Civic V. Crv

Komerican

I am going to shop for my first car in Bangkok. I want to travel countryside on weekends to explore Thailand. In Bangkok, I think the Civic is big enough to be safe to drive around but what about driving around in countryside? Are all the roads paved? Do I need 4wd to get around? I think all the major roads are paved but what about rural areas? Thank you all in advance for any input.

Hi there, I have a 2004 civic and haven't had much trouble travelling in the countryside. Recently wen't up to Hellfire Pass, north of Kanchanaburi. The roads were generally good. Also, mine is lowered with low profile tyres, but could still manage the (paved) roads. I would imagine a regular car will take you most places. Mind you on some roads the crv might be better, as it has more clearance and could deal with potholes better. I think the crv is a 'light offroader', so if you want to frequent heavy terrain alond the border areas a proper 4wd might be better.

Thanks, culicine. I am not looking to go deep into the woods. :o However, when I played golf near Chonburi area 4years ago I remember that roads off the main highway was unpaved with a lot of potoles. I don't think Civic would manuver well in that kind of condition and I don't know whether that is the normal road condition, out of the city limits, or not.

You don't need 4x4 to get to golf courses in Thailand. Any car will do. Indeed unless you plan to drive cross country, where there are no roads, 2 wheel drive will get you everywhere you need to go including along all the gravel routes in remoter parts.

I do plan to drive cross country but I also plan to stay on the road. :o