Tax Dodgers

Let's just say - totally hypothetically - that there was "this guy" who just could not get his head around his Personal Income Tax Return. And let's pretend "he" decided just to ignore it, and not submit any tax form at all.

Would the hounds of hel_l be set on "his" trail, or would nobody even notice?

Any farang worker had any experience of the Revenue Dept folowing up on them?

Let's just say - totally hypothetically - that there was "this guy" who just could not get his head around his Personal Income Tax Return. And let's pretend "he" decided just to ignore it, and not submit any tax form at all.

Would the hounds of hel_l be set on "his" trail, or would nobody even notice?

Any farang worker had any experience of the Revenue Dept folowing up on them?

How much tax???

Yes, I had a friend of mine that live in Thailand (legally for more than 15 years). He did not file a tax return, as he felt he was below the $80,000 exemption. During a visit to the USA he was detained at immigration....Turns out if you do not file each year for the exemption, than you own the money starting at dollar zero...you cannot back date the returns.

It was a very expensive lesson for him....(He is still making payments).

They will find you mate,eventualy,and you will have to pay back big interest too.

No......will wait for 4 years, just 1 year before the statute of limitation expires, so there is some nice penalty / intrest in your account, and then send a junior no name to try to strike a undertable deal with you.....

Did not dodge taxes, company filled out their form wrong ( mine was right :o ) , and they tried to extort me (years back ). ( which I did not buy into - my position, if i am wrong, fine me, but i aint paying extortion even if cheaper ).

Case ended up going dead after company rectified their erroneous documents.

Edited by skippybangkok

Aha, I will pass on the information to "this guy".

In actual fact, he is pretty sure he has paid all due taxes, but having changed jobs towards the end of the year, misplaced pay slips/tax info and generally just having a mental block when it comes to beaurocracy, "he" was hoping to just ignore the issue and let it disappear.

"He" guesses "he" was wrong.

Yes, I had a friend of mine that live in Thailand (legally for more than 15 years). He did not file a tax return, as he felt he was below the $80,000 exemption. During a visit to the USA he was detained at immigration....Turns out if you do not file each year for the exemption, than you own the money starting at dollar zero...you cannot back date the returns.

Was this quite a few years ago that he was caught? I'm not sure if they do that anymore.

They will find you mate,eventualy,and you will have to pay back big interest too.

No......will wait for 4 years, just 1 year before the statute of limitation expires, so there is some nice penalty / intrest in your account, and then send a junior no name to try to strike a undertable deal with you.....

Did not dodge taxes, company filled out their form wrong ( mine was right :o ) , and they tried to extort me (years back ). ( which I did not buy into - my position, if i am wrong, fine me, but i aint paying extortion even if cheaper ).

If you’re talking about US income taxes, the clock doesn’t start ticking on the statute of limitations for tax related matters until you file you income tax return for a given year. In other words, if you didn’t file any returns for the past 10 years, the IRS can go back and charge tax & penalties for all 10 of those years. However once you file, absent fraud, they can only go 3 years back to question your returns.

If you’re talking about US income taxes, the clock doesn’t start ticking on the statute of limitations for tax related matters until you file you income tax return for a given year. In other words, if you didn’t file any returns for the past 10 years, the IRS can go back and charge tax & penalties for all 10 of those years. However once you file, absent fraud, they can only go 3 years back to question your returns.

Not sure about the law exactly, but i think they have 5 years to bring a case against u. It was very suspicious why they waited for 4 years to raise something against me.

Good thing its most likely in my file now, and any future extortionist ( aka tax offical ) will give it a pass as its is too much work for no result.

If you're talking about US income taxes, the clock doesn't start ticking on the statute of limitations for tax related matters until you file you income tax return for a given year. In other words, if you didn't file any returns for the past 10 years, the IRS can go back and charge tax & penalties for all 10 of those years. However once you file, absent fraud, they can only go 3 years back to question your returns.

Not sure about the law exactly, but i think they have 5 years to bring a case against u. It was very suspicious why they waited for 4 years to raise something against me.

Good thing its most likely in my file now, and any future extortionist ( aka tax offical ) will give it a pass as its is too much work for no result.

Don't know the details of your case so it's hard to comment. But, according to the IRS, had you filed for the tax return for the year in question?

There might be some tax items that have longer than a 3 year statute of limitations. If they think that they can prove fraud, for instance, they can go back further (maybe forever) but proving fraud is rarely an easy matter since it requires them to establish that what you did was not accidental nor due to a reasonable misintepretation of the rules. Some non-fraud related matters might have longer than a 3 year statute of limitations as well. But if they claimed that they never got your return, they can come after you 30 years later if they want.

Edited by OriginalPoster

That is a bunch of BS and an out right lie on your part. As a CPA I can tell you that before any arrest warrant would be issued for back taxes you would have to be at least audited. In addition, before the audit you would be given plenty of opportunities to explain you situation.

You should NEVER post crap you have no idea what your talking about. Anybody who has read this remark just ignore it, he has no idea what he is talking about.

In fact all the posters who are ranting and raving on about the US IRS...statute of limitations, fines..jail and all the other cr*p that has been written so far should go back and read what the OP was asking..

...He was asking about the Thai tax department not the f*kcing IRS....whole lot of you should go back to school to learn to read English... :o

In fact all the posters who are ranting and raving on about the US IRS...statute of limitations, fines..jail and all the other cr*p that has been written so far should go back and read what the OP was asking..

...He was asking about the Thai tax department not the f*kcing IRS....whole lot of you should go back to school to learn to read English... :D

good post Soutpeel :o