Expensive Air Con Top Up.

4.real

I used a guy name 'Songkran ' as he was recommended [this forum] to top up my air con.I was informed to say 'Mem' told me.

He has an office on Nernplubwam.

2 guys came and as I did not know what work was needed I did not ask a price.[told he was a good guy].

One checked my filters but as they had just been cleaned he merely replaced the screws.

The other had an almost empty gas bottle and had to shake it about to get any gas out.

It was soon done and I asked how much?...

1,300 BAHT WAS HIS REPLY.

As I had not asked beforehand I unhappily paid up buy hope that this message will help others to look elsewhere.

I used a guy name 'Songkran ' as he was recommended [this forum] to top up my air con.I was informed to say 'Mem' told me.

2 guys came and as I did not know what work was needed I did not ask a price.[told he was a good guy].

One checked my filters but as they had just been cleaned he merely replaced the screws.

The other had an almost empty gas bottle and had to shake it about to get any gas out.

As I had not asked beforehand I unhappily paid up buy hope that this message will help others to look elsewhere.

I had my AC serviced a few months back. This was arranged by the maintenance guys in the condo where I live, so I didn't pay much attention to what they were doing. Anyway, they cleaned the compressor and the fan unit (the amount of dirt that came off the compressor after just a year since it was last cleaned amazed me), and checked the gas. It needed an extra 30 psi and they charge 20 Baht/psi. So it was 600 Baht for the gas and 400 Baht for the service/cleaning, or 1,000 Baht in total. It seemed like good value to me, twenty quid once a year to keep the AC in good shape.

Did you note how many psi extra gas the guys put in your AC? Anyway, maybe the above prices will help you decide if you were really ripped off or not.

We use a guy on Theppresit road. He comes and cleans and gases for 500 baht. we have used him for 4 years and always been perfect. he has installed A/C in other propertys for us as well always the cheapest.

If you head south on theppresit from tesco lotus, passing the the old KR kart track and then the 7-11 on the corner of the road that leads down to the lion bar, (dont turn down that road, stay on theppresit) he's shop is about 400m past the 7-11 on the right hand side. about 4 units before the end of the row of shops.

Tall lean thai guy. speaks good english.

Highly recommended

He has an office on Nernplubwam. ...<snipped>..

A Segue...

I'd earlier posted, seeking recommendations to have my refrigerator repaired.

Two suggestions were posted; Songkran (as above) and NumChai, which is located on Sukhumvit.

I'm glad I didn't opt to use Songkran, for the reasons originally posted, but I was very happy

and heartily recommend NumChai's service dept (located behind the main store).

The took my the fridge to their shop, returning it 3-days later. It once again functions perfectly...

and the total bill was a mere 500-Bt! They might also service A/C units...?

He has an office on Nernplubwam. ...<snipped>..

A Segue...

I'd earlier posted, seeking recommendations to have my refrigerator repaired.

Two suggestions were posted; Songkran (as above) and NumChai, which is located on Sukhumvit.

I'm glad I didn't opt to use Songkran, for the reasons originally posted, but I was very happy

and heartily recommend NumChai's service dept (located behind the main store).

The took my the fridge to their shop, returning it 3-days later. It once again functions perfectly...

and the total bill was a mere 500-Bt! They might also service A/C units...?

Thanks to all for input.

The saga continues.

Songkran came ,said a starter was broken.Another guy arrived with new starter.Still no a/c .

Tested all said the compressor has gone and I need a new A/C.

Offered to get some name that I had never heard of for 19,000b.

As I believed that his not putting gas in my A/C led to its downfall I said I'd think about it.

He departed with no more of my cash.

My thai neighbour recommended Num Chai .I checked Lotus and saw a good 'Daikin' for 19,000 baht.

I will look in to Num Chai and check out theirs.

What is the cost [roughly] of having them replace the new for old?Any idea ,anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Buy at Numchai, install by Numchai and service by Numchai.

They also have a location at the traffic light, t-junction in Naklua, just along from the Bangkok Bank. In fact this was their original store from aeon's ago.

This is experience of a +20 year residency telling you.

NB. Numchai doesn't sell meat and veggies so don't dick with a supermarket for an airconditioner.

i was the person who recommended ''songkran'' on this forum. i have no financial ties to him.

i have used him countless times of the years for all kinds of refrigeration work, as have many of my friends.

this is the first time i have heard of any complaint about him

as to the cost of gas, a 25-30,000 btu A/C compressor will take about 1200 bahts worth of gas from empty.

a good filiter clean & service without gas usually takes him about 2 hours and costs me 400baht

i am sorry it did not work out for the poster but despite his comments i will still be using him for my aging A/C's that need a little more TLC than most

as to buying new, i just had x6 LG A/C units (x3 13,000 btu & x3 18,000 btu) installed in an new house i am building

i asked songkran first but he could not get the best price for me only being a small operator

i did ask Numchai but they were not the best same for same quote and felt that they lacked an element personal service

i settled on a company called BNJ A/C on Sukhumvit Road

they did an excellent install over 2 days, and has since been back (without being requested) to check on the units relative performances.

He had already been paid so there was no need to do this.

he made a few adjustments, gave some sensible advise on running the units economically and urged me to call if i had any problems

he likes to be called John by farang even though he is Thai, he speaks good english and he deserves a plug in my opinion

he is on 038 375062 or 0897477019

and no before you ask, no backhanders are in play from either A/C guy

They also have a location at the traffic light, t-junction in Naklua, just along from the Bangkok Bank. In fact this was their original store from aeon's ago.

NB. Numchai doesn't sell meat and veggies so don't dick with a supermarket for an airconditioner.

Couldn't agree with you more, if you have any problems then these guys really do have an after sales service.

I would endorse Numchai as well, quick, professional and tidy.