True Adsl Pattaya

kellyjik39

Asked the same question to a technician I know at asianet, he told me it was for covering the high cost of the leased line to BKK, as all international internet access originates in Bkk.

I find this rather strange because I think True Chiang Mai charges the same as True Bkk (not sure though)

Anyway, if the service is as reliable as it is in Bkk, you can better go for one of the bigger ISP's who have cheaper packages. I use Ji-net (in Jomtien) and am very pleased with it at 1658 baht/month.(also for 256/128)

Does anyone know why TRUE (Asianet) Pattaya charge 1800/month for ADSL international 256/128 service. Seems high. Is it better in some way

I've tried Asianet and it was slow. I have a TOT ADSL line as well as a CS Lox connection. TOT is cheap but painfully slow, CS Lox is the best but still below standard in my opinion. I'm still looking for good service; if anyone else has found something better I'd love to know about it.

Does anyone know why TRUE (Asianet) Pattaya charge 1800/month for ADSL international 256/128 service. Seems high. Is it better in some way

I've tried Asianet and it was slow. I have a TOT ADSL line as well as a CS Lox connection. TOT is cheap but painfully slow, CS Lox is the best but still below standard in my opinion. I'm still looking for good service; if anyone else has found something better I'd love to know about it.

I too have Jinet here in Jomtien.

512/256 for 2600 Bt.

Is it good? Compared with Europe I would say overpriced and lousy, but from what I see offered here from other companies, I go for an "excellent".

Sunny

In a way I'm lucky to have been living here for over 10 years!

So I've been from all the lousy dial-up connections (first modem was 33.6kbps) to iptv(satelite) to adsl now. Every step was a huge improvement, so for me the Ji-net adsl in Jomtien rates an excellent, as I can't relate to the quality of cable/adsl in Europe....

Edited by monty

Having gone from dialup to TOT adsl I have to say that it is a good deal.

256/128 kbs for 500 baht a month!!

With dialup I paid more than that in isp fees and call charges.

Is it good?

Well, like the Curate's egg, "it is good in parts".

Sometimes it speeds along, other it crawls like a dialup link,

to say nothing of the 2 weeks it took TOT to get it configured correctly.

I too have Jinet here in Pattaya

512/256 for 2600 Bt.

Is it good?

For this country....... or at least this city, "Yes, it is good."

New to the forum, new to the area, I live across Sukhumvit off Soi Khao Talo. Have exhausted myself looking for an ISp and service proviser. Tried going to TOT office and got more confused. using 1222 is a real expierence but not a solution. Your mention of Jinet sounds interesting, where is the office located? I didn't find it it the directories nor could I get more information regarding where it might be so I could ask. Using the LOX dial up cards for now. Thanks.

cshehan, you're mixing apples and bananas I think. This thread discusses ADSL providers and for that you order Ji-Net via your telco, i.e. TOT or TTT.

For dial-up you can buy a lot of different dialup cards from the bookshops in Lotus and from many of the internet cafes. Ji-Net "Sharkbyte" give you unlimited Internet for two weeks for 179 baht (nominally, often you can get it for as little as 150, TIT). It's not bad for dialup access in Thailand and certainly no worse than CSLox, but if it was in Europe they'd gone bankrupt long ago.

Edited by madsere

hi folks

i am just in the prozess of looking for a new conod for myself

as i NEED Adsl to control my home company i did a lot of homework on that this week

as far as i see you have to possibilities

1 TOT only in selected streats close to their exchangestations that are for patty near carefour on corner central 3rd road

for jomtien that i prefered it is in what boon road about 500 meter from winchester blind bagger bar yes it is the place were the chickens running around :o

my first choice now is TOT as far as i know the promotion is as follows

256-128 500bvaht

512/256 700baht

1024/256 1000baht

as i believe you can already use it with tot web or so . so normally you want need a service provider am i correct on these???

but thy do not garanty the speed or availability on there tot web and thy tell you to better get an service provider like JI-net....

please who is using TOT without service provider please is it oki availabilty??

THWE MAIN POINT FOR USING TOT IS YOU HAVE YOUR OWN LINE you not share it

2 TT&T

you can choose from a bunch of service providers that you will need and that are offering you the complete package including the line...

