'Ruling out the foreigner'

17600+ views to 350+ posts..  

Both the number of posts and views have set a record for this site, I suspect.

This topic has also drawn record number of visitors to this site, even if they do not always contribute.

I don't think we're doing too badly at all.

[i don't think we're doing too badly at all.

Congratulations  Mrentoul!

However. I doubt that your figures will ever be supported by ABC interrogation! But they may still attract advertising.

Many of the posters may not feel that there is an occasion to celebrate - they are appealing for help and your celebration may be misplaced.

they are appealing for help and your celebration may be misplaced.

I think I'll start a new topic. Do liberals (in the Lefty sense) ever have any fun ... or are they always as dismal as this?

Even in this thread I've spotted a few anti-American rants. And that's despite the fact that we're right on the second anniversary of 9/11.

I'm getting off-topic. Please let normal business resume.

If possible...could we summarise? People presently holding one year non-imm visas will not be able to renew without money in the bank after July 2004...correct?

People get on wide tangents with these threads as new immigration laws affect all of us falangs.

What do we need to know regarding long term visa arrangements after July 2004?

Administrators please advise and encapsulate such that the information can be retrieved by others not part of the foregoing discussion.

This has been a huge thread with lots of input but we need to stick to the point...and to make the interpretation available to others.

I'm finished...all the best...

I don't want a pickle

just want to ride on my motorcy...cle

WMD ? where ?  :o

WMD?  Are they in Thailand?  

yes they are and beware. Just returned from Loi Kroh Rd in Chiangmai and spotted many.  Obviously well disguised to avoid detection.

Look for long tanned legs, Long dark hair and deep exotic brown eyes.  Usually found loitering in Bars and on street corners. These individuals if given half a chance are definitely capable of been WMDs!

what is going on here?

I thought this topic is to discuss about what can be done about the new proposed visa rules.

any chance the moderator takes some action to get rid of the people who only know how to insult others and resort to name-calling?

opalhort

whoever you are please view previous posts regarding a summary of the many replies to this thread.

Not to apologize but some of us were having a bit of fun as usually happens with chat lines. If you don't like it take it elsewhere...maybe set up a politically correct thread so that all of us without humour can be aware...

I'll bet that you got a huge mole on your forehead that prevents humour...

whoever you are please view previous posts regarding a summary of the many replies to this thread.

Not to apologize but some of us were having a bit of fun as usually happens with chat lines. If you don't like it take it elsewhere...maybe set up a politically correct thread so that all of us without humour can be aware...

I'll bet that you got a huge mole on your forehead that prevents humour...

tutsiwarrior you have to realize what you're dealing with.

Va nguoi anh la nhung nguoi hen yeu, nhu la tre chung vay khong!

You might not be looking for the promised land,

but you might find it anyway

Under one of those old familiar names

Like New Orleans (New Orleans),

Detroit City (Detroit City), Dallas (Dallas)

Pittsburg P.A. (Pittsburg P.A.),

New York City (New York City)

Kansas City (Kansas City),

Atlanta (Atlanta), Chicago and L.A.

Hit me!

Mr Vietnam  :o

Mr Hanoi...I would say 'get yur kicks on route 66' but new orleans is too far out of the way...

we'll let Fats Domino take care of that one...

Well...I got my thrill on Blueberry Hill and lets push the PC detritus to the side where they belong.

Those that presently object to this line please appeal to the administrators to condense the huge response to this thread...it would take a month of full time editing for that one but would be a good service to those innocent, freshed face folks that thought that they could live happily and without hassles in Thailand. If this news got around to a lot of people then the Toxim regime may look forward to a large part of their income coming from 'ghosts'.

Load of bullshit.

Tutsi, the sauce is thick, whew, :o  Look everybody I know we have a wish to be like the one and only Bob Hope, but whew, can't help but laugh so hard here.  Wow

Mr Vietnam, did you get my message?  ehhhhhhhhh, and JT I was just wondering if you can enlighten me on my simple que.

You know if we all folks got together on one big shindig in Bangkok it will turn out to be a RIOT and history making in that country.  Hehehehehehe, it will take a week for sure.

Then I wonder what the Thais will think when they see us have the good ol time spending among ourselves, and doing our own BBQ and have that Pabst and Hamms and getting our ringers doing the horseshoe.

Not to mention lets get Kansas Overture to play too, and climax it off with Earth-Wind and Fire!

:blues: :laugh:  :D

HI Dave, yes, but I think it would be a good idea for you to check out some of the info on the sites. There's a lot there and my wife is about to add a couple "thousand" additonal pages, ( after she translates the present ones into Vietnamese) ( She has a lot of work to do!)

But I will reply to you sometime today.

Tutsi, I hate Hanoi.

SaiGon is where it's at........:o

Regards

Mr Vietnam

:D

Chua phu ho cho nuoc my !

after having read the last pages (30-37 or something) I finally realised that MOST OF YOU are not at all interested  (or - at least - bored) about this very important topic. Looks like as if (those of) you switch back into position: ..."who the ###### the cares? I am feeling well and thats ok"...

For me in person I still feel very uncomfortable about the initiate topic (new visa regulations) and it would be very much appreciated if there is comments posted that will head into possible solutions WHAT TO DO against discriminizing farangs in LOS.

