Pay As You Go Phone From Uk

slippery when wet

Hello All.

My wife has a pay as you go phone in the uk and we are looking for the cheapest way to phone thailand by this means. My friend says that this is an expensive way but we dont have a home phone at present as we are in the middle of moving house. Any answers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Slippery

Hi Slippery, tell her to get a Lebara sim card, it's 4p a minute to phone a landline and 6p a minute to phone a mobile. just visit any phone shop and they should have one, they have a promotion on at the moment if you buy a £20 top up you get another £10 free. My wife got one 2 months ago, it's great when she is out of the house.

Brigante

Hello All.

My wife has a pay as you go phone in the uk and we are looking for the cheapest way to phone thailand by this means. My friend says that this is an expensive way but we dont have a home phone at present as we are in the middle of moving house. Any answers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Slippery

Hi Slippery, tell her to get a Lebara sim card, it's 4p a minute to phone a landline and 6p a minute to phone a mobile. just visit any phone shop and they should have one, they have a promotion on at the moment if you buy a £20 top up you get another £10 free. My wife got one 2 months ago, it's great when she is out of the house.

Brigante

I've seen these lebara sim's in my local newsagent - rates look good.

calling from the main mobile networks used to be ok if you used an access number (0844...) as they charged the same as calling from landlines, usually 1p/2p pm and sometimes free if on monthly (inclusive minutes).

they changed the rules a year or 2 ago - O2 are 20p pm via an access number on monthly and orange I believe are up to 54p pm (rip off).

I'd search on google - 'cheap calls to thailand' or the like. stick a few access numbers in the mobile phone book and use them. depending on the network it will be more expensive than calling from a landline, but will be alot cheaper than calling direct. either that or buy that lebara sim.

Hello All.

Thanks Slippery

Try this Free Free Free.

http://www.voipdiscount.com/en/

Hello All.

Thanks Slippery

I hope your wife has a Vodaphone Pay-as-you-go SIM card. Calling Thailand is 5p per minute landline and 15p per minute mobile. Minimum charge 20p.

Normal UK numbers cost 20p per minute, so it is actually cheaper to call Thailand.

Hello All.

Thanks Slippery

The cheapest option is T-mobile call their number 07755220919 and it costs a straight 3p per minute, unlike some 0844 or 0800 numbers who say 1p per minute but really cost 1p PLUS standard network rates (15p-20p per minute)

Also Three mobile on contract (i'm not sure for pay as you go) do unlimited international calling including thai mobile and landlines (unlimited meaning 3000 minutes) for 15pounds a month

Hello All.

Thanks Slippery

The cheapest option is T-mobile call their number 07755220919 and it costs a straight 3p per minute, unlike some 0844 or 0800 numbers who say 1p per minute but really cost 1p PLUS standard network rates (15p-20p per minute)

Also Three mobile on contract (i'm not sure for pay as you go) do unlimited international calling including thai mobile and landlines (unlimited meaning 3000 minutes) for 15pounds a month

3 is Contract only, t mobile is the same as mobile world which is run by Carphone warehouse but its a little dearer than this new lebara sim'.

Internet is best option i only use the mobile when out & about, these VoIP deals are great combine the 2 you can't go wrong saves a fortune i chat for 300 + minutes a week for less than a quid.

first I've heard of this T mobile set-up. cheers, I've stored that number in my mobile.

tbh I very rarely use my mobile to call thailand - just call from my landline at 1p pm via 0844 access number. if I do call from my mobile I've been using access numbers at 20p pm (rip off). so, as I said, cheers.

Guest Bellini
Try this Free Free Free.

I am using Voipdiscount on a regular basis and can assure you that it is not free, but I find the rates reasonable and am satisfied with it.

1. You sign up and pay EUR 10.
  2. You enter your UK mobile number in your account settings.
  3. Now you call the local (UK) number 01617002727, wait for a new dial tone, then dial the Thai number

For this you pay your UK provider the cost of the local phone call. No charge is made by Voipdiscount against your 10-euro credit for calls made during the first 120 days; after that Voipdiscount deducts EUR 0.01 per minute from your credit balance. When your credit is used up you refill the account with another EUR 10 and again get 120 days free.

