Open Source Cure For (shools') Hard Times

dbucknell

That's "Schools'" ;-)!

If you have the time and interest, you might be interested in this talk I am giving at the Roadhouse Pub in Bangkok (corner of Rama IV and Surawong) on Tuesday evening (6:00 p.m.). I would be grateful for a few friendly faces at this event.

I will address the compelling reasons schools interested in sustainable tech-planning should take a second look at the benefits of FLOSS (Free/Open Source Software).

There is more info at iteachnet.org/event/open-source-cure-hard-times/2009january2 (see events, bottom of page) and also on TEN's site, thaiednet.org (sponsoring group).

Address: Roadhouse Barbecue, corner of Rama IV and Surawong on Tuesday, 10 February 2009 from 6 pm.

The evening starts at 18.00; my talk starts at 18.45.

(To get there, I take the BTS to Sala Daeng and walk towards Lumpini, turn left and run into the Roadhouse on my left: 10 minutes walk.)

*** Please forward this message to those you know who might be interested, especially those involved in schools, international or Thai. (The talk will be in English ;-)). ***

*** About the topic ***

"From my perspective, however, it makes sense to give students an OS that is not only free, but largely malware-free and now so user-friendly as to be an easy Windows substitute. If you don’t have applications that demand one platform over another, the ongoing evolution of Linux (especially *buntu) makes Windows a tougher sell every day, especially during further recession-induced budget cuts."

-Christopher Dawson, ZDNet Education

Thank you.

Best wishes,

David Bucknell

IKN

Edited by dbucknell