Thailand Or Central America

KMixon

Hello. My husband and I are trying to plan our next vacation. Last summer we traveled to Thailand and simply fell in love. We almost decided to move there. We will return someday but I wanted to get some of your opinions. On the table is Costa Rica and Panama OR back to Thailand. How many of you have been to Central America and what are your thoughts on it. Would you rather vacation in CR and Panama or should we travel back to the land of smiles. I'm curious to see what you think, if you have traveled to both. What are your pro's and con's? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Kelly

Hello. My husband and I are trying to plan our next vacation. Last summer we traveled to Thailand and simply fell in love. We almost decided to move there. We will return someday but I wanted to get some of your opinions. On the table is Costa Rica and Panama OR back to Thailand. How many of you have been to Central America and what are your thoughts on it. Would you rather vacation in CR and Panama or should we travel back to the land of smiles. I'm curious to see what you think, if you have traveled to both. What are your pro's and con's? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Kelly

Hi,

just a quick one.

Having been to the places you mention, Thailand is in its own league.

No doubt about that.

Question: You almost decided to move here, after one vacation?

Talk about love at first sight. Guess your question is answered then.

;-)

Welcome back.

:-)

I have spent some time in Panama on several different trips there. I find it a very crude and boring place. I know a number of expats who live there and the highlight of their year is shopping trips to Miami! Crime is very high and the area south of Panama City is druglord territory. The sea around Panama is home to alligators. Not on my to do list!

Thailand is quite sophisticated by comparison.

thanks for the replies. you all are certainly swaying me in the Thailand choice. Keep em coming!

2 years ago I went back to Costa Rica after not having been there for 10 years. I've spent A LOT of time in Central America but Costa Rica is now comparable to NYC as far as prices now. I had forgotten my driver's license but driving over there is far better than Thailand (the exploiting money from farang versus more fair justice system in CR will treat you far more fairly than Thailand could dream). My $10 was enough of a picture for my drivers license, though. There are gangs that come up from Panama to rop hotels gunpoint, etc so all the hotels now have radio contact with each other in case they come around.

THe lawlessness is more overt in CR but the justice is better in CR. CR also has a tax treaty with the US so the long arm of Uncle Sam has its influences all the way down there.

If I go back, i've always liked Guatemala. ALso if you own land, you own it. Nicaragua has made strides to copy CR but many foreigners are afraid the domain laws of former Nicaraguan governments will revise the law and steal land away from foreigners.

The culture is very similar with CR and here, being on the same side of the planet but since Thailand is and always will be horribly corrupt, prices will likely remain low in the smaller towns...jsut a matter of discrimination and tolerance. It's much less in CR since we're both latin based versus Asian and Farang differences.

Value for human life and focus on money, traditions, etc leave me with a better taste favoring CA over Thailand but it's getting harder to find a safe haven in CA.

So...it's all up to you! I prefer the culture of CA...I'd lean towards Guatemala and Honduras, though. Guatemala being cheaper....flights cheaper but in the cities, prices are going up. Costa Rica now is like Hawaii when pricing a vacation....VERY, VERY EXPENSIVE now (a turn off for me).

Well kids, we are going back to Thailand! Im so excited. We were there for three weeks with another couple (who fought) but we will be by ourselves this time for a month. Thank God! I figure we can always visit Central America, but having the chance to vacation for a month may not come our way again any time soon.

What are some suggestions on islands? We were in Samui and Phanagn last time, but figure we'll try something different this time. We spent about a week in Bangkok (loved it), but this time I think we will hit up Chaing Mai also. Hmmm...I will need to start on my research. Any Hotel suggestions in Bangkok and Chaing Mai? Nothing 5 star, but we want clean, safe places. Unless you can suggest a 5 star under 100USD.

Thanks so much for all your input! I really appreciate it!

I will be posting more soon!

Kelly

Don't discount a visit to Isaan. At the risk of offending alot of people, I think Isaan offers alot of what makes Thailand, Thailand. You will also find accomodation prices so much cheaper there. Not saying to spend 3 weeks, but a few days is well worth the trip, if only to experience the region and the people.

Ok, yea I admit I am biased. Blame my friends :o

Costa Rica is unique in central America. But even it has high crime. The other countries were all basket cases when I lived and visited there, 1998 to 2000. Nice places to visit, but Thailand is better for living and retiring.

always wanted to go to costa rica,nicaragua,guatemala myself,but nevet got there,and dont suppose i ever will,so will someone go for me and report back................the somtam nailed me for thialand!

Don't discount a visit to Isaan. At the risk of offending alot of people, I think Isaan offers alot of what makes Thailand, Thailand. You will also find accomodation prices so much cheaper there. Not saying to spend 3 weeks, but a few days is well worth the trip, if only to experience the region and the people.

Ok, yea I admit I am biased. Blame my friends :o

mee too isaan is a great province,especially like up around nong khai,also si sa ket and the old kymer ruins,very cheap area to live,and people super friendly.

