'Ruling out the foreigner'

Some may argue that the family need not break up if the Thai member(s) of the family join the foreign member(s) back to his/her/their homecountry. Maybe, but this would mean that Thailand is expelling Thai Nationals from their own homeland because they made the mistake to have a foreign family member.
Please take this opportunity to make your case. How will families be forced to split up? Remember that I have access to the same article and will be watching closely which arguments you cite to back your argument.
The laws in the western world to keep immigrants out are far worse than those in Thailand. Try to immigrate to the US or Europe and see what you will get.

Mr Vietnam is right. You guys thought you'd stumbled on a place where western-style immigration curbs (such as they are - they still seem pretty weak to me) don't apply. You were wrong.

""Viet Nam will be happy in coming years to receive those who like to live and work in Southeast Asia but are no longer wellcome in Thailand.""

Oh you better not start wishful thinking on that one. Vietnam is definitely not interested in a bunch of people trying to live as some falangs are in Thailand.

If someone has something to offer, definitely yes. A backpacker, low budget dreamer, definitely no.

Mr Vietnam   :o

Fact is that the thaksin government can confiscate a heck of a lot more with these types of regulations than they can with continuing the system the way it is.

They at least think they can. And that's what government does. Why is that so difficult for some to internalize?

####, to get my wife back to the US, "I" had to prove she wouldn't become a public charge. Tax returns, financial statements, et'al. 40k baht a month is nothing in the real world and you know it. If you don't know it, try slowing down on the alcohol and clear your mind.

Then become productive and make some money. It's the best therapy I know.

Mr Vietnam  :o

MRENTOUL logic is not part of the equation in the debate here. In the past we have agreed to disagree, but I am with you here. Not one poster ever talked of the possibility of any happening to him or his family that might need a little nest egg to carry them through. Maybe the self sustaining  grower can do his own quad bypass.

You guys are just unblievable. It's got everything to do with logic, plus what is reasonable, fair and just. It's just a pity some people are too myopic to see that, and deign to dictate to others what they think is a "proper" amount to live on in Thailand. Mr'toul and others thinks 40,000 is fair and anyone on less than that is "dregs" (a semi-retracted statement), others including myself (who can quite easily support my family on less than half that amount), disagree. My wife would be the first to say "get me out of here" if she thought so. But is this really only about money and income? To the Thai government probably that's what it mainly comes down to, but there is another element, not yet considered.

The govt. here is vast top heavy machine that is going through the process of "modernisation". Lot's of offices are computerising and proceedures are supposedly being "streamlined". This raises the spectre than suddenly all those paper pushers are going to be without a job and shunted into the Min. of Inactive Affairs. \For some that might mean a nice early retirement package, for other younger ones it might be scary. So, what does one do? Simple, increase the regulations and rules and create more work for the boys, albeit more computerised. Everyone's a winner, baby! Think there's anything in it?

By the way Doc, he had the quad bypass done already - in Thailand (yes, helping the Thai economy don't forget!) and now is doing just fine. Right here in Thailand and doesn't want to move anywhere else.

5,000 $ is not much????

Maybe for you. If you work in Europe you would have to save for a year or so.

Thailand allready has enough poor people. Why on earth should they be encouraging poor people to immigrate?If someone has something to offer, definitely yes. A backpacker, low budget dreamer, definitely no.

Do you want to tell us that anybody  who earns less than 40,000 Baht a month is to poor to live in Thailand??? Are you mad, or do you work for the Thai-"Government"???

I think it was uncouth and insulting to talk about foreigners in terms of their 'quality'. Why not just state the financial requirement and explain it in terms of minimising the risk to Thailand of foreigners becoming burdens on the country rather than benefits?
This wasn't the only reason given. The other was that the government was worried foreigners would marry a Thai just to get residence. Foreigners who do such things don't sound like ''quality'' people to me.
Oh you better not start wishful thinking on that one. Vietnam is definitely not interested in a bunch of people trying to live as some falangs are in Thailand.

If someone has something to offer, definitely yes. A backpacker, low budget dreamer, definitely no.

Well put.

Not one poster ever talked of the possibility of any happening to him or his family that might need a little nest egg to carry them through. Maybe the self sustaining  grower can do his own quad bypass.
I agree. I suspect it's because some of the westerners don't have anything saved. They came here to escape reality after their previous lives fell apart, but rather than attempt to build anew they simply opted out.

I recall a poster here saying that working wasn't everything and that some people can leave ''harmless'' lives raising crops on a farm or whatever and that the rest of us should ditch our capitalist prejudices and smell the coffee (or something).

If it can all go so horribly wrong when the people in charge can demand evidence that you're worth just B40,000 a month then maybe your dreams are built on sand.

We all make choices. Maybe yours cost too much.

That's asking too much of these guys. They came here to escape all that!

You Guys are really too stupid!

As you know one is not allowed to do here anything, so how can you  rise the money then?

Foreigners can not start a business here as locals can do.

All the nonsense here is designed to keep the aristocratic ruling elite in power.

