Bangkok Post On Internet Censorship In Thailand

farangnahrak

You are allowed to discuss the blocking, but please do not suggest ways to go around the blocks as that is against forum rules and could put Thai Visa at risk with MICT. Thanks

Forum rules:

We do not allow discussions of proxies or other methods of bypassing government blocking of websites.

Interesting that FACT believe that the use of VPNs to bypass the censor is NOT illegal, from the FACT website (link in the Bangkok Post article).

The result of this cybercrime law was to criminalise circumvention with one notable exception, the Virtual Private Networks (VPN) relied on by business to create a secure, private, encrypted channel.

This is not how I interpret the rules which as far as I can tell criminalise ANY bypassing of the blocks, it is the bypassing that is illegal not the techniques (which have legitimate and unrelated applications). Of course using a VPN is totally private so ANY illegal activity is pretty well impossible to detect.

Edited by Crossy

I think you can safely say ;that the tightening of the Military's stranglehold over Thailand is becoming firmer by the day. I do not expect to see Thailand as a free country for decades.RIP

Edited by dee123

I think you can safely say ;that the tightening of the Military's stranglehold over Thailand is becoming firmer by the day. I do not expect to see Thailand as a free country for decades.RIP

In the 90's the military simply shot protesters on site (like Burma does today). Today you just get arrested for 3-15 years :o

Or only 20 years according to wikileaks.

You are allowed to discuss the blocking, but please do not suggest ways to go around the blocks as that is against forum rules and could put Thai Visa at risk with MICT. Thanks

Forum rules:

We do not allow discussions of proxies or other methods of bypassing government blocking of websites.

I strongly disagree with sbk on this one. You are not allowed to discuss the blocking either as a member.

Two years ago I discussed how several Thai ISPs changed their name servers to respond with fake answers to dns queries. Queries for certain urls where non-authoritatively answered by providing the IP address of the Thai police website, showing you the page that the website had been blocked.

This was a discussion of the blocking method - more technically, it was a discussion on Thai dns servers configured for domains they were not authoritative for.

I suggested the use of OpenDNS to get reliable answers, a solution to avoid problems caused by illegal Thai ISP dns configurations. Topic removed.

In several later topics, even mods suggested the use of OpenDNS when Thai dns servers caused problems.

Edited by Prasert

Web censorship started modestly enough but by 2005, Thaksin announced grandiose plans to block "800,000"

This is kind of typical of web censorship nutjobs around the world, "the more the better". Personally I think that web censorship is just a political stunt. They know it doesn't work, so why else would they do it?

In several later topics, even mods suggested the use of OpenDNS when Thai dns servers caused problems.

A couple of years ago I saw a statement by the then ICT minister acknowledging that use of proxies and similar measures is legal and has legitimate applications. What is not ok is advising people to use such measures to avoid censorship. I think it would be the same with OpenDNS, which is a legitimate and useful tool.

But yeah, its bizzarre.

Edited by Crushdepth

I don't think it's important to go into technical details - whether blocking is discussed or ways to bypass the result of it.

I just want to make a point that on TV there is no real freedom of speech either. I disagreed with sbk on her view, but I got a warning from another mod back then. The rules limit my freedom to discuss it, as this is a personal moderation matter according to the rules. But moderation in general is also non-discussable while the forum rules do not forbid this!

So George starts a topic that discusses the attack on freedom of speech on the internet. On a forum where you are not allowed to freely discuss subjects that have absolutely nothing to do with Thai internet laws nor the royal family.

Crossy, got a link to the rules? What are the consequences?

Start here https://secure.wikileaks.org/wiki/Internet_..._Cybercrime_Law

"Circumvention software" to me includes VPNs.

Ummm... is there circumvention software that's not based on VPN? Pretty funny footnote, really. TIT :o

The comment was mine.

The article says "circumvention software or proxies". In my mind VPNs come under the definition of circumvention software when used to circumvent.

Evidently FACT have a different view, I wonder how the authorities view it.

VPN is the only legal way to go. If they ban vpn in Thailand then 70% of businesses that rely on secure communication can just pull the plug. Nobody will exchange sensitive business data on a non-secure network to Thailand.

The whole filtering/censorship thing reeks.... and it's time that people in charge see that sweeping the problem under the carpet does not make it go away. Let there be freedom and people will have the chance to make good decisions. Treat them as children and you open pandora's box. So much for thailand's ITC ambitions.

VPN is not circumvention software or tricks. It means Virtual Private Network. It has been in use for many years by mutinationals and SME's to link offices together by creating a secure (read encrypted) layer for their data to go through on top of the current (unencrypted) internet network.

By creating a VPN all data sent between those points is just a large chunk of encrypted data that is impossible to crack on short notice. That's what makes it possible for businesses to exchange iformation such as credit card numbers, managing remote servers,... etc

It is a technology, just as you have a technology called p2p (peer to peer).

It can be used for good and for bad things but it does not mean the technology should be discarded because government wants to pry on your data. That should not be the government's duty. I think in these times of financial crisis people in charge would rather think about aiding initiatives instead of stifling them but this is thailand. Tunnel vision abounds...

Thailand & Censorship = Is thailand trying to become like china? Regardless of what a country does trying to sensor things, just doesn't work, there will always be ways around this, I suppose if thailand really wanted to they could always make some program and put it on your computer to watch everything you do. ( similiar to a trojan, rootkit etc. This would work very well as most copies of windows here are

pirated

most people don't have any form of spyware / virus protection

we all know windows has lots of open ports

most people run administrator accounts

most people don't do security updates

most people use internet explorer ( can always trick active x controls )

can go on and on but you get my point.

of course most of this would actually take incredible smarts ( lucky for us thailand is gonna spend 500 million baht for web censoring. ) :o I'm sure that will work. just like the day when I get FTTH