Also liked around chiang rai and northern hill tribe areas,people friendly too and not so reserved as their southern cousins down near malaysia.well thay should it,i think their coming back to thailand.

Don't discount a visit to Isaan. At the risk of offending alot of people, I think Isaan offers alot of what makes Thailand, Thailand. --- :o

I´ll second to that. :D Who would take offense to a statement like that? Issan is very nice indeed. In fact it is so nice that many TV members sooner or later end up "owning" a house there, even if they all have a Thai-Chinese hi-so girlfriends...

Edited by Hawkup2000

This is an interesting thread. I have lived in Latin American and now in Thailand and don't think anyone could go wrong in either place. In the future, if you go to Central America, I do agree with Johna that from a tourist's point of view, Panama should be a miss and Mexico a must.

Once again, thanks so much for all your replies! I really can not wait! I'm looking into Isaan now. Also, perhaps a trip to Koh Phi Phi. Or is there an island(s) that we shouldn't miss? Any areas we should avoid?

When we were there last year, things were very affordable. I keep reading about current prices being slashed. Is this true? If so, by how much.

I really appreciate you all taking the time out to voice your opinions. It has helped and I know it will continue to be.

Thanks. Have great days!

K

I've lived in Colombia, China, the Philippines and now Thailand for anywhere from 6-12 months...

I speak Spanish, so probably I'm biased more in that direction, and Catholic as well. I think Colombia/South America is simply beautiful, but I was also working at international high school and making about twice what I make at a university here in Thailand.

For me, the cost of living (I live in Bangsaen, south of Chonburi and north of SriRacha/Pattaya) is more or less about the same. I live by the ocean here, in Colombia I lived and taught in the Andes. It's a bit warmer here...in Colombia, it rained a lot more but I never needed air conditioning or heat (in Armenia, which is between Medellin and Cali, but not as warm as either). The people are fairly similar (friendly, down to earth, maybe the South Americans were even more friendly and I was always invited to fiestas/dances/parties everywhere I went. Then again, there weren't as many farangs in Colombia (except Cartagena and Bogota) as here in Thailand, although I live in a university town with a BKK weekend beach crowd.

I do miss ESPN and English-speaking channels, but I suppose I could get a satellite dish if I was living here long-term.

I could definitely retire (far from it, still 39) in any of those countries I listed, with the huge exception of China (for many, many reasons which I won't go into here).

Edited by caulfield2

I do miss ESPN and English-speaking channels, but I suppose I could get a satellite dish if I was living here long-term.

http://www.dishnetpc.net/?id=jivy

I live in a 1 1/2 year old condo...so I'm not sure the owners would be so excited to have an unsightly satellite dish on my balcony...although I've never asked them, and I can get most of my sports fix from the internet, audio, streaming video.

I had DirecTV in Colombia....couldn't have lived without it when my White Sox were in the World Series in 2005.

Kelly:

Depending on your living situation, you could always trade off, a year in one place, a year in the other.

I have.

This works for rental apartments and hotels. My personal stand on buying property is to not buy in a country where you are not a citizen, unless you can afford to lose the investment. The lawyers in CR have moved into the crime business, there is no end of tales of real estate deals that, though the $$ was paid the deal never closed, if there actually was a deal in the first place. And then there are things like someone going to public records and, discovering something wrong with the deed (like a word spelled wrong) the SOB, with a little grease to the authorities, then takes legal action to void your ownership. This happens to ticos as well. But I've met a few foreigners in the process of buying property in CR who weren't going about it too intelligently, and as the great man said, never give a sucker an even break.

Lots of advice about Latin America, even Mexico and Colombia, neither of which is in Central America, and both overrun by druglords who kill judges and police, soldiers, alcaldes, etc. But it appears the OP has decided to return to Thailand. And I don't blame her.

Apparently, you've never been to Cartagena. Despite the heat, it's a beautiful/historic place and more Caribbean than you would imagine.

A lot of Colombians are returning there from the US to retire in highrises on the beach.

I wouldn't recommend anyone living there, though, who doesn't speak Spanish pretty well...living in the interior, well....that's dicier.

The most beautiful view I've ever seen in the world (except for Machu Piccu) is in Caicedonia, Colombia, looking at the sun setting to the west...I think an artist or writer would be so lucky to live there for the winter months in the States.

Kelly

:o I have a family in Thailand, so I'm biased. I've studied the possibility of retiring to Belize however. Unfortunately it is more expensive than Thailand now, and becoming more "touristy" all the time. If you are looking for a vacation, and especially if you like the beach and scuba diving, Belize would be a good vacation spot.

Costa Rica is a nice place, but some of it is getting "touristy" also. You can also go the "eco-tourist" route, but don't expect that to be cheaper than the regular tourist places. In fact just the opposite. I think it would be more expensive to visit there than to visit Thailand, but would be easier to get there from the U.S. (Not sure where you are starting from.)

:D