They want only two kinds of falangs here:

1. Whealthy retiries who will have a high monthly income flowing into Thailland from abroad or having millions to spend.

2. Big investors. That means really big, like multinational companys, which will bring in millions ( dollars not baht) at a time. Those will bring great profits to those in power since they will sell them the land and materials needed to start production here.

When they speak of improving the Thai economy they speak of increasing the wallet size of those who are in power.

They don't want small and medium size businesses here as these would benefit mostly the lower income groups in this country and thus pose a thread to the "superiority" of the so

called "high class".

And too many average falangs living here could give the locals too much knowledge of the outer world and real democracy, which is not wanted by the "elite"

I think many people living here are not at all  aware of the real live here, the daily slavery. The average "small" Thai person is somewhat like a slave with no or little rights, and the "elite" want to keep them there.

I think it was uncouth and insulting to talk about foreigners in terms of their 'quality'. Why not just state the financial requirement and explain it in terms of minimising the risk to Thailand of foreigners becoming burdens on the country rather than benefits?

This wasn't the only reason given. The other was that the government was worried foreigners would marry a Thai just to get residence. Foreigners who do such things don't sound like ''quality'' people to me.

Well put.
Not one poster ever talked of the possibility of any happening to him or his family that might need a little nest egg to carry them through. Maybe the self sustaining  grower can do his own quad bypass.

I agree. I suspect it's because some of the westerners don't have anything saved. They came here to escape reality after their previous lives fell apart, but rather than attempt to build anew they simply opted out.

I recall a poster here saying that working wasn't everything and that some people can leave ''harmless'' lives raising crops on a farm or whatever and that the rest of us should ditch our capitalist prejudices and smell the coffee (or something).

If it can all go so horribly wrong when the people in charge can demand evidence that you're worth just B40,000 a month then maybe your dreams are built on sand.

We all make choices. Maybe yours cost too much.

That's asking too much of these guys. They came here to escape all that!

at first i thought you were a wind up merchant and i admit i was wrong. it has suddenly dawned on me what your problem is. YOUR JEALOUS.you just cant stand it that other farangs have found their ideal life and do not need loads of money to do it.whereas you have probably had to become a wage slave to get what you think you want. :o

Dr PP, mrentoul, and Co. If as you say, officials from the Thai Govt do monitor this site, then MAYBE, just MAYBE they will see how much unecessary distress and anxiety they are causing to people that have a very GENUINE commitment, obligation, and duty to their THAI families here.

Dr PP You have several times intimated that we would be well advised NOT to continue to post in a negative way about these very harsh regulations. So, exactly what are you saying?

When they speak of improving the Thai economy they speak of increasing the wallet size of those who are in power.

They don't want small and medium size businesses here as these would benefit mostly the lower income groups in this country and thus pose a thread to the "superiority" of the so

called "high class".

Finally , someone who does see the real deal and not afraid to speak it. Well done. Im with you 100%.  All the do gooders on the board are extremely naive.

Dr PP, mrentoul, and Co. If as you say, officials from the Thai Govt do monitor this site, then MAYBE, just MAYBE they will see how much unecessary distress and anxiety they are causing to people that have a very GENUINE commitment, obligation, and duty to their THAI families here.

Dr PP You have several times intimated that we would be well advised NOT to continue to post in a negative way about these very harsh regulations. So, exactly what are you saying?

Dr PP, mrentoul, and Co. If as you say, officials from the Thai Govt do monitor this site, then MAYBE, just MAYBE they will see how much unecessary distress and anxiety they are causing to people that have a very GENUINE commitment, obligation, and duty to their THAI families here."""

Hahahaha that's a laugh. Someone who doesn't want to be productive enough to earn ( on his own) a thousand bucks a month is going to accuse the Thai Government of creating unnecessary stress for people?

Wrong. That's "your" commitment or should be.

Nobody's asking anyone to pee in the tall weeds with the big dogs.

They're only going to "require" you to show a minimal amount in order to show your credibility as a productive human. And those numbers are very small in comparison to the western world.

The guy ripping my house apart right now doing renovations is from England. He had to come up with over $100,000.00 in order to get a green card here. Bought a US small business for 100 grand and is now a millionaire here. I can mention quite a few Brits who have done this.

On the other hand I can also mention another Brit whose come here with nothing but earrings in his nose and is ripping off people on web development. Will probably be looking for a cheaper country to apply his trade real soon when he's deported.

The complaintents are searching for  Nirvava in which to continue with lazy and unproductive lives. Countried that are making real efforts at "advancing" themselves don't need or want you. It's as simple as that and if the truth hurts then too bad.

We won our "negotiation" in California because we ARE productive and we DO offer a lot. But we didn't whine. We just "walked". You should do the same and if they decide to change things to your liking then you'll find you were right. And if not then you'll find you were wrong.

