Cheapest Solution For Gps Tracking

sillyfools

I want to explore some more of the city and don't feel like carrying a backpack along with an eeepc, 3g/edge modem and google earth + goops.

- What are the (cheapest) alternatives?

- How reliable is gps tracking. Even on a aircard gps lock with 6 satellites it showed me 40m off target.

Ideally it should be a cheap (second hand?) mobile with edge that has all set up to send my position to the server every x seconds. It would be greatt if somehow I can also press a button signalling a place of interest.

Any ideas long the mobile or any other route?

+ Has anybody used the iphone for gps tracking? Not just looking up your location but actually doing what I outlined above?

I want to explore some more of the city and don't feel like carrying a backpack along with an eeepc, 3g/edge modem and google earth + goops.

- What are the (cheapest) alternatives?

- How reliable is gps tracking. Even on a aircard gps lock with 6 satellites it showed me 40m off target.

Ideally it should be a cheap (second hand?) mobile with edge that has all set up to send my position to the server every x seconds. It would be greatt if somehow I can also press a button signalling a place of interest.

Any ideas long the mobile or any other route?

+ Has anybody used the iphone for gps tracking? Not just looking up your location but actually doing what I outlined above?

A windows mobile 6.1 phone with built in GPS chip ie: HTC Touch Diamond

Use with Google Maps Mobile Edition or Beeline GPS for more sophisticated GPS features.

All fits in the palm of your hand.

I have a little device I use to keep my drivers in line.

It has a gps receiver, has a built in battery and flash memory.

In the set up you can choose to tracking for pedestrians, cars etc.

After your walk you just plug it into your PC (usb port) and download the data. The included software opens your walk superimposed on google maps (or satellite imagery).

Tracks 24 hours on 1 battery charge.

Good thing is the price, 2,600 Baht Bought in TukCom Pattaya, top floor ITmart. Called Izen travel honey.

The software can even link locations with pictures you made using a digital camera on your walk. It does it by checking the time stamp in the meta data of your pictures. Just make sure your camera's clock is set correctly.

This might be what your looking for

h***://betalabs.nokia.com/betas/view/sports-tracker

h***://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/main/index.do

h***://mosh.nokia.com/search?find=gps

all you need is a nokia s60 v3

i can recomend n82 but try to avoid one with the v30 update as the earlier ones can .hmm. :o  be ajusted to 

run lots of free applications 

After your walk you just plug it into your PC (usb port) and download the data. The included software opens your walk superimposed on google maps (or satellite imagery).

Good thing is the price, 2,600 Baht Bought in TukCom Pattaya, top floor ITmart. Called Izen travel honey.

The software can even link locations with pictures you made using a digital camera on your walk. It does it by checking the time stamp in the meta data of your pictures. Just make sure your camera's clock is set correctly.

Thats seems to be a very interesting device from the information I found on their web site. But I have a great concern about the language. Is the tracking software available in English???

Thanks for an update

Thats seems to be a very interesting device from the information I found on their web site. But I have a great concern about the language. Is the tracking software available in English???

Thanks for an update

Yep, on installation it asks in what language you want to install.

Works good, you also have more expensive devices which shut down the gps receiver when no motion is detected for a few minutes, and fires up again when there is motion again. They last for a very long time on one charge as they only log when in motion.

The one I have logs constantly, so after about 24 hours the battery runs out.

Excellent reception as well! Can put it anywhere I want in the car, even under it and it will still track!!

Thanks for an update

Yep, on installation it asks in what language you want to install.

Works good, you also have more expensive devices which shut down the gps receiver when no motion is detected for a few minutes, and fires up again when there is motion again. They last for a very long time on one charge as they only log when in motion.

The one I have logs constantly, so after about 24 hours the battery runs out.

Excellent reception as well! Can put it anywhere I want in the car, even under it and it will still track!!

Appreciate your detailed update. Thanks

Even on a aircard gps lock with 6 satellites it showed me 40m off target.

How did you know you 40m off target?

Did you reference yourself to a survey monument in the same datum? Survey maps online could have errors larger than that anyway and/or datum shifts errors if parameters are incorrect?

GPS in navigation mode should be good to less than 15m and typically better than 10m without differential correction or WAAS, depends on the satellite geometry at the time of your fix. Elevation data is typically worse.

That Izen Travel Honey seems like a great idea. It isn't by any chance possible to push a button on it to mark like a particular point of interest?

On the current gps module connected to the eeepc it is about 40m off but that may be due to the building I'm in (about 80m up in the sky) and it always locates me in the garden of a nearby house about 40-50m away from my building.

