Bt Landline In Uk

slippery when wet

Hello all.

My wife and I are moving home soon and wish to set up a home phone and internet. However we dont wish to use BT if we can possibly do so as we have had difficulties with BT before. However BT sem to have the monolopy on their landline. Even if you use shy as an example a BT line is required.

Is there any other way so that I can avoid using BT.

Many thanks...slippery

Cable companies will wire a new and completely BT independent landline with internet access into your house/apartment if it's available in your area. Virgin bought out a lot of the cable companies from what I remember : www.virgin.net

Cable companies will wire a new and completely BT independent landline with internet access into your house/apartment if it's available in your area. Virgin bought out a lot of the cable companies from what I remember : www.virgin.net

There are many alternatives to BT, which vary according to where you live in the UK. I am on cable myself. As stated above, Virgin Media bought out NTL and Telewest and are currently the leading UK provider. They use fibre optic cables,as opposed to landlines proper, which use twisted-pair copper wires. However, the conventional landlines, as used by BT, can give quite good speeds with ADSL. Under the current UK telecom competition regime many other providers are allowed to use the existing infrastructure to delivery a similar service. Tiscali are one company offering a very competitive package deal for phone and internet at present. If you are planning having Sky satellite TV, they also offer a promotion for a bundle involving telephone and internet. The downside with Sky, as you say, is that you must also pay BT's line rental.This does not apply to other competitors like Tiscali, whose price includes the line. The comparison website U-switch will give you an idea of options in your local area.

http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/

Make sure you also check Tiscali though (which may not be on U-switch). I recently arranged a changeover from BT for my mother and it seems a very good deal.

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/products/?code=ZZ...srccode=COD_592

Edited by citizen33