JI-net is the cheapest

1550baht for 256/128 limited to 5gb of traffic after that your speed is blocked to 25k

2450baht for 512/256 lim to 10 gb traffic after that 50k speed

this is as all TT&T stuff shared with 1/5 people only the very xpensive SDSL lines are shared 1/2

so because of the shared ....shi..t ... i prefer TOT but would like to know how it works out without a service provider and maybe with one

mainly the jomtien area is of my interest as i believe it is not so busy as the patty exchange as it is neewly to DSL connected i guess only a couple of month ago...

i plan to get a condo in jomtien beach condo complex just 1km from TOT exchange does anyone read here and has ADSL in this complex???

be glad to get more infos and opinions from people that already using it...

thx

dms

Most Condo's have a main switchboard and shared lines.

It is to your advantage (if you are buying or considering very long-term rental) to arrange for a direct line to be installed. This can cost anything from 3,500 baht (a friend tells me) to the 18,000 baht I paid three years ago.

Now I am moving and leaving the IDD behind, so someone will get lucky.

I think most of Jomtien is TT&T adsl ready. Certainly NO adsl from TOT in Jomtien.

I heard the packages from TOT are quit dreadfull anyway with the international bandwith very heavy shared.

Ji-net being a shared connection should not be a big worry, since they keep the sharing limited, giving you always speeds between 60% and 95% of the rated maximum...

The 1550 (=1687 incl. the 7%vat) includes both the adsl line and the internet access...

To get a line you pay TT&T 2950 plus whatever your condo management asks to allow you a direct line (might be expensive). TT&T will handle the subscribtion to the internet access(Ji-net) as well.

More info at the TT&T office on the first floor in Carrefour, Central Pattaya.

So far TOT has not been to bad.

A couple of down times, but fixed quite quickly

Negatives -

No mail service. I keep my old CSCOM e-mail address, which includes 10 hours of dial in a month, which is a useful backup.

No SMTP gateway - I run my own, using argosoft.

• 4 weeks later...

So far TOT has not been to bad.

A couple of down times, but fixed quite quickly

Negatives -

No mail service. I keep my old CSCOM e-mail address, which includes 10 hours of dial in a month, which is a useful backup.

No SMTP gateway - I run my own, using argosoft.

hi

may i ask are you located in the jomtien area or in the pattaya area??

is there anyone at all that is using TOT adsl in the jomtien area??

as i was in patty in januar thy were making a new canal in the soi wat boon road there is also the TOT exchange does anyone know if they finished the roadwork by now??

thx

dm

TOT's exchange in Jomtien does not support adsl at the moment (and probably not in the near future as well)

They might be upgrading the road, but not the exchange...

Your only bet at adsl in Jomtien is a TT&T line for the time being...

I agree with the below from Sunny. I use TT & T

""I too have Jinet here in Jomtien.

512/256 for 2600 Bt.

Is it good? Compared with Europe I would say overpriced and lousy, but from what I see offered here from other companies, I go for an "excellent".

Sunny """

I have been asking TOT for 3 years when they will make ADSL available in my part of Jomtien. The reply has always been "we have a project planned for this year/next year".

Eventually I walked into TT&T and asked them if they could install a new phone line into my condo. Took them a few days to confirm that they could; and a few more days to install the line. Got my condo maintenance guys to switch the feed to my condo from the TOT line to TTT and I was away with my new number.

Pending the arrival of Jinet ADSL (which you sign up for at the same time with TT&T, but have to wait up to 10 days after line installation), I continued to use my Loxinfo dial up and found that it connected quicker (fewer re-dials) and was giving 10-15% speed improvements; so it appears that I have a better quality phone line with TT&T.

The first evening after JiNet called me to say my ADSL was available was a four hour swearathon with beer needed for medicinal purposes when nothing worked in spite of much keyboard pounding and dire threats against Mr Gates and all purveyors of things computing.

The next morning I turned it on and it worked faultlessly. I suspect that the phrase "we will activate your access tonight" was missed out of the telephone conversation.

Since then I have had no problems and overall it was a painless process to get hooked up.

Now I am off to TOT to cancel my phone line!!

Hugh

I'm using Jinet (tt&t) too and have absolutetly nothing to complain about.

Sure.. they're down once every three days.. but only for a few minutes.

I work using the net and I am probably logged on for atleast 10 hours a day.

( using my wifi to connect my laptop as i sit by the pool :o )

No problem so far.

512/256 at 2500/mnth is affordable since this actually works.

"2450baht for 512/256 lim to 10 gb traffic after that 50k speed"

Never seen that happen. And I download more than 10gb per month.

Best regards,

NoBuzz

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys.

I was just on the phone with JI-net.I am also loong for a neew connectn, in the banglamug area. Read your posts and JI-net came on tp in my opinion.

