your top speed would then be 4 times 60 kbps, or 240 kbps when having full signal strength. On a weak signal you might only get 36 kbps (4 times 9).

Now, since the GSM system gives priority to voice calls, when a lot of people are making calls the system will take away slots from your data connection to allow those phone calls to happen. So during peak calling times you might end up with only two slots, meaning only 120 kbps at maximum signal strength.

So you might have low signal, or you might be in an area where the cell tower covers a big area and many people are making calls. Happens a lot for example in an area where no fixed phone lines are available and everybody relies on the mobile network.

A signal booster will only help if the reason of your low speeds is signal strength (half or less of the available bars on your signal strength indicator).