P.S. During the free days (120 days), if you called for more than 300 minutes (5 hours) within 7 days Voipdiscount charges EUR 0.01 per minute until your rolling call time per 7 days falls below 300 minutes.

Edited by Bellini

The VoIPDiscount one looks good. Its somehow related to the one I use-- VoipCheap.com ; as the site layouts are practically the same, and the whois information reveals same owners, ip address, etc..

VoIPCheap charges USD$0.05c connect fee, then USD$0.01/min to landline or cell in Thailand. And they operate the same way, with a local access number in several countries (include the UK).

On a side note, I don't understand how Skype charges USD$0.12/min (w/o VAT) for the same thing.

Happy calling,

--M.M.

Try this Free Free Free.

I am using Voipdiscount on a regular basis and can assure you that it is not free, but I find the rates reasonable and am satisfied with it.

1. You sign up and pay EUR 10.
  2. You enter your UK mobile number in your account settings.
  3. Now you call the local (UK) number 01617002727, wait for a new dial tone, then dial the Thai number

For this you pay your UK provider the cost of the local phone call. No charge is made by Voipdiscount against your 10-euro credit for calls made during the first 120 days; after that Voipdiscount deducts EUR 0.01 per minute from your credit balance. When your credit is used up you refill the account with another EUR 10 and again get 120 days free.

P.S. During the free days (120 days), if you called for more than 300 minutes (5 hours) within 7 days Voipdiscount charges EUR 0.01 per minute until your rolling call time per 7 days falls below 300 minutes.

I'm afraid your using it wrong there matey 300 mins free from the computer to a landline in UK, or landline & Mobile's in Thailand & the US etc.

Sounds like your using the phone to phone set up which is still free but charges a 5 cent euro connection, great if you want to use your house phone to speak from in UKas it dials that number 1st then rings out to the Thai mobile you choose for free, if you enter your UK mobile into this system it will charge you 18p a min as UK mobiles are not Free

Why you dialling this local access number? You have shares in BT ? there's no need wasting ya money

As for your local provider charging you for something, again you are not using this correctly & its not Voip charging this anyway nor is it their fault, so listen folks ignore this its Free Free Free check it out for yaself.

The VoIPDiscount one looks good. Its somehow related to the one I use-- VoipCheap.com ; as the site layouts are practically the same, and the whois information reveals same owners, ip address, etc..

VoIPCheap charges USD$0.05c connect fee, then USD$0.01/min to landline or cell in Thailand. And they operate the same way, with a local access number in several countries (include the UK).

On a side note, I don't understand how Skype charges USD$0.12/min (w/o VAT) for the same thing.

Happy calling,

--M.M.

Its a company in Belgium or somewhere in Europe they have Voipbuster & a few others name's all with different tariffs, read the FAQ in them all, Voipbuster is also good both are cheaper then voipcheap for UK/Thailand calls.

I did have a compare site lost the link sorry it showed all of them on one page to compare which is best for you have a google for compare Voip providers,here's an info site to take a look at for those not yet familiar with Voip service's.

http://www.voipreview.org/

Well no one is listening to me... the 0844 number I gave in full will do the trick for 1p a minute - make it as complicated as you like

What is complicated about Voip?? only if you don't like computers, you must like them your on TV posting right now & free is free 300 mins is still £3.00 a week i like in my pocket instead of BT's.

Also Voip allows you to call 0800 for free UK mobiles 15p a min, same with 0845 4pence a min from Voip 10p + with mobiles UK landlines charge around 8 p a min.

To get back to the OP have you considered a internet phone I've just bought one in the UK for when i go back there soon, then bringing it back to Thailand with me, it was delivered to my daughter yesterday she says she is going to call me on it later to try it out, think this may help the echo problem??? let you know how it goes this is the bottom of the range one, i bought the 0ne you can txt from for £99 from Argo's online UK.

Also they say only one IP address per account well my Daughter shares the same account as me, when she logs in it automaticly logs out at my end so there's 2 IP address's.

The only time i eat into my credit is if i go over 300 mins a rolling week,then its 0.009 cents a min or if i call 0845 like the Doctors, NHS & other helplines using these numbers.