JI-net cust.service agent explained that for example the the packages DMS mentioned

("..JI-net is the cheapest

1550baht for 256/128 limited to 5gb of traffic after that your speed is blocked to 25k

2450baht for 512/256 lim to 10 gb traffic after that 50k speed..")

there are restrictions concerning where you surf.

I forgot already what the name of the package was (DSL -max or something similar) , bt they confimd to me to that these packages DEFINATELY restct surfing to 40%international wesites and 60% local.

Anyone have an comments on this?

I tought we were past that phase already.

256/128 with Ji-net, no limitations on surfing, is 3500 baht/month

and 512/256 is 6000 baht!!

I am speechless.Help.

SAMI

Hi Folks,

A newby here. I am moving to the Jomtein area in a few weeks. I have been reading the messages concerning internet connections. I work online trading currency. I am not terribly concerned with the speed of internet connections, but am very concerned about reliability. Are there any traders out there in Pattaya and do you find the internet reliability to be sufficient?

Thanks,

Doug

SamBKK,

What they probably mean is that they only guaranee 40% of rated speed to international sites...

Most of my downloads come in at around 25KBps, which would rate as 80% of speed. It does slow down a bit during peak hours but comes hardly ever under 60%...

Guess it also depends on how many subscribers in your immediate area...

The 5 / 10 Gb limit does not apply when on a TT&T line. I have regularly over 10 Gb upload/download on my 256/128 package without being limited in speed.

Hi DougF

Speed is OK, but the reliability is only so so...

If you're trading on the American markets you'll probably have hardly any problems since it's bedtime for most locals by the time the markets opens :D

To feel comfortable with your connection depends a bit on how you are trading. Forget scalping, to much latency, not the ISP's fault but only the fact the USA is on the other side of the globe :o

Daytrading is perfectly possible, I would only advice on having a dial-up package ready, so when your adsl packs up you still can dial up with your regular modem to get out of any open trade!

In my experience the adsl connection either works or it simply doesn't. When it's working it does so very stable...If it doesn't work it's most of the times for half a day or so so you can work accordingly! Guess they sometimes have accounting problems because at these times the adsl link is up but they don't accept my username/password...

With a decent back-up plan (dial-up and keep those 1-800 numbers from your broker ready) you really shouldn't be afraid of trading from here...

When I applied and connected my Jinet line there were no traffic limitations. But it seems that they do limit to 5/10 GB a month now. After checking their rules and regulations i found out that they do respect the no-limit for those "old" contracts! (Mine was from October 2004).

Sunny

Monty.Have you had problems the last three days,Sunday off all day till evening ,same monday.Off again on tuesday for about 3 hours.

Peeing me off.

Called them many times,they asked me to change login name,then password,tonight cant connect,so change again back to original to connect

Hi Monty,

Thanks for the info!

I gave up scalping a long time ago, I'm a contrarian swing trader, trading London and the US mornings.

Could you give my a general idea on how much it might cost me to get set up with ADSL and a dial up? I am moving there from the UAE....the service here is generally very good, but it is expensive about $70/month for 1mps.

Are there many traders there that you know of?

Thanks for your help, I'd be glad to buy you a cold frosty when I arrive.

Doug

Bartender,

Yep Sunday was complete zilch. adsl line was up perfectly but the PPoE kept giving me "authentication" errors...

Haven't had any problems monday or tuesday, but I'm not online the whole day, so might just have missed a 3 hour outage.

Got no clue what they are up to at Ji-net, it works like a charm 2 weeks in a row and then for a couple of days they have these authentication problems, and then everything is fine again for a while :o

DougF,

Pattaya is expensive as well, we don't have the real cheap packages as they have in Bangkok...

Since you're planning to come to Jomtien you'll have to go with TT&T as the phone line provider.

Applying for your phone line will cost you around 75 US$ (one time set-up fee)

If you plan on living in a condominium, a fee will have to be payed to the condo as well. Not sure about the price, was 30 US$ where I'm staying.

My ISP (Ji-net) charges me a little ove 40 US$ for 256/128. 512/256 kbps would be slightly over 60 US$. No set-up fee, just pay 1 month up-front. You buy or bring yourself a router and set everything up yourself...

As you've read in the posts they seem to have some problems with authentication sometimes, apart from that I'm happy with them...

Loxinfo has a comparable 256/128 package at the same price, but haven't heard about quality or reliability...

Oops DougF,

Forgot about your dial-up back-up :o

This is cheap, you just get a couple of prepaid packages from Csloxinfo...

170 Baht (4.3 US$) for 12 hours usage time. Once you use one you have to finish the hours within 1 month...