Once again, somebody here feeling the same as I do? WHERE to go? WHAT to do? Should it be Thailand or better some other place in asia?

dear viet,

got the point. and got the money to do whatever fits. Thailand has been no. 1 in my plans ever since but reading all the discussions here makes me feel like "reconsider plans". As you maybe know it is not easy to go that final step. "Should I stay or should I go" (nice song)? We ALL know, one of the MAIN reasons to leave our home country is b-coz of easy living and easy women. Easy women still might be a point for Thailand (got no woman now, not married, no kids, 37 yrs of age and real good looking...). BUT - on the other hand - I do not want to emigrate if (new) regulations of that special country somehow DO NOT WANT ME to stay unless paying money all the time. Sure I know there is no difference to our origin countries as it refers f.ex. to Thailand: as long as you pay it is okay. BUT still there is an (emigrants) wish to establish better life. So Viet, I am not stupid or straight emigrate thinking that much as if it would not be a major concern. IF I leave I do it for-ever. POINT. And again, I am not leaving just b-coz of any (easy) woman. I am leaving due to system rules. Want to have tranquility. Patience. Silence. And I do not know if this refers to Thailand any longer. Predicted 2004 new visa regulations just might be the BEGINNING of a "you are not welcome"  way. Whatabout Vietnam? They maybe copy some time too. HOW can I be almost sure to organise "normal" life? I DO know there has to be paid some black money WHERE-EVER I go. And (somehow) I agree. But new LOS regulations are too much official. I am not willing to present my financial situation to ANYBODY. Got your point about U.S. comparison (have been to both states, just as a tourist) but I think Asia is different. Not at all predictable. What will happen next year? What will be in 2010? Most of you will tell me now ... ok, so if you are chicken, stay home where you are right now..." but this is NOT what I am thinking of. Do we have a chance to succeed?

joinme2leave

(forget about the"Mr". I am just 36 yrs in age...)

Hey Guys,

Forgive me if I don't get the ruling out the foreigner bit. Maybe I do understand the point, but not why you think it is aimed at westerners.

1) They are asking you to have the equivalent of 10k USD in reserves if you want to settle in their country for 1 year. Is that really so much to ask?

2) For the last year I read you guys talking about how they think westerners have so much money. True or not, if they believe this, then why is it discrimination to ask you to have such a small nest egg?

3) Think of the guys from Africa, and some parts of the Middle East. I think they will have more of a headache comming up with this, than the average westerner. Maybe it is more rational to suppose that this is who it is aimed at, not the falang.

I don't know. Life is not all that fair. If you have been living in Thailand, then maybe you should count your blessings, and feel sorry for this poor sack who lives in the west, and can only visit.

PS MR. Vietnam- Hanoi is cool, it is just very different from HCM, but sometimes different is cool.

joinme2leave.  OKKKKKKKKKKKKKKkk.  First off, lets consider this, so please evaluate this yourself.  Do you have enough income to survive at least to potential income requirement increases?  Right now you need to prove being single as you say, 40K per month, and 480K in the Bank.  Next year first increase takes effect 40K and 800K in the bank.  What about the next possible increase say it goes up to 65K monthly and 800K in bank?   Understand this is not working at all in Thailand.  If you do work you got to have a permit! If you get caught over there, without a permit there is a fine, and if the situation is really bad, they boot you out as persona non grata!

Now say you meet this part of the criteria.  You also have to answer to the Immigrations what good reason do you have in staying in Thailand?   Your single right?   Now think of a good reason to give them.  Ok say you got that down pat.  Now you have to have say a 1 year visa, which is it going to be, either an A or a B.  If you choose A, you got to be married.  If you choose B, you got to have a work permit and show them your registration to pay the taxes, plus and I mean plus show to them what benefit they have for you having a business in Thailand.  

If that does not suffice them, no go and they simply do not approve you your extension.  This means you got to say adios amingos.   Now if you are married and have invested in home and property there, now you can say and ask for special consideration to your case in explaining to them why it would be of a hardship to you to be forced out of Thailand, and a hardship to your family.

So if you are there and then for some reason you get married, make sure you and your spouse have known each other for quite some time, or they will question even the marriage as your means to escape the laws or skirts to them.

As of marriage, they want to see something LEGIT, and it is REGISTERED.  Not religious in any way.

For us to get a job in Thailand it is like fishing in the lake and hoping to get a catch.   Why, because if a company hires you, they have to fork over 65K baht a month minimum wage  starting next year if you are a USA citizen.  Whereas they can look at a Thai :o  and get maybe 10 men for that same amount and have the work done, and not have to go thru the hassle dealing with the authorities.   Get this point clear?

So before you make that permanent move, and forget about the women cause that alone is headaches as it is with them being women, look at your own situation and say next 5 years down the road.

Keep in mind, if you do go, when you transfer your money to a Thai bank, you also have to prove this to authorities that it came from the outside with a document (forgot what it is called) and have it with you when you :D on interview day!

So for safetys sake keep enough money at your home town for a place to rent, get some transportation and side cash for your necessities worth at least 6 months supply just in case you have to return back home, and also a one way plane ticket home on the side should you have no funds left.  Keep this for emergency, should you have to high tail it out of the land of smiles.

One other thing, Thai wages are tiny compared to what you are making now, or any place else in the world.  The Police officer just makes 350 Baht a day as I hear.  But for yourself you might have to spend like close to 30K baht a month.  Why, well figure in your rent to some place, plus pay for your electricity which can be substantial, plus the cab fares, plus your food, and neccessities, plus hire someone to wash your clothes, and anything else as of material things etc, and so forth.   Consider your expenditures.  Now take your total amount you have gross minus your expenditures and see if you can meet the criteria that the Thailand government wants you to have and prove to them that future 40K baht a month coming up in 2004.  

If not, then don't attempt to go as planned.

That is the sum and substance of what we all are faced with right now, so we are crying our eyes with tears.

:blues: ???