1. Philips VOIP3211S/05 Digital Cordless Internet Telephone.

<script type="text/javascript"> // run for product details argos.page.breadCrumb.init("productdetails"); <script type="text/javascript">doSiteCatalystTags();

5522435SPA66UC287624M.jpg

<script> function spawnRicherContent(URL,winName,features){ var newWindow=window.open(URL,winName,features); if (window.focus) { newWindow.focus(); } }

• icon_larger.gif

Philips VOIP3211S/05 Digital Cordless Internet Telephone.

552/2435

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/part...es|12108695.htm

i card

1.2p to 0800 number. Only 0.2p to 0845 or 0207 number.

http://linkstochina.com/RingChina/cgi/iCar...l=&des_in=t

Is the i card not for use from landlines? I'm pretty sure that using your mobile to call an 0845 number will be pretty expensive. Vodafone charges 20p a minute to phone an 0845 number not sure what the others charge.

It might be an idea to re-read the OP's post:

"My wife has a pay as you go phone in the uk and we are looking for the cheapest way to phone thailand by this means. My friend says that this is an expensive way but we dont have a home phone at present as we are in the middle of moving house. Any answers will be greatly appreciated."

Talkmobile have some monthly plans that have inclusive minutes to other countries including Thailand. I have the Simple Sim. It costs £6 a month and allows me 50 minutes and 50 texts to the UK or 25 minutes and 25 texts to Thailand or any combo of the two.

http://talkmobile.co.uk/pay_monthly.html

Well no one is listening to me... the 0844 number I gave in full will do the trick for 1p a minute - make it as complicated as you like

That's what I use from the landline at home but I can't see it being 1p a minute using a mobile.

Thats because it isnt its a s said above its 1 p a mninute + your service providers charge, 15p upwards a minute approx. I just tried the T Mobile number that wa s worse cost me 25p just to cal T Mobile before connection call lasted 30 seconds. Im on virgin PAYG and I know they use T Mobiles network.

Virgins website states this . So it will be this a minute + the 1p best price will be 16p a minute on PAYg with them.

National toll rate numbers (0870, 0871, 0844)4,6 15p per minute

Edited by yabaaaa

That's what I use from the landline at home but I can't see it being 1p a minute using a mobile.

Thats because it isnt its a s said above its 1 p a mninute + your service providers charge, 15p upwards a minute approx. I just tried the T Mobile number that wa s worse cost me 25p just to cal T Mobile before connection call lasted 30 seconds. Im on virgin PAYG and I know they use T Mobiles network.

Virgins website states this . So it will be this a minute + the 1p best price will be 16p a minute on PAYg with them.

Vodaphone Pay-as-you-go offers calls to a Thailand landline for 5p per minute and mobile for 15p per minute. You won't find better on Pay-as-you-go in the U.K.

Vodaphone Pay-as-you-go offers calls to a Thailand landline for 5p per minute and mobile for 15p per minute. You won't find better on Pay-as-you-go in the U.K.

Actualy you will, Lebara 4p a minute to a landline and 6p a minute to a mobile, buy a sim card, top up with £20 and get £10 free, couldn't be easier.

That best for the OP "I" dont need it I just use skype com to com free all day and night bit crap at times and yes I know its not really free but you know what i mean.

When I was last in the UK, I got a MobileWorld sim card from the Car Phone Warehouse. The sim doesn't cost anything, but you have to buy £10 of top-up credit to put on the sim at the beginning, but you do get to use the whole £10 credit, so the sim is effectively free to get. I thought the rates were okay against other pay-as-you-go sims, but I see there might be other options that are better priced. Regarding call quality, no problem that I can remember.

www.carphonemobileworld.co.uk

I just tried the T Mobile number that wa s worse cost me 25p just to cal T Mobile before connection call lasted 30 seconds.

I also did a trial run using that T mobile number and checked my bill online today - so much for the 3p pm flat rate!! was worse than 0844 access numbers I have.

back to the drawing board....

next, localphone. in registration process atm.

it's only from my mobile I need a decent rate. from my landline is fine.

Edited by game4shame

There are no cheap calls to Thailand from the UK.

When I’m in the UK I use my Orange Sim-card (UK Orange) which I’ve linked to the Orange ‘Camel package’ which is the cheapest I found for making call’s to Thailand or anywhere else in the world.

The cost is 20 pence per minute from the UK-Thailand

Local calls are charged at 25 pence per minute.

Check it out at your local Orange mobile phone shop.