I'm still wondering though if there is a way where I can both have it tracked and view maps in realtime (as to have some sense of direction).

With the izen it just keeps a log and when no satellite is available for some time you'll have a dead spot.

What about tracking on mobile phones in symbian or (if it's even available) on iphone. What happens when the gps satellite connection is gone?

I tried with an eeepc and a gps module in a cab and it was not even able to estable a gps lock.... I once tried walking with both in a backpack and kept google earth running but after 50m it lost synch and when I got home the rest was not tracked.

I hope to use it to scout out some locations to find a new townhouse or condo as well as looking what's around my neighbourhood.

I also read an article about the new google location service. How does that fit in to it all as it seems interesting but I'll need a 'live' instead of a 'pure tracking' device.

http://news.cnet.com/google-latitude-keeps...ends-locations/ (google latitude I meant).

Edited by sillyfools

That Izen Travel Honey seems like a great idea. It isn't by any chance possible to push a button on it to mark like a particular point of interest?

On the current gps module connected to the eeepc it is about 40m off but that may be due to the building I'm in (about 80m up in the sky) and it always locates me in the garden of a nearby house about 40-50m away from my building.

I'm still wondering though if there is a way where I can both have it tracked and view maps in realtime (as to have some sense of direction).

With the izen it just keeps a log and when no satellite is available for some time you'll have a dead spot.

What about tracking on mobile phones in symbian or (if it's even available) on iphone. What happens when the gps satellite connection is gone?

I tried with an eeepc and a gps module in a cab and it was not even able to estable a gps lock.... I once tried walking with both in a backpack and kept google earth running but after 50m it lost synch and when I got home the rest was not tracked.

I hope to use it to scout out some locations to find a new townhouse or condo as well as looking what's around my neighbourhood.

I also read an article about the new google location service. How does that fit in to it all as it seems interesting but I'll need a 'live' instead of a 'pure tracking' device.

http://news.cnet.com/google-latitude-keeps...ends-locations/ (google latitude I meant).

Yes, you can store waypoints with the izen by pushing a button.

You can also load waypoints into the izen, and it'll guide you to the waypoint by means of 8 directional arrows which will point in the direction you have to go. When you reach the waypoint all arrows will flash.

The dead spot when no reception you'll always have with GPS based trackers. However I must say the receiver in the izen is exceptionally sensitive, much more sensitive then the gps unit in my HTC touch diamond.

The izen happily keeps tracking in cars, and to some small extend inside buildings, long after my htc has lost all satellites!

Get any Nokia phone with built in GPS. Will prevent you getting lost and does tracking etc. So much easier to move around when you can see from the map where you are. And no need to carry two "boxes" on your pockets.

Avoid N95 as lot of reports on problems with GPS. Then again E71 is very good. You get reception inside buildings etc and it can be set-up for walking and driving etc. Maps are free, only if you want voice guidance then you need to pay...

Guest Bellini
Get any Nokia phone with built in GPS. Will prevent you getting lost and does tracking etc. So much easier to move around when you can see from the map where you are. And no need to carry two "boxes" on your pockets.

I am interested in this, too. Would really be nice to have to carry only one device. Does the Nokia save the track so that I can display it on Google Earth? Does it allow marking individual waypoints?

Many people are using their GPS enabled phones and seem happy with them. I would guess that they have never used a dedicated GPS. The cheaper Garmin units, such as the Nuvi 200's do not have track log capability nor are they water resistant.

In my opinion, the best unit for all around use would be the Garmin eTrex series with the sirfstar antenna chip. The units that accept a memory card will hold the entire Thailand map and can be used on a bike, car or hiking. Geocaching and many other handy functions are available. Maybe the best part is that they run on two AA batteries. Battery life is about 25 hours. A charger and good rechargeable batteries work great or alkaline batteries are very handy.

I also have noticed that on most phones, with GPS activated, battery life is seriously reduced.

On my htc I can run the battery flat in 4 hours using GPS, which would be annoying as I would lose mobile phone connection.

One worry less when having a dedicated GPS device!

I have an old 02 PDA phone with no GPS so the battery last for several days, I bought an extended pack battery for it so I never miss a call on the road. Using a sub 60 dollar key chain blue tooth GPS with its own rechargeable lithium ion battery (Nokia type) that runs a day or two of full use or weeks for short trips, I can see the real time position on the PDA phone screen and the GPS also logs up to half a million track points that will automatically plot out later to Google Earth or geo-tag the exif tabs of jpg photos taken with any time snyced digital camera so I can see the photos on Google Earth as well. I have a Garmin Etrex but hardly ever use it now.