Good idea to get a job in the meantime.

mrentuol, I don't even know what to say anymore. You are so utterly biased. For what its worth, these rules won't affect me at all. However, i think they are completley unfair and represent a bigger trend that may be taking place in Thailand. To that extent, I do have empathy for the farang married to a Thai who currently leads a comfortable life with 20,000 baht a month. 'THAT'S NOTHING!', you exclaim. Have you ever spent any significant time outside bangkok in 'real' Thailand? For many, that is more than enough. maybe you should also have to present proof of health insurance for those members who are so worried the poor backpackers should they have major medical problems.

As for these financial restrcitions preventing terrorists from entering Thailand. You don't think these people have access to US$1,000 a month???? if you've been paying attention to the news, security offcials across the world are concerned about heat seaking shoulder fired missles. Why such concern? One main reason, they only cost $50,000 a piece. These are well funded people. They won't even blink at these new laws.

YOUR JEALOUS.you just cant stand it that other farangs have found their ideal life and do not need loads of money to do it.whereas you have probably had to become a wage slave to get what you think you want.

I'm not the jealous type.

Then what is it that bothers you so much about other foreigners who lead happy and simple lives which do not revolve around their careers? Why the antagonism?

Mrentoul and Vietnam should get together and form their own forum, the rich and the workers. They could slag each other off every day, failing that create your own web site named rich&jealous.com

:o you could tell each other how wonderful your both are, and how much Thailand needs people like you. Sorry a bit off topic, but I think it voices most other viewpoints. :cool:

Mrentoul and Vietnam should get together and form their own forum, the rich and the workers. They could slag each other off every day, failing that create your own web site named rich&jealous.com

:o you could tell each other how wonderful your both are, and how much Thailand needs people like you. Sorry a bit off topic, but I think it voices most other viewpoints. :cool:

I just pissed myself laughing at that one!

Spot on.

Glad I'm not the only one getting a bit fed up...

I wouldnt waste my time on them. From the posts they have presented it seems obvious that both of them dont live in Thailand. They dont have a bloody clue what they are talking about.

I think mrentoul lives in Bangkok. And anyone who has spent significant time in Thailand knows that Bangkok is very different from the rest of Thailand, especially when you're not in the typical tourist places i.e. Samui, Phuket, Chiang Mai, pattaya. In his defense, maybe that's why he's so biased. He's in Thailand, but still stuck in his Western mind.

You Guys are really too stupid!

As you know one is not allowed to do here anything, so how can you  rise the money then?

Foreigners can not start a business here as locals can do.

All the nonsense here is designed to keep the aristocratic ruling elite in power.

They want only two kinds of falangs here:

1. Whealthy retiries who will have a high monthly income flowing into Thailland from abroad or having millions to spend.

2. Big investors. That means really big, like multinational companys, which will bring in millions ( dollars not baht) at a time. Those will bring great profits to those in power since they will sell them the land and materials needed to start production here.

called "high class".

And too many average falangs living here could give the locals too much knowledge of the outer world and real democracy, which is not wanted by the "elite"

I think many people living here are not at all  aware of the real live here, the daily slavery. The average "small" Thai person is somewhat like a slave with no or little rights, and the "elite" want to keep them there.

Ive read the whole thread and watched it from the start. Just my opinion of course, but this guy knows what he is talking about. The Thai / Chinese elite do not want foreigners on their turf. Plain and simple. Anybody who lives in Thailand and works for themselves, owning a business etc (not for a multinational company) can see quite plainly that these new laws together with existing ones make it almost impossible to reach the goals set by the government.  This is obviously the plan from the outset for the reasons rambutan states.

pschef , ( and similar et'al) why are you low on the food chain? Blamingme or any other producer is not going to solve your problems in life.

Getting off your lazy idealism may, but it's going to take time and effort.

Your anger is really a reflection of your fears and your fears are a product of the lot in life that you createdI certainly had nothing to do with it.

Nor would I.

Mr Vietnam

:o

Hahahaha that's a laugh. Someone who doesn't want to be productive enough to earn ( on his own) a thousand bucks a month is going to accuse the Thai Government of creating unnecessary stress for people?

Wrong. That's "your" commitment or should be.

no your wrong when the average legal wage is less than 4000 baht

The guy ripping my house apart right now doing renovations is from England. He had to come up with over $100,000.00 in order to get a green card here. Bought a US small business for 100 grand and is now a millionaire here. I can mention quite a few Brits who have done this.

comparing thailand to america is ludicrous

The complaintents are searching for  Nirvava in which to continue with lazy and unproductive lives. Countried that are making real efforts at "advancing" themselves don't need or want you. It's as simple as that and if the truth hurts then too bad.

We won our "negotiation" in California because we ARE productive and we DO offer a lot. But we didn't whine. We just "walked". You should do the same and if they decide to change things to your liking then you'll find you were right. And if not then you'll find you were wrong.

Good idea to get a job in the meantime.

so what about the waterlilly grower? is he lazy and unproductive? he hes already expressed fears about the new criteria.

and as for the rest well! is it possible for you to post anything without the need to mention your "sucess and wealth"information i find utterly boring . YAWN.