Is My Happy Pre-paid From Dtac Has Roaming Services In Malaysia?

RorneTan

Dear all

I need advice on this. I have a HAPPY pre-paid sim card from Thailand and when I tryto call friends in Thailand while in Malaysia, there is no line in my phone. I was told that a pre-paid sim card has roaming services and you can make call anywhere in the world to Thailand. IS this true or must I return to Thailand to convert my pre-paid to post-paid before I can use roaming services? If this is true, I also heard that the outlet will need a copy of my passport and work permit before I can convert the same. So is this true? Can anyone with expereince of these problems do care to advise me?

Thanks a million.

Yes, you need to register (with passport, visa/WP) to get roaming, and you cannot do it with a prepaid. You'll need to change it to an account - monthly charge was THB300 pm, (but it may have gone up).

Edited by samtam

• 2 months later...
You can get roaming on a Prepaid Card.

You need to register. It is easy and free. You can register using your phone with no documents required.

Details. Happy go inter.

my DTAC happy worked everywhere outside LOS once I got the "inter" enabled. The calls are VERY expensive though when roaming outside LOS and calls are 50Bht/minute back to LOS when calling from outside. DTAC can't enable Int'l roaming for GPRS/EDGE though, "Inter" works just for Voice and SMS outside LOS.

• 5 months later...

I am registered for Happy Go Inter with DTAC, but on a recent visit to UK was not able to use it to call either locally or overseas, despite receiving the DTAC welcome SMS, and the Vodafone signal on my screen. I was travelling with someone else from Bangkok, who has the same service and who experienced the same problems. Has anyone else suffered too? I have reported my experience to DTAC, and they say everything "should have" worked, and seem unable to come up with any answer.

• 5 weeks later...
You can get roaming on a Prepaid Card.

You need to register. It is easy and free. You can register using your phone with no documents required.

Details. Happy go inter.

Just some information for anyone about to panic (like me) because they cant get SMS confirmation messages from their internet banking.

I'm now in Australia finallising things for the move to Thailand and didnt think about roaming before I left. When I turned on my mobile in Oz (with the Thai SIM card) it was unable to find any networks. Panic set in :) How do I confirm a new recipient in my SCB internet banking without access to the SMS confirmation message? And I can t call them from the Thai number because the phone doesn't work here (cart before horse problem).

DTAC to the rescue

http://www.happy.co.th/en/hi/06_gointer_diy.php

The international assistance number was answered by a very helpful representative who after listening to my request and a few ID questions promptly said "that should be ready in about 15 minutes. You will need to reset your phone to allow the change sto work". :D You can ring from any phone - it doesnt need to have the DTAC SIM card in it.

Their SMS advertising drives me crazy but I'll be more tolerant of it in the